“Glacier Canyon” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Glacier Canyon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have been to the Dells several times over the years with my family. The last eight years or so, we have stayed at either Glacier Canyon or the Wilderness. I think we've stayed in all types of rooms at the Glacier Canyon, from a regular double queen room to one of the suites. We have travelled with several children, and each year we have had a fun trip staying at this hotel. It's easily one of the best hotels in the Dells, and you really don't have to leave the resort. There are things for people of all ages to do, and everyone has come back from the Dells having had a good time.

If you do stay in the main hallway for traveling to the water park it can be a little loud. However, by 10 or 11pm, it's pretty quiet. I would also be prepared to walk quite a bit, especially if you are staying in the winter time. The water parks are spaced pretty decently apart, and Glacier Canyon is a bit of a walk from the indoor parks.

Room Tip: I believe the main hallway is on the second or third floor, so I would try to avoid that area of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Bettendorf, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We had a two bedroom condo for our family of 5. We pre-cooked all of our meals at home and put the kitchen to excellent use. We ate all 3 meals a day in our condo, REALLY cutting down of food expense. Well equipped kitchen with plenty of glasswear, plates, pans, etc. The beds were comfortable. Kids loved the bunk bed. We did not use the trundle. We adults enjoyed the patio each night for wine after the kids went to bed. The furnishing we keeping with the north woods theme and in great condition. There have been negative comments regarding customer service and I wanted to comment. We noticed a broken hinge on one of the kitchen cabinets our second night. They were there in 10 minutes and replaced the hinge without question or accusation that maybe we had caused the damage. We thought the water park at glacier was the best also. We will be back!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
DePue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Took our daughter's family to this wilderness waterpark resort including 3 year old grandson. Lots of indoor and outdoor areas for toddlers. Had a 2 bedroom suite with 1 1/2 baths which was very convenient. A little over priced but lots to do.

Room Tip: Three resorts are aargh of wilderness. Choose the one that suits your needs because you have access...
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My background is in hospitality; specifically HR and I currently work in customer service. Upon arrival to the hotel (which we did stay through Wyndham) the check in was great but then it went down hill. We got to our room and there were still dirty linens in the room and crumbs on the countertop. Not a big deal but the fact that things just kept happening was why I am writing this review. We asked multiple life guards, employees, etc. how you got to the different parks within the resort and no one had a clue. We called down to the desk to see if our 4 year old could ride go karts with me; I got transferred 4 different times and still no one had any idea - not even the people that were out working at the go kart facility; finally I was able to get an answer.

Went to go to dinner one night and there was a long wait so we called the hotel and asked for a recommendation - girl was clueless, finally she recommended one of the restraurants on site and I specifically asked...Is this a restaurant that includes the kids under 8 eat free and I was told Yes TWICE! So we made the decision to drive back to the resort, walk quite a long ways, sit down to order and I asked again and this time was told no kids are not free. I asked to speak with a manager; who I will give credit to, she was kind and did credit our kids meals per the MOD BUT that was after I called the main desk and talked to them, they told me to call the Wyndham main desk who then told me to call back to the hotel main desk who then said I need to speak to the Wilderness MOD who of course was not available so then I asked for the restaurant manager. The restaurant manager told me she would contact the MOD and have her come down....well there was a medical emergency that she was dealing with so that was totally understandable but we were told she would call us....never happened.

Then the next day we were at one of the indoor water parks and there is a kiddie slide that our 2 year old daughter was going down that specifically had a sign that said "NO KIDS OVER 42 INCHES TALL"; next thing we know there are 8 and 10 year olds going down this slide bulldozing over kids so I asked the life guard could he please enforce the rule and he said this "What do you want me to do it is a kids slide?" I said "I want you to enforce the rule that is posted and tell them that they are too big for the slide (the slide was shorter than the length of these kids bodies)" and he then told me "I am not going to do that" so I asked another life guard and of course he directed me back to the same guy and at that point the original guy said he doesn't even know how tall 42 inches is, I am from another country we go by centimeters." Are you freaking kidding me? So I showed him about how tall 42" is and he still did nothing and basically laughed it off as all of these little kids were getting ran over.

This place was a joke; they need to train their employees on how to treat guests. They also maybe should consider giving a basic math lesson or converting their signs to include various units of measure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Grafton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family of 4 with a 12 year old and a 9 year old stayed on Jun 27th. We've stayed at Glacier Canyon before but in the winter. In the winter it's a long (indoor) hike to the Wilderness water park. In the summer though, the best water park in the resort is right outside your door. We got the 2 BR suite, and the room is BIG. It has a bath and a half, 2 bedrooms with bunks for the kids. The beds are the highest quality and most comfortable I have slept in this side of the Beverly Hilton. The room is beautifully decorated with a faux fireplace and even a Murphy bed for laying around watching cartoons after swimming all day. The kitchen is full of utensils and dishes, an oven, a full fridge etc. It's really like having your house at the Dells. Everything in the room is meticulously clean. The place seems brand new every time we go. I highly recommend this hotel for your family trip to the Dells.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the suites at the Glacier Canyon if you like peace and quiet. I've stayed at...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Wonderful place to vacation with a large family. Plenty of room for all.
Family on 8 traveled three bedroom more than enough to accommodate
Everyone. Interior is new and very nice. Kids will love the water parks.
Adults will enjoy the balcony and the space.

Room Tip: Don't arrive on time for check in the room will not be ready. After 4 pm. Cook yours own meals...
Waterloo, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Our group of 4 stayed at Glacier Canyon Lodge in late June and like other reviewers weren't sure what we would find. The Wilderness Resort and GCL are basically one and the same ( the buildings are connected by a skywalk) and they have more than 1000 rooms. So by the time you check in and find your room a lot of time has passed. Our room was in building 3 and on the 5th floor. We faced the waterpark and the view was great, especially at night when everything was softly lit. The room we had was not a condo but a standard motel room. Kind of Northwood chic meets Super 8. The beds and linens are of high quality. For our group it suited our purposes just fine. The large Lost World waterpark was right below us, this park had lots to offer but the highlight was the longest, swiftest lazy river I had ever seen. The Wilderness Resort has 3 outdoor and 3 indoor parks and I would recommend searching out all of them. You will get your exercise as the skywalk will take you perhaps 1/2 mile from one end to the other. One indoor park has a huge wave pool that is very popular but is so big you will have some space.
The rates for Glacier Canyon Lodge are similar to Kalahari and Great Wolf but may have more to offer, so I would definitely consider this place when researching the Dells. One thing I might say is that the food stands that sell burgers, hot dogs, pizza slices, etc. should be avoided. If you expect high prices and lousy food you will not be disappointed. Have a real meal at Monk's or a short drive away is Moosejaw Brewery and Pizza.
The usual go karts and arcades are here but for a brief getaway they have numerous hiking trails that will get you some much needed silence.
If you are looking for a resort where you don't need to leave the premises ( shuttles are very reliable ) this one should fit your needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Lost World Park. And use the complimentary shuttle service. Bring lots of...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Glacier Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!