“Would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children age 10, 12 & 12, visited Glacier Canyon @ Wilderness Resort over the 4th of July holiday. The resort was sold out for the weekend. Because it was so full, parking was overly full with people parking in spots that were not designated parking spaces. We were fortunate to come at a time when there was still a couple spaces near our section of the resort, so we parked and left the car there until checkout time.

This place is HUGE! We decided to walk everywhere, however there is a very good shuttle bus system they have that will take you from one section of the resort to another. Our room was near a pickup location, and the shuttle seemed to stop pretty frequently.

For our family we had a '3 bedroom' condo. It was very spacious with 2 1/2 baths. I was expecting it to be all one big condo/room, but it was actually one 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen (with plates, glassware, utensil etc), with adjoining doors to standard room (that room was like a standard hotel room with microwave and mini fridge). This worked fine, but with my two girls in the adjoining room I had propped the doors open so they wouldn't somehow lock us parents out of their room.

As a guest, we were given waterpark wristbands that allowed us to use any and all of the indoor and outdoor waterparks. They do not allow outside visitors to use the waterparks, only guests of the resort.
We planned to 'waterpark jump' one day, and go from one to the next for most of the day. Even though it was so full, the lines weren't unreasonably long to go on the slides. However, I like to have a place to sit and have a central point for my kids to be able to easily find me in between going on the slides. Earlier in the day it was easy to get a chair at the outdoor parks, by afternoon it was impossible to find a chair outdoors. But because it was so nice outside, there were fewer people at the indoor waterparks, so they had quite a few chairs and tables to choose from.

The waterparks all seemed to be very clean, with attendants constantly walking around cleaning things up. There were a lot of lifeguards on duty for every water activity.
Even though the resort was at capacity, we did not have any problems finding tubes for the lazy rivers or any of the tube slide.

We ordered room service pizza one night. It was average tasting, and delivery was, as promised, between 30 to 40 minutes. It was handy to deliver right from the same property, but for taste I would probably order delivery from one of the local pizza restaurants next time.

There are many 'additional fee' activities to do at the resort as well. Our family did 2 of the indoor mini-golf courses, as well as bumper boats, lazer tag, and lazer maze. We were able to find a 'buy 3 get 1 free' activities package on Glacier Canyons website before arriving. So, check out their website for any discounts on the additional activities available at the Wilderness resort.

On July 4th, they put on a great fireworks show, and from our viewing point we could see 4 other local fireworks displays being shot off.

I would return with my family to the resort, but may try to stay in one of the more centrally located rooms. Our Glacier Canyon room was room 4001, it was the very furthest room on the very end of the resort.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

7 of us stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe at the Glacier Canyon Lodge...4 adults ages 39,65,& 64 and three children ages 7,12,& 13 for 4 nights to celebrate me turning 40. What a way to bring in 40. This place exceeded my expectations. Everything was wonderful! The entire resort was clean and well cared for. We bought the fun pass and ate at Monks Restaurant..awesome! I don't have a negative word to say about this place. Although it's pricey, you get your money worth!

• Stayed July 2014
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I LOVE this place!! It was our second time staying here and it was just as great as our 1st visit.

We arrived at 10:30am to check-in and get our wristbands to use the waterpark. Although you will not be told your assigned room, you will be given your room keys and instructed which building to park in front of. They will text you your room number when the room is available. Room was available around 3:00 and we quickly discovered the plug was broken on the refrigerator. We called the front desk and had a new fridge in our room within 10 minutes. Rooms are larger than average hotel rooms and we love having a balcony with a screen door.
WATERPARKS-
We visited all of the waterparks, but the majority of our time was spent at the outdoor waterpark at Glacier Canyon, the Lost World Waterpark. It has a great lazy river, a looping body slide, mat racer slides and plenty of hot tubs. We had no problems finding chairs and all chairs throughout the resort have cushions making them super comfy to lay out on!
Wave pool was packed as always but still a good time. Favorite indoor waterpark was the Wild West with the Black Hole Slide. Water temps throughout the Wilderness Resort were the warmest of all waterparks in the Dells we visited.
We figured out the shuttle this trip and used it often. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a shuttle and it dropped us off right in front of our building.
Glacier Canyon Lodge is the best place to stay in the Dells, followed by Kalahari.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Building 3. Walk out the back door to the entrance to the Lost World Waterpark and out f...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have been to the Dells several times over the years with my family. The last eight years or so, we have stayed at either Glacier Canyon or the Wilderness. I think we've stayed in all types of rooms at the Glacier Canyon, from a regular double queen room to one of the suites. We have travelled with several children, and each year we have had a fun trip staying at this hotel. It's easily one of the best hotels in the Dells, and you really don't have to leave the resort. There are things for people of all ages to do, and everyone has come back from the Dells having had a good time.

If you do stay in the main hallway for traveling to the water park it can be a little loud. However, by 10 or 11pm, it's pretty quiet. I would also be prepared to walk quite a bit, especially if you are staying in the winter time. The water parks are spaced pretty decently apart, and Glacier Canyon is a bit of a walk from the indoor parks.

Room Tip: I believe the main hallway is on the second or third floor, so I would try to avoid that area of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bettendorf, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We had a two bedroom condo for our family of 5. We pre-cooked all of our meals at home and put the kitchen to excellent use. We ate all 3 meals a day in our condo, REALLY cutting down of food expense. Well equipped kitchen with plenty of glasswear, plates, pans, etc. The beds were comfortable. Kids loved the bunk bed. We did not use the trundle. We adults enjoyed the patio each night for wine after the kids went to bed. The furnishing we keeping with the north woods theme and in great condition. There have been negative comments regarding customer service and I wanted to comment. We noticed a broken hinge on one of the kitchen cabinets our second night. They were there in 10 minutes and replaced the hinge without question or accusation that maybe we had caused the damage. We thought the water park at glacier was the best also. We will be back!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
DePue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Took our daughter's family to this wilderness waterpark resort including 3 year old grandson. Lots of indoor and outdoor areas for toddlers. Had a 2 bedroom suite with 1 1/2 baths which was very convenient. A little over priced but lots to do.

Room Tip: Three resorts are aargh of wilderness. Choose the one that suits your needs because you have access...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My background is in hospitality; specifically HR and I currently work in customer service. Upon arrival to the hotel (which we did stay through Wyndham) the check in was great but then it went down hill. We got to our room and there were still dirty linens in the room and crumbs on the countertop. Not a big deal but the fact that things just kept happening was why I am writing this review. We asked multiple life guards, employees, etc. how you got to the different parks within the resort and no one had a clue. We called down to the desk to see if our 4 year old could ride go karts with me; I got transferred 4 different times and still no one had any idea - not even the people that were out working at the go kart facility; finally I was able to get an answer.

Went to go to dinner one night and there was a long wait so we called the hotel and asked for a recommendation - girl was clueless, finally she recommended one of the restraurants on site and I specifically asked...Is this a restaurant that includes the kids under 8 eat free and I was told Yes TWICE! So we made the decision to drive back to the resort, walk quite a long ways, sit down to order and I asked again and this time was told no kids are not free. I asked to speak with a manager; who I will give credit to, she was kind and did credit our kids meals per the MOD BUT that was after I called the main desk and talked to them, they told me to call the Wyndham main desk who then told me to call back to the hotel main desk who then said I need to speak to the Wilderness MOD who of course was not available so then I asked for the restaurant manager. The restaurant manager told me she would contact the MOD and have her come down....well there was a medical emergency that she was dealing with so that was totally understandable but we were told she would call us....never happened.

Then the next day we were at one of the indoor water parks and there is a kiddie slide that our 2 year old daughter was going down that specifically had a sign that said "NO KIDS OVER 42 INCHES TALL"; next thing we know there are 8 and 10 year olds going down this slide bulldozing over kids so I asked the life guard could he please enforce the rule and he said this "What do you want me to do it is a kids slide?" I said "I want you to enforce the rule that is posted and tell them that they are too big for the slide (the slide was shorter than the length of these kids bodies)" and he then told me "I am not going to do that" so I asked another life guard and of course he directed me back to the same guy and at that point the original guy said he doesn't even know how tall 42 inches is, I am from another country we go by centimeters." Are you freaking kidding me? So I showed him about how tall 42" is and he still did nothing and basically laughed it off as all of these little kids were getting ran over.

This place was a joke; they need to train their employees on how to treat guests. They also maybe should consider giving a basic math lesson or converting their signs to include various units of measure.