“Weekend at Wyndham clagier canyon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Glacier Canyon Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glacier Canyon Lodge
You added Glacier Canyon Lodge to your Saves list
45 Hillman Road, P.O. Box 830, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mason, Michigan
“Weekend at Wyndham clagier canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

We stayed for a three day weekend at the wyndham timeshare resort. We are Wyndham owners, and this is one of the nicest resorts we have stayed at. The resort is about 5 buildings, all conected and part of the wilderness resort complex. You get access to 4 indoor waterparks. The good: resort was excellent, rooms were spacious and clean. The bad, the wilderness waterparks were pretty crowded with their hotel guests . LOTS of little kids and families... If that is what you have...it's perfect. We would have like some adult pools area or at least a separate indoor pool in the wyndham area. STILL a great place. NUMEROUS activities, and resturrants in the area. too many to mention. We will go back,

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed in mid September 09. We were very excited to get away. One of the nice things was that it was still 70-80 degrees out and sunny. When we booked the reservation we were told that yes the outdoor waterparks would be open on the weekends if it was nice. Well... when we arrived on Wednesday all the outdoor pools had been drained already for the season. Wilderness has an expansive array of waterparks (3 indoor, 2-3? outdoor). We didn't research the waterparks at the hotels, because everyone knows that the Wilderness has the most square footage of waterparks in the dells - or national for the matter, so we thought it'd be great for us. When we found out that the outdoor waterparks were closed we were very dissapointed, after being misled.

Well.. we moved on. We went to the indoor wave pool waterpark, and then the one adjacent to it (indoor Klondike). Both were nice, but after 2 days they were boring to be honest. We were dissapointed that the Wild West Waterpark wasn't open until Friday. (we checked in Wednesday - checkout on Saturday). This actually seemed to be a nice theme around the resort- things closed. Its one thing if they tell you in advance, or tell you when you make the reservation, that "hey this might be closed if the hotel occupancy is low", but its another to not tell you, or tell you the opposite, only to get their and be disappointed.

Finally, when they did open the Wild West on Friday - it was at 3pm. OK fine, but they closed it at 8pm... wow?? Its closed all week and then they open it for 5 hours on Friday only? And to top that off haha - at 7:45/7:50pm they were blocking off the waterslides and closing them.. jez..

So we went from having about 4-5 potential waterparks on property, most square footage in the US-- to having a waive pool, and 1 indoor park out of a potential 5 on property. Very dissapointed. Again, if they want to do that, (staff shortage, hotel occupancy, etc), fine, I understand it, but don't lie to people, and mislead them when booking their reservations. Otherwise I probably would have looked at say the Kalahari or Chula Vista and to see what amenities and waterparks they had available. (at the end of the trip we did and probably would have stayed elsewhere).

So the waterparks really dissapointed us. Then the buffet in the main lodge was closed the entire stay.. along with a few other things in the main lodge. I guess they were remodeling. Again none of this was told to us.

The zip line was fun. The staff were excellent. Props to this team. They were personable, fun, interactive.

The hotel rooms were great (we had a 2 bedroom). Spacious beautiful room.

Walking - Walking was a bare. Another survey commented that it took 18 minutes to get to one end to another- 18 minutes is alot- and thats if your walking at a good pace. My mother in her 50's is very athletic, but day in and day out exploring things were hard to do for her, and really all of us (I’m in my 20’s). Its a shame that everything is so spread out on property. The days we stayed they had 1 shuttle on the entire property, and we didn't want to have to wait for it so we ended up walking. We certainly got exercise, but I don't think anyone ever imagined it would be this much walking. ... we stayed by the sky-walk back to the main lodge, but if your not near that sky walk in Glacier canyon.. yikes.. .

We ate at Sarentos - food was good / service... hmm.. hard to understand the server as she didnt speak very good english. Others have commented about the lifeguards not doing thier job, and not speaking english, and while their english is poor, a lifegurard isn't their to be your concerige for the resort either.. they are their to watch the kids... and they did that. The rest of the staff at the hotel spoke fine English for the most part.

Cabana rental in the WaterDome waive pool was excellent. TV, wet- bar etc. However.. haha, the sign-in area for it, was closed. So once we finally got to the WaterDome - a long walk in itself, we then were directed to the Main Lodge Front Desk to check-in/sign-in for the cabana. We were supposed to have a private host for it (at least they told us this when we booked), but due to low occupancy they nixed this and we got our things for ourself. It wasn't horrible, it was fine, but at the end of the day they lied to us/misled us about something else again.. dissapointing.

The night club/bar on property (off on the corner of property.. sep building) was nice. However we were told they would have live music on Friday night.. ah yea no they didnt. Otherwise it was spacious, big comfy tables, nice environment.

It just seemed that this whole place, really lacked communication and knowledge. From the original booking with hotel room reservations, - to the front desk. It was dissapointing. We still managed to have a good time, and to get away was great, but we will stay at Kalahai or Chula Vista next time. The staff at those resorts seem to have it together - . Much less we don't have to walk 2 miles to everything (ha). They staff also might want to take 45 seconds and explain the entire resort to guests, instead of just handing them a piece of paper with names and times of areas on it.

If you have a family, small kids etc, - by all means- if you don't mind the walking etc - but beware the place is huge and your probably not going to want to wait 5 years for the shuttle either. It'd be nice to see what the place looks like in summer when everything is open - but the lack of communication im sure will still be there if not worse.

Thanks,

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Stayed at GCL for one night on our way to visit family in Minneapolis. The Dells are about exactly half way between Chicago and the Twin Cities, so it made a logical stopping point for the kids to have a good time. It was a bit pricey as we paid something like $430 for one night including all the taxes and everything, but this was for 7 people. We stayed in a two bedroom deluxe which was perfect for our family. I originally picked GCL over Kalahari though because it was actually cheaper and had better accommodations from what I could tell.

We got their around 1:00 and got all of our water park gear on. The room was not yet ready, but we headed to the waterpark right away. The kids had a blast. The only down side was that around 2:30 they got hungry for a late lunch, and we had not brought groceries with us. I ended up dropping like $70 for a bunch of chicken strips, hot dogs, drinks, and fries. That was a ripoff, but my own fault for not planning ahead better.

When the room was finally ready around 4:00, we went and checked it out. Unfortunately, the room was on the 4th floor, and trying to get an elevator was going to take 1/2 hour at least. So I lugged all our gear up. It was very crowded.

That night, we made a trip to Wal-Mart and got supplies for breakfast and lunch for the next day. That was a much more economical option. Made dinner that night in the very well equipped kitchen. Made breakfast the next morning as well. Had to check out by 11:00, so we got all of our stuff out of the room, but then ended up staying until 4:30 or so before heading to MN.

The kids absolutely loved the room. One bedroom had a twin over full bunk bed. The other had a king size bed for the parents. The comfy murphy bed in the living room was great for the last two kids. Very roomy accommodations. We were not on top of each other at all. The full kitchen was just what we needed. Nice 42" flat screen with DVD player. 3 TVs in all. Nice balcony. Just overall really impressed with the room itself.

Service was fine. Check-in was a tolerable wait. Never had a problem finding anything. The shuttles were very convenient.

The waterparks were all top notch, both indoor and outdoor ones.

We loved it so much we're going back for a two day stay over fall break in October. The total for two nights in late October will be $468, which is just a hair more than we paid for one night in August.

east islip, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

Well I am a big Trip Advisor person and they have never steered me wrong. and they didn't this time Either! Wonderfull Resort, Room was Unbelieveable, go for the 2 bedroom deluxe it is worth every penney and it is not so crowded by the 2 bedroom rooms. I had a very very cozy bed and a great room, no holes in anything. My husband Loved the 2 bathrooms, since we have 3 girls 9, 7 & 5. Water park unbelieveable, Horseback riding across the street, Indoor Playground 4 stories, kids loved everything. We stayed there 6 days and it wasn't long enough to do everything the resort and the Dells Offered. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT WITH THE WALKING! THEY MUST NOT EVER WALK. I ACTUALLY TIMMED IT, WE WERE AT THE END OF THE RESORT AND WE WALKED TO WILD WEST WHICH IS AT THE OTHER END. WE WERE NOT RUSHING AND IT TOOK US 18 MINUTES. Staff was very friendly and waterparks were all awsome, don't miss Mr. Pancake, & I don't even like Pancakes. Monks was good and in the parking lot of the resort. Tommy Bartlett Show & Exploratory Great, Moose Jaw Good Food and Suprisingly Good Home Brewed Beer. Buffalo Phils and Knukleheads fun too! Don't Miss Wizard Quest In Town. Original Ducks was fun too and we never got to the Drive In Or The casino, will have to wait to next year! Loads Of Fun Can't wait to go back! We love Wisconsin and the Dells, put me over the Top .... Go Bucky!!! Mo From Long Island

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My family (Wife and two children aged 2 and 5) were guests at the Wilderness Resort over the 2009 Labor Day holiday weekend. I am 45 years old and have traveled extensively throughout the United States and internationally for business and pleasure throughout my career and personal life. I have experienced incredible service at resorts and I have seen just the opposite, however, I have never experienced service this bad in all my years of traveling. My family and I were treated rudely and without any notion of customer service or respect on numerous occasions. It was unbelievable!

Anyone with business experience can see what is happening behind the scenes. The resort has a broken business model. It is extremely large with too much debt service and maintenance expense. The three owners are attempting to operate a dozen or so large water parks, a resort the size of what you would see at Disneyworld, multiple restaurants, etc. Unfortunately, all of this overhead is too much to maintain. Adding rooms and amenities reached the point of diminishing marginal returns long ago. The resort has fallen well beneath the “good enough” line with no end in sight. In situations like this, the customers loose every time with poor customer service. I’ve seen this mistake many times across different verticals. When money gets tight, management takes their eyes off the customer service ball. While this strategy may save money in the short term, it will hurt them over time. Watch for this resort to decline quickly unless the three owners either sell to a more experienced and more capitalized group or begin to understand the importance of customer service. The latter will be a big challenge. The well-rooted culture of the employees is one of hate. Yes, that’s a strong word, but based on what my family experienced, I think it’s warranted. It appeared that every employee had extreme negative feelings about the guests. It was obvious that they hated their jobs and the people staying at the resort. Their expressions were empty. Their knowledge was lacking. They couldn’t care less about our experience or the experience of any other guest. They couldn’t wait to get home. Even the management I spoke to had an obvious animosity toward the guests. I saw several negative interactions with other frustrated guests throughout the weekend. All of this, by the way, should be of concern to the many families who own some of the units that are rented to guests. The resort’s poor level of customer service is quickly eroding the value of their investment and the likelihood of long-term revenue.

After leaving the resort, I did some research on the business and its owners. I quickly discovered that what my family and I experienced was commonplace (as expected). We were not alone – not by a long shot. After reading and browsing hundreds of reviews across a few different sites, I began to realize that this resort has a very serious customer service problem on its hands. I hope they can turn things around, but I truly don’t think the owners care or understand what to do next. They may not even realize they have a problem. What a shame. With the RIGHT management, this could be a great place to vacation. As for now, take my advice and the advice of so many others on this site and other review sites – go elsewhere or skip the Dells altogether. This resort stole our vacation with extremely poor customer service. Don’t make the same mistake we did.

stevescowgirl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We just came back from 2 days there and will NOT go there again! We got in a room as far away from everything as you can imagine... it was small, not the room I was told we were getting. You could smell other peoples cooking, wake up in the morning and it smelled like a chinese restaurant. People were rude and parking was a pain. @ $350 a night we could have done better elsewhere! You also only get limited housekeeping so bring your cleaning supplies!

Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Stayed one night with group of 4 adults and 6 kids. To begin, the water park and hotel were overcrowded. We weren’t even able to find a seat at one park, and didn’t dare leave the hotel for fear that there wouldn’t be another parking spot. Waits for the water slides were long. Older kids were bored by most of the water slides/activity, while the one slide they were excited about had very long wait times. Not enough water tubes for everyone. The hotel room was small with holes in the sheet, ripped carpeting, and old TV. The walls and ceilings between the rooms are very thin, so avoid getting a room on the lower level. Some pluses include being able to check in at noon and the shuttle drivers were friendly and frequently available. If you can get this for a great price, then stay, but otherwise not worth over $150 per night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Glacier Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!