“Very nice rooms, facilities and waterparks, bland/lame food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Glacier Canyon Lodge

Save Saved
You added Glacier Canyon Lodge to your Saves list
Glacier Canyon Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Hillman Road, P.O. Box 830, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #16 of 78 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago Suburbs, IL
“Very nice rooms, facilities and waterparks, bland/lame food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

My family (wife, 2 year old daughter, 2 month old son) and my brother-in-law, stayed in a 2 bedroom condo unit and this was our first trip to a waterpark resort in the Dells. Our room, after taxes was around $415/night for a Friday and Saturday night stay.

I want to say this about the size of the resort. People complain over and over and over about how big and spread out the resort is. Here is my take: yes, it is a very big spread out resort, BUT, if you have ever put in serious time at a Disney theme park, IT IS NO BIG DEAL. I could see, if you were at the very far right end of Glacier Canyon Lodge and you had to walk to the Wild West Waterpark, that might take 10-15 minutes, but whoopdie doo, my toddler never had a problem and my infant son was in a stroller. We walked around with no problem at all. The plus side of this is you have so many different waterparks to try out. Have fun!!

Pros
-Free wireless internet.
-Rooms very nice, clean and well docorated.
-Kitchen was stocked with pots, pans, silverware.
-Tons of different indoor and outdoor waterparks and pools.
-Lots of very nice toddler/splash pools.
-Lots of hot water jacuzzi pools.
-Yes, resort is very spread out, but it was easy enough to get around.
-Lots of indoor and outdoor waterpark options which are great for changing weather conditions.
-Pools nicely heated indoor and out.
-Resort easy to find and easy to park in.
-Second bedroom had nice bunk bed (twin on top, full size on bottom).
-DVD player
-Faux fireplace with realistic flames.
-Nice themed furniture.
-Superwal-mart just up the street
-Pull down Queen sized murphy bed in living area.
-Second half bathroom.
-MooseJaw restaurant up the street is excellent.

Cons
-Food in resort needs a lot of help.
-Fast food places were horrible.
-Monks restaurant nearby was nothing special.
-Buffet in Wilderness Cafe was lame, and not worth it.
-Whereever there were elevators, there was just ONE!!!
-Convenience store in GCL is not in middle of resort, at the far end.
-Lobby far away from most rooms.
-TV system screwey.
-Nobody checking at waterparks if you are a resort guest or not. There is nothing stopping anyone staying at a much cheaper resort from just driving right on property and enjoying any of the waterparks. The first day we were there we forgot to put on our wristbands and nobody said a thing to us.

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
des plaines il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

Everything about this place is above average.We travel alot and the service here is excellent.front desk is very helpfull,we needed extra soap and a drink pitcher and they arrived in 10 minutes after calling.Rooms were all clean and ready AT TIME OF CHECK IN.only a fool would try to check in early!!! People at the water parks were friendly and the staff were all polite and the rooms are very quiet .

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

It was our first family trip to the Dells with daughters 9 and 5, and we stayed with mother/father-in-law in a 2 bedroom deluxe in Glacier Canyon Lodge for 3 nights starting July 19th.

We were able to check in early, but didn't get a pool view. That's ok, because the view to the parking lot/woods was nice too. The room was quiet, clean, nice, and well appointed. The beds were comfortable including the nice queen size murphy bed in the tv area. We did have or towel bar fall off, and our bedroom tv remotes did not work. We didn't need them much and didn't take the time to call them in. The waterpark outside Glacier and the go karts were awesome. We could have spent a lot of time out there if the weather had cooperated better. The kiddie carts were out of commission so we had to visit a go kart place on the strip for our 5 year old to drive.

Overall, we really liked this place. It seemed MUCH nicer, cleaner, newer, and more relaxing than the Wilderness where we went for the pottery painting and waterparks.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and the Dells in general.

Midwest US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I recently tripped to the Dells with my family to enjoy the waterparks. Prior to booking a place to stay at, I read about every review I could on Trip Advisor. I narrowed it down to a few spots and ultimately settled on the Glacier Canyon Lodge because the price for what you got was tough to beat.

Room: We stayed in the 2-bedroom condo with full kitchen. I was very impressed with the quality of the room. Great, full-sized kitchen stocked with plates, glasses and utensils as well as some pots/pans for cooking. We did stop at a Wal-Mart in a nearby town to pick up some groceries for making meals on our own to cut down on the restaurant costs. The room featured a bathroom off the main room as well as a larger bathroom that was shared between the two bedrooms. Everything was very clean. The main room had a nice sized dining table, 2 sitting chairs and a couch for viewing the nice flat panel tv above the fireplace. There was also a pull-down bed in the wall if you needed the extra sleeping space.

The Waterparks: Prior to staying at the lodge I was a little confused on all this place had to offer as it's tough to get a feel just from looking online. The first night we checked in we walked the entire complex to get a feel for where everything was and what exactly was offered. Get ready to do some walking as the water areas are spread out amongst the different lodging areas. It's not that big of a deal, but just know ahead of time that you'll be doing some walking. The water parks were all pretty cool. My two boys (6 & 7) had a blast everywhere we went as there was something for all age groups in all the water areas. I've read some comments about the lifeguards and their lack of enthusiasm. I had no issues with the lifeguards. Most of them appeared to be in their early 20's and are likely college students taking a summer job. These kids aren't making $20 and hour so it is what it is. There were lifeguards everywhere and from what I could tell, they were always paying attention. The ones I did talk to were pleasant. Same goes for employees we encountered throughout our stay. They were all nice and seemed willing to help out.

Food: Hey, you can't have a vacation without food! Like I said, I knew going in that eating every meal at a restaurant would be pricey, so we grabbed some groceries ahead of time and ate quite a few times in our room. There are some fast food areas by all the waterparks and the food was pretty decent. There are also a few sit down food spots in the resort as well. We did eat at the buffet one night where kids eat free and that was OK.

There are also other things to do besides the water parks such as arcades, mini-golf, go karts and a hugh climbing area for the kids. We invested in a pass that gives discounts to some items as well as a number of free rounds of mini-golf, laser tag and bumper boats. I never figured out the costs for all that, but I'm sure we saved quite a bit by purchasing the passes.

One last thing, I did have free wireless internet access at the resort which was another great perk.

Overall, my family had an awesome experience at this resort and I would defintely stay here again.

blue island, il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I am a frequent customer of this resort and was very dispointed with my recent stay! MY familyand i went for my daughter's 16th birthday and received the worst customer service. WE arrived early on 7/21/2009 and was told that our was not ready which we understood because we were early. My husband decided to just check back at 3:00 to see if the room was ready and was told it was and was given the keys. We went up to the room and opened the door and the room was dirty and filthy with not even the beds made! I saw the housekeeper in the hall and showed her and she told me that i had to call the front desk. I called the front desk from the room and ask for the manager the lady told me she was the manager and i told her what happened. She was rude and began to questions me about the person who gave me the keys and what reservation area that i got them from because check in is not until 4;00. I told her that dont know staff members and I wanted a new room or that my room be cleaned immediately! She made me feel like it was my fault! WE left and the room was cleaned but it put a damper on my daughters special birthday. MY family visit the dells yearly and this is one of the places that we frequent and the cost is not cheap 350 per night. I AM RECONSIDERING MY STAYS AT GLACIER CANYON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009
wis dells
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

well i love this place, it's so awesome with all 7 water parks and the thrill rides "hurricane" and "black hole"! it was very nice the room was modren, enough space and VERY clean! But to all you moms out there don't bring your 11 years old friend for 1 year with her, there were fighting and compling and just mad durning the whole trip! i got so mad see my daughters no ex-bff was bossying her around and if my daughter did somting wrong Emilia K-B always yeld and screamed at her. so anyway please let your child pick a friend thats easy going and trustwothy, any way back to the hotel i loved all the things we could do go to the arcade which we won 1,000 tickets on big bass bonus,go do laser tag, mini golf, bumpper boats, and go to all the fun water parks! I really think that the wilderness and glacier canyon lodge are just AMAZING in gernal so many people go thre all stressed and people leave with a huge smile on thre face, i was one of many smileing so anyway this hotel is like the best place on earth, the kids love it, the parnets can relax, and they have the BEST food around! don't froget about a great staff, freindly people everywere you turn and just the fun of everything..... i would give this hotel 5 stars because of it being afforable and just modren, relaxing , nice and fun! also great parking, very easy to find a great spot!

Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Although I paid $2000. for four nights in a three bedroom deluxe suite, I was told I needed to pay $75. if I wanted to have the sheets changed. There was no housekeeping other than a towel change--not the dish towels and no soap unless you chased them down the hallway. The bathroom smelled like urine and although I was promised some disinfectant to scrub it myself, I never received it. When we checked in--not until 4 PM, we were told that if we dial zero from any phone, we would have immediate shuttle service. This was a big deal because the property is huge-- a mile to walk to get to lobby. The shuttle service was NOT immediate. Waits were extensive, even though the hotel was only half full. Different shuttles would stop but not take you where you wanted to go--this was confusing. The water parks were nice but the staff didn't speak English so we had a hard time getting information which we needed since the property is a hodge podge of different recreation areas. Even in the restaurants the staff could not explain why things were on the menu that weren't available.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Glacier Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!