“Wonderful Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago
“Wonderful Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We booked a vacation at the Wyndham Condos at Glacier Canyon in Wisconsin Dells. We stayed in a one bedroom unit, which had a let out coach in the living room. It was just enough room for four people. The accommodations were great. The condo was clean, spacious and well stocked. The furnishings were top notch! We had an awesome view of the outdoor waterparks and surrounding resort. If you are visiting the waterparks, put your walking shoes on, the walk is long. When visiting waterparks, go after 5pm, they are less crowded in the evening. We will certainly return year after year!

Room Tip: Try to get a room by the skywalk if you are visiting the waterparks

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Wauconda, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Glacier Canyon over the Spring Break week for three nights. We stayed in the two bedroom unit with Grandparents and kids. It was just enough room for the 6 of us, but still felt a bit small. During this time we were told that the resort was 100% sold out, but it didn’t feel overcrowded, except by the pools.

Resort – You can walk from one end to the resort to the other completely in doors. By the time you have done so, you will probably have walked about mile from the front desk to the far reaching rooms. It took us a while to check-in (and out) and the process was rather long and confusing for my elderly father. And of course you couldn’t get out check-in without being hit up for a timeshare presentation. Since it was spring the outdoor activities in the middle of the horseshoe like expanse of Glacier Canyon were not yet open which meant that you had to take a hike over to the Wilderness to use any of the pools. This meant a long walk to the pools or cold shuttle ride because it required you going out doors. They did have the Zip-Line open on a couple days, but I thought I was too big to try that.

Rooms – Despite their age, the room still seemed new. The wear on the rooms has been minimal but you certainly do not smell a new building anymore. The main bedroom had a king bed and the second bedroom had bunk bed with a queen and twin. Neither room had much closet storage….drawers…but no closable closets. Great care has been taken with the textured walls with the natural colors to give you a feel of being in the wilderness. Even the furniture is carved out of large logs. The room is done to give you a feeling of being in log cabin instead of large resort. The rooms did feel a bit small as we tried to put a twin air mattress down in the master and it barley fit. The room mattresses were fine but lacked much extra padding (no pillow tops here). The pillows were awful. It took several of them to build up any support. No nice warm duvets on these beds. It was the typical blanket and thin comforter cover that you would expect for a mid-range hotel. The bath was floor to ceiling tile an only had a tub/shower combo. The problem was that there was no stopper for the shower (don’t know if this was by purpose…the front desk never addressed this concern for us).

Main Living Area – Throughout the room the ceilings are about 12 feet high which make the area feel larger. It was nice having an electric fireplace and TV (though the older flat screen set probably needs to be replaced soon as the colors were fading). There was plenty of seating in the room. However, the chairs at the dining room table were a bit large for my 2 and 4 year old. The kitchen was adequate to prepare a decent meal and had many of the things you needed to prepare you mean. It was nice not having to run out with such small children to grab a noon meal. My biggest complaint was that noise seemed to travel through the walls easily. On a couple nights were hear the family jumping up and down in the room above us to the late hours of the night. That was a bit annoying when you are trying to get to sleep with some small children. One of my biggest gripes was that the wifi was almost non-existent. Yes, I am on vacation, but still had to occasionally check-in on work. When we did get on the net in room 2041, our speeds were around 6kbps (not MBs). Also, Verizon signal in this room was bad and I couldn’t even tether. I am assuming the speeds are better in other areas of the resort as I saw a few people surfing (the web) by the pool.

Pools – there were three main pools at the Wilderness and one at the Wilderness on the Lake. I would say the pool at the Wilderness on the Lake is worth the hike if you have small children. It is more geared toward them and was less crowded. There are two water park like pools at the Wilderness that seemed very similar…though the Wild West one was quite a hike away. It did have the indoor bumper boat rides, but the rest seemed about the same as the other. I often found the hot tubs overcrowded and no one was policing them for children under 6 (which I guess is the WI law). The main pool is the wave pool and sun area (the one they advertise with the cabanas). It is long hike if you take the upper level around, but you can cut through the back of one of the pools to get their quicker (there is a bridge back by the waterslide). Tubes are a premium at the wave pool but my son really liked it despite them having to close the pool down because someone found poop in the pool (which happened twice on our stay).

Play areas – the Indoor pay area was nice, but found one problem with it. There are two entrances/exits. Your child could easily exit through one without you knowing…especially because it is hard to keep track of them with all the levels and hidden areas. The arcade is nice, but you have to buy a card, and it keeps all your earned tickets on it. Also, some of the games run off the value stored on the card and some run of tokens you must purchase with your card and you must use both to claim the tickets. This can be confusing.

Parking – Was fine. You get pretty much near your room, but there is long ramp to the door to bring your stuff out. There were plenty of luggage carts too, but it was hard fitting many people in the elevator with a luggage cart already in there. Also was a long wait for the elevator to come. Since we were on floor 2 of building 4 we learned we could use the door at building 3 and avoid the elevator.

Spa – Can’t speak for this personally, but my wife got a massage. It was expensive…even by Chicago standards. She wishes she would have brought her swim suit to use some of the facilities as she was already running late because the facility was difficult to find (it took some driving around to find). She said it was probably one of the best massages she ever got. She just wishes she spent more time there to relax and could afford more of their services. She also forgot their 10% off coupon in their coupon book…so don’t forget that.

Overall – Was it worth over $1000 for three nights….tough to say. Would I go back…probably. Overall it was nice stay and the kids had fun. We were comfortable, minus some minor annoyances such as the noise from overhead a couple of nights and the slow wifi. I will and have recommended this place to friends for their next visit to the Dells.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second level so you do not have to navigate stairs in the winter to get to the Wil...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family stayed at Glacier Canyon Lodge at the Wilderness Resort over spring break. We rented a 3-bedroom, 2-bath condo from a timeshare owner on vrbo.com and it suited our family of 8 very comfortably.

The main living area, kitchen and dining space were all open and airy. The furniture in the living room area wasn't very comfy. The faux leather sofa made an annoying squeak every time any of us would sit or move on it. There was a decent sized TV with cable and a DVD player.

The main bedroom was very large. It had a king sized bed that was comfortable. There was also a whirlpool tub, outside sink (don't know what else to call it), along with a toilet, sink and shower in an additional space. The second bedroom contained a queen bed and the third bedroom had two queen beds. The second bathroom was pretty basic but roomy.

The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, pots and pans. The dishes were obnoxiously large and difficult to fit well in the auto dishwasher. The coffeemaker was very dated and a little grungy but functional.

The free wifi was HORRIBLE. We were able to connect on the first day of our stay but unable to the rest of the week. I called the front desk and they stated that it was likely due to the number of guests staying and connecting. Why wouldn't a hotel operator account for the maximum number of possible guests? The person at the front desk said that the wifi in the lobby area was working well and that I could go there to use it. Should I have to go to the lobby to retrieve emails or get some work done? Not for the price that we paid to stay there. It was too bad.

The waterparks were all very fun if a little crowded. The staff was attentive, everything was kept clean and safe.

All in all the stay was enjoyable and we will likely be visiting again soon.

Woodbury, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had never been to the dells before, so this was new to us. We stayed in a 3 bedroom 3 bath condo with full kitchen. The hotel was clean and being on the 4th floor was really nice, for the most part it was quiet. The scenery was amazing and beautiful! There was a lot of space for us to play and move around. We went right before the big spring break rush started. The staff was questionable for me. None spoke English, so when my son locked the door on us, they didn't understand and it was quite a hassle. The 2nd morning, I couldn't find my contacts, they had been taken out of my toiletries bag and put in my make up bag. Other things were also moved which wasn't just because they were cleaning. I didn't think anything of it until later that day. I was walking to the water park and saw 2 maids cleaning another room. They were pulling items out of the customer's bag and holding it up and talking about it. I didn't understand what they were saying, but they had pulled 2 different items out before I fully walked by. That made me uncomfortable and I did not let the staff come in my room the rest of the stay. On the last day, we had late check-out, which gave us one extra hour. That was very nice! I was showering at 11am, and the room staff started knocking on my door, I yelled that I was in the shower, they knocked again and again. (I know they can hear the shower in the hallway, because I could hear my father taking a shower when I was in the hall, earlier in the week) The staff decided to come into my room. I poked my head out and yelled again I was in the shower.....not sure if they didn't understand or not, but that was not ok. People complain about the walking, but I didn't think it was that bad. I would recommend bringing a cover-up or your own towel/robe along with slip on shoes so after you spend the day in the water you don't get cold. The hallways are a lot colder than the water area - they try to keep them warm, but it doesn't work too well. The water park staff were all "nice". Again most didn't speak English which caused a problem for my 9 year old. The fellow working the tubes, put my son on the tube backwards and when my son tried to talk to him, he said, "oh, you're excited....ok, go" Well, as he went down, one of the drops flipped my son and he hit his head and went down the rest of the slide without a tube and in pain. It was more scary than anything for him, and the bump wasn't too bad, but he didn't feel comfortable going down by himself any more. I would go again in a heartbeat, but again, I would want to be on the 4th floor and away from the stair and elevators. I would rather walk the extra 2 minutes to have peace and quiet at night. I gave it 4 stars because most of the water park staff were safe and helpful (the one made a mistake, and people make mistakes) It bothered me that the staff went through my stuff, but to solve that I just put a "do not disturb" sign in my door and never had it cleaned. That isn't a huge issue for me. One last thing - I highly recommend bringing some if not all of your own food. The food was super expensive and gross. We made all of our food in the room, just easy stuff. It tasted good, was less expensive and better quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had a 3 bedroom condo and just a single room with 2 queen beds. The rooms are very nice. Looks like they were just refurbished. If you stay in the Glacier Lodge ask for a room near the skywalk, otherwise the walk is very long. The condo is the way to go with kids. Bring your own food... the restaurants are very expensive and not very good. Kids eat free at the buffet--- but- for the breakfast buffet they charge $18 for an adult. No savings there.
I found out once there part of Glacier Lodge is a timeshare so you may be able to rent a unit thru VRBO. ??

It was spring break and the water parks were packed. The ideal age for this resort are kids ages 8 and up...especially when it is crowded. It is just too overwelming for little ones. Half the time we could not even find a table to put our things around or just to sit down. Ideally-- go off season.

Would definately stay at the Glacier Lodge again but not during a peak season.

Room Tip: Close to skywalk.. not 2nd floor.. that's where all the foot traffic is.
Schererville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Loved this resort our room was amazing on the second floor had 2 very large bedrooms, and a Murphy Bed in the Living room, Great Kitchen,Dinning room Living room , 2 bathrooms, the only downfall was lots of walking to the WaterParks! We took 2 of my granddaughters age 16 (her birthday was celebrated there) and my 11 year old and my Daughter who is 35. They all loved it... But trying to keep up with them really Made us feel our age, but we did our best to kept up with them! It was spring break so yes it was crowded, the food at the pool restaurants were not that great and a little expensive. We purchased the game cards that were $20.00 each you got to play Lazer Tag, 2 Mini Golfs, Water Bumper Cars, Haunted Maze, Rope Walk , $1.00 off ice cream, and 1 more I can't think of we'll worth the money and the only way to go!
You have full run of the other 4 Resorts , be prepared for lots of steps on the large slides ,
We will return to this resort again very soon! Had a blast in the Wave Pool !

Room Tip: I prefer one with a full kitchen and bring your own food to save you some money!
Clarksville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay for a Fall Break. We have rented a two & three bedroom condo to stay in with our children & grandchildren. Large enough for comfort, kitchen fully equipped for cooking, places to walk & see on property and quiet! A bargain for all of us together. Yes, for 11 of us! Glacier has everything we need for the family, yes we walk over to the Wilderness but it is not that far for the children ages 4 to 12 to walk. Plus it is well worth the walk. We live in Tn and the 600 mile trip to the Wilderness and Glacier that is more reasonable than going to Sevierville, Tn to the other Wilderness. The Dells area has lots ot offer and looking forward to the next family trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Glacier Canyon Lodge? Share your experiences!