“Well i didn't like the girls fighting but we had fun!” 5 of 5 stars

45 Hillman Road, P.O. Box 830, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
wis dells
“Well i didn't like the girls fighting but we had fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

well i love this place, it's so awesome with all 7 water parks and the thrill rides "hurricane" and "black hole"! it was very nice the room was modren, enough space and VERY clean! But to all you moms out there don't bring your 11 years old friend for 1 year with her, there were fighting and compling and just mad durning the whole trip! i got so mad see my daughters no ex-bff was bossying her around and if my daughter did somting wrong Emilia K-B always yeld and screamed at her. so anyway please let your child pick a friend thats easy going and trustwothy, any way back to the hotel i loved all the things we could do go to the arcade which we won 1,000 tickets on big bass bonus,go do laser tag, mini golf, bumpper boats, and go to all the fun water parks! I really think that the wilderness and glacier canyon lodge are just AMAZING in gernal so many people go thre all stressed and people leave with a huge smile on thre face, i was one of many smileing so anyway this hotel is like the best place on earth, the kids love it, the parnets can relax, and they have the BEST food around! don't froget about a great staff, freindly people everywere you turn and just the fun of everything..... i would give this hotel 5 stars because of it being afforable and just modren, relaxing , nice and fun! also great parking, very easy to find a great spot!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Although I paid $2000. for four nights in a three bedroom deluxe suite, I was told I needed to pay $75. if I wanted to have the sheets changed. There was no housekeeping other than a towel change--not the dish towels and no soap unless you chased them down the hallway. The bathroom smelled like urine and although I was promised some disinfectant to scrub it myself, I never received it. When we checked in--not until 4 PM, we were told that if we dial zero from any phone, we would have immediate shuttle service. This was a big deal because the property is huge-- a mile to walk to get to lobby. The shuttle service was NOT immediate. Waits were extensive, even though the hotel was only half full. Different shuttles would stop but not take you where you wanted to go--this was confusing. The water parks were nice but the staff didn't speak English so we had a hard time getting information which we needed since the property is a hodge podge of different recreation areas. Even in the restaurants the staff could not explain why things were on the menu that weren't available.

Mayville, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Glacier Canyon at the Wilderness is our FAVORITE place to stay in the Dells!! The rooms at Glacier Canyon are absolutely beautiful! The waterparks are awesome and we always have a great time. The prices are reasonable compared to the other "big name" resorts in the Dells, and honestly there is SO much more to do there then the others. We stay here at least once a year! There is just so much to do you barely have to even leave the grounds, and with shuttle transportation you dont have to walk far either! My only complaint is the restaurants within the Wilderness Hotel & Glacier Canyon are quite pricey for the quality of food you get. I dont suggest anyone eat at any of their restaurants unless you want to pay a lot. Monks is located next door to Glacier Canyon and they offer shuttle service, very good food for a ok price! Overall I would say this is by far the best resort in the Dells.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Warning: you must love kids and waterparks to enjoy this resort. We do, and we did. We stayed in a 2BR deluxe overlooking the outdoor waterpark for 3 nights.

Pros:
- Very clean, everything was like new--both the waterparks and the rooms.
- Didn't hear a sound from other rooms or people in hallways from our suite--well insulated.
- Even when crowded, the lines in the waterparks were manageable.
- As part of Wilderness Resort, you have access to 3 indoor waterparks, 3 outdoor waterparks, and an indoor/outdoor pool area at a condo section across the lake. We managed to sample all but 1 indoor park. The variety of waterparks was an advantage over similar resorts like Great Wolf Lodge--which we also love, but...it only has 1 waterpark. This has 7.

Cons:
- The lifeguards and other staff were foreign and did not speak good English. Mildly annoying but no big deal.
- The zipline was still under construction; we were looking forward to that.
- A few water slides were closed; seemed to be related to traffic volume.
- I wish the waterparks had longer hours. Most opened at 9 or 10am and closed by 7 or 8pm.

FYI:
- We purposely avoided the timeshare sales pitch offers. No need to waste 30 minutes of a perfectly good vacation.
- We ate meals off-site, in downtown Wisconsin Dells. Plenty of options, and fun to get out.
- Yes, there was a lot of walking between waterparks, but it's a BIG place, so just anticipate it.
- Some reviews noted the constant presence of laughing, screaming, crying kids. All I can say is, "Duh."

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

this hotel is part of the wilderness resorts and waterparks. guest exclusive use of waterparks. no complaints in that regard. rooms were also nice and clean. all have balconies, microwaves and mini-fridge.

we stayed during the 4th of july weekend and granting the hotel was booked, the management should've planned the shuttle service and restaurant service better. you have to take the shuttle everywhere or else it is a long walk to the waterparks. it took almost 30 minutes to get a shuttle, (2 phone calls to the front desk) and the drivers were refusing to accommodate some passengers if it was out of their way. (and somewhat crabby too, early in the day)

restaurants were okay. i'm just surprised that the glacier canyon cafe was closed at 2pm for lunch during a holiday weekend. we had to settle for the tex-mex restaurant at the new frontier resort, which was ok too. nothing spectacular.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Our family trip had 12 of us. 6 adults with kids 13 months to 16 years of age. We had reservations for a 3 bedroom Premium room since Feb and when I called the day before our trip June 25th they told us we had a reservation for a 3 bedroom Deluxe which is NOT what we reserved. When I faxed over my confirmation for the 3 bedroom Premium room the manager told me 'SORRY THERE MUST OF BEEN A GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM WHEN YOU RESERVED ON LINE'. Best he could do was have us keep the 3 bedroom deluxe room and include a Queen Premier right next door so we would be adjoined. We got there and the rooms were not together. Close by but not together so I feel my vacation with my family was not the same since we had to stay separate from them. I did not feel like arguing with the staff again so I let it go and figured I would just never stay at this resort again. Rooms were nice but I think the rooms at Chula Vista are more spacious and comfortable. Grounds were nice and the pools were great especially when you have a little one. The walks were long so bring the strollers for the little ones that can not take long walks but we like to walk so did not really matter to us. If you are coming with just teens they might not really think the slides are all that. TOur 8 and 10 year old newphews that came did not think they were exciting enough. The 16 year old did not really care for them at all. Our room had a nice view of the water park and all the pools played good music. Also the drinks we had by the pools were delicious.
Again if it was not for the reservation screw up we would probably of stayed there again.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Seekonk, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. There was tons of kids around due to a dance competition in town that week. They were screaming and running down the halls from 8am to at least 10pm. I was lucky to have a room on the 5th floor, so it was pretty quiet late at night. There was lots of walking to each of the waterparks. Each park had only a few slides in each park. Some weren't even open. The lines for most of the slides weren't bad. The only ones that had a long wait were the popular rides and most of the raft rides. Most of the staff and lifeguards only spoke limited English. When we checked in the staff member said the only way you could get to the outdoor waterpark in Glacier Canyon was in area 1 and 5. We found out later there is a gate in each entrance area. Also there was a fact finder scavenger hunt for families in the Wilderness area. I tried to get a copy of it, but they didn't have anymore. Also the lazy river in the Glacier Canyon area always seemed to run out of tubes towards the middle of the day. You usually ended up hanging around until someone decided to leave. Also LONG walk to reach each waterpark, especially if you walk indoors. Room itself was nice and big. We stayed in the 2 bedroom premier. The murphy bed was extremely soft. Location was good if you were planning on just staying there and not going anywhere else. I liked best was the room. DIsliked the kids running and screaming so late at night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Glacier Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!