“Expensive, but fun time” 4 of 5 stars

Glacier Canyon Lodge
45 Hillman Road, P.O. Box 830, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Expensive, but fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This is our third time staying here, this time we had 8 people- 4 adults and 4 kids. We stayed in a 2 room deluxe with a large kitchen and dining area between the 2 rooms on the first floor overlooking the outdoor water park. There was plenty to do for all ages as we visited all the indoor and outside parks in the wilderness resort during our stay. The zipline,go karts,laser tag should be free to resort guests for the money you pay for the rooms. I have 2 suggestions for improvement by the hotel , they are- 1. Need more staff at front desk during check in,waited 45 minutes to check in-also need a service desk for guests who need new wrist bands or have other issues. 2. During my 4 day stay I saw 2 times where little kids almost got hit by cars speeding through parking lot (need more security in parking lots) saw young adults drinking and passed out in cars, I had trash thrown under my car, seemed like a lot of partying and mischief going on in parking lots. Families and kids don't need to see this. Other than the parking lot issues and understaffed front desk we had a great time and will visit here again.

• Stayed July 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
St. Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Our family of four stayed here on a Thursday night in July just for a quick getaway. We arrived around noon Thursday with an easy check-in. Our room was not ready, so we headed to the Lost World water park. We were able to find a table pretty easily. We enjoyed the "adventure" lazy river. My children, ages 11 and 8, had fun on the mat slides and pools. I enjoyed the big slides.

We ordered pizza right to our poolside table from the Klondike Pizza place. There is a $5 coupon in your check-in packet for you to use. At least it covers a tip for the delivery person. The pizza was decent. Even though we received a text that our room was ready about 3:30, we stayed in the water park until about 530. The park was pretty full by then.

Since we were only staying one night, we didn't leave for dinner. Rather we ate at Survivors bar. It was what you expect from a Dells resort bar: burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese. Nothing to write home about but something to recharge.

After dinner we headed to the Water Dome. We had a lot of fun in the wave pool and on the family tube rides. We've stayed at Kalahari several times and I don't think we've ever been on a ride where all 4 of us rode in the same tube. We rode the Mammoth and the Hurricane. My two girls really got a kick out of them. We had fun in the Water Dome until close at 10PM. Since the walkways back to the Glacier Canyon ran through a closed park (Klondike Cavern) we had to take a bus back to our entry at Glacier Canyon lodge. I suppose after a few days you could get the hang of the bus system or just be prepared to walk to the different parks. There are quite a few.

Our room was just a two bedroom queen overlooking the park. It was fine for sleeping. The beds were comfy, the pillows were nice and the temperature was fine. It was clean. The fridge and coffee pot both worked fine.

The next day, it was cold and stormy. Thankfully there are a bunch of indoor water parks. We went to the Water Dome and Klondike Canyon. We had fun again on the tube rides and slides. The benefit of this property is the variety of parks to visit. Whereas the Kalahari has the big indoor and outdoor, Glacier Canyon is connected to all of the Wilderness parks. There were a lot of activities too, but since we were only there for a night we only focused on the water parks.

The four of us had a fun time, and I could see us returning with a larger group and renting one of the condos with a kitchen. Our children had a blast and liked the variety of parks they could visit. The variety of activities available make it easy to stay on the property.

Room Tip: We had an even number room and it looked out over the Lost World water park.
Moville, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Planned on surprising the kids by coming here as a detour on our way to Milwaukee. We paid Disney price for a suite so everyone could have their own beds (4 kids and my wife and I). Found that this place was on the bedbug registry. We should have left. Park staffers were not that friendly, place needs some up keep, and very expensive for extras. Like I stated, I know this isn't Disney, BUT it costs the same and should have a better product. Not saying stay away, but stay in the lesser rooms as the high end ones are not worth it.

Stayed July 2014
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children age 10, 12 & 12, visited Glacier Canyon @ Wilderness Resort over the 4th of July holiday. The resort was sold out for the weekend. Because it was so full, parking was overly full with people parking in spots that were not designated parking spaces. We were fortunate to come at a time when there was still a couple spaces near our section of the resort, so we parked and left the car there until checkout time.

This place is HUGE! We decided to walk everywhere, however there is a very good shuttle bus system they have that will take you from one section of the resort to another. Our room was near a pickup location, and the shuttle seemed to stop pretty frequently.

For our family we had a '3 bedroom' condo. It was very spacious with 2 1/2 baths. I was expecting it to be all one big condo/room, but it was actually one 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen (with plates, glassware, utensil etc), with adjoining doors to standard room (that room was like a standard hotel room with microwave and mini fridge). This worked fine, but with my two girls in the adjoining room I had propped the doors open so they wouldn't somehow lock us parents out of their room.

As a guest, we were given waterpark wristbands that allowed us to use any and all of the indoor and outdoor waterparks. They do not allow outside visitors to use the waterparks, only guests of the resort.
We planned to 'waterpark jump' one day, and go from one to the next for most of the day. Even though it was so full, the lines weren't unreasonably long to go on the slides. However, I like to have a place to sit and have a central point for my kids to be able to easily find me in between going on the slides. Earlier in the day it was easy to get a chair at the outdoor parks, by afternoon it was impossible to find a chair outdoors. But because it was so nice outside, there were fewer people at the indoor waterparks, so they had quite a few chairs and tables to choose from.

The waterparks all seemed to be very clean, with attendants constantly walking around cleaning things up. There were a lot of lifeguards on duty for every water activity.
Even though the resort was at capacity, we did not have any problems finding tubes for the lazy rivers or any of the tube slide.

We ordered room service pizza one night. It was average tasting, and delivery was, as promised, between 30 to 40 minutes. It was handy to deliver right from the same property, but for taste I would probably order delivery from one of the local pizza restaurants next time.

There are many 'additional fee' activities to do at the resort as well. Our family did 2 of the indoor mini-golf courses, as well as bumper boats, lazer tag, and lazer maze. We were able to find a 'buy 3 get 1 free' activities package on Glacier Canyons website before arriving. So, check out their website for any discounts on the additional activities available at the Wilderness resort.

On July 4th, they put on a great fireworks show, and from our viewing point we could see 4 other local fireworks displays being shot off.

I would return with my family to the resort, but may try to stay in one of the more centrally located rooms. Our Glacier Canyon room was room 4001, it was the very furthest room on the very end of the resort.

Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

7 of us stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe at the Glacier Canyon Lodge...4 adults ages 39,65,& 64 and three children ages 7,12,& 13 for 4 nights to celebrate me turning 40. What a way to bring in 40. This place exceeded my expectations. Everything was wonderful! The entire resort was clean and well cared for. We bought the fun pass and ate at Monks Restaurant..awesome! I don't have a negative word to say about this place. Although it's pricey, you get your money worth!

• Stayed July 2014
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I LOVE this place!! It was our second time staying here and it was just as great as our 1st visit.

We arrived at 10:30am to check-in and get our wristbands to use the waterpark. Although you will not be told your assigned room, you will be given your room keys and instructed which building to park in front of. They will text you your room number when the room is available. Room was available around 3:00 and we quickly discovered the plug was broken on the refrigerator. We called the front desk and had a new fridge in our room within 10 minutes. Rooms are larger than average hotel rooms and we love having a balcony with a screen door.
WATERPARKS-
We visited all of the waterparks, but the majority of our time was spent at the outdoor waterpark at Glacier Canyon, the Lost World Waterpark. It has a great lazy river, a looping body slide, mat racer slides and plenty of hot tubs. We had no problems finding chairs and all chairs throughout the resort have cushions making them super comfy to lay out on!
Wave pool was packed as always but still a good time. Favorite indoor waterpark was the Wild West with the Black Hole Slide. Water temps throughout the Wilderness Resort were the warmest of all waterparks in the Dells we visited.
We figured out the shuttle this trip and used it often. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a shuttle and it dropped us off right in front of our building.
Glacier Canyon Lodge is the best place to stay in the Dells, followed by Kalahari.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Building 3. Walk out the back door to the entrance to the Lost World Waterpark and out f...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have been to the Dells several times over the years with my family. The last eight years or so, we have stayed at either Glacier Canyon or the Wilderness. I think we've stayed in all types of rooms at the Glacier Canyon, from a regular double queen room to one of the suites. We have travelled with several children, and each year we have had a fun trip staying at this hotel. It's easily one of the best hotels in the Dells, and you really don't have to leave the resort. There are things for people of all ages to do, and everyone has come back from the Dells having had a good time.

If you do stay in the main hallway for traveling to the water park it can be a little loud. However, by 10 or 11pm, it's pretty quiet. I would also be prepared to walk quite a bit, especially if you are staying in the winter time. The water parks are spaced pretty decently apart, and Glacier Canyon is a bit of a walk from the indoor parks.

Room Tip: I believe the main hallway is on the second or third floor, so I would try to avoid that area of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Glacier Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!