“Relax Like your Worlds Away while Minutes From The Dells” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Valley Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Rainbow Valley Resort
4125 HWY 13, P.O.Box 487, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #45 of 75 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee
“Relax Like your Worlds Away while Minutes From The Dells”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Captain Dix was a fun place to be the last weekend before Labor day. In a town that was just bursting with tourists and crowds; Captain Dix was a Great escape from it all ... Just minutes from the Dells, in a cozy nook the rooms sizes vary from 2 (which we had) to up to 6. lots of little things to do on the property they have a basketball court, a shuffleboard, a horseshoes pit, a HUGE (seriously) "back lawn" but i believe their 50 ft X 12 ft pool was quite the star on the property;). with a dorm fridge, microwave, and coffee pot made for a great morning after. i honestly don't know if they had internet in the rooms because we wouldn't have used it anyway, we left the computer behind for our getaway

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

My partner and I stayed for a weekend in August. It was a great place to get away from our busy lives. Don't go in expecting the Ritz because you will be disappointed. However, if you want to relax, socialize with others a bit, take some long nature walks and enjoy the Dells, then stay here.

The hospitality is great, the people are friendly, the rooms could be updated a bit, but overall, we enjoyed our stay. The grounds are very pretty and you get used to the chickens and ducks running around (not kidding!). The drinks are good and cheap.

Will we be back, not sure, but we'll remember the weekend with fond memories.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Rainbow Valley is a great place .... the rooms are simple but nice ... has frigs, microwaves,,,tv,,, great place to hike..pool... nice and quiet.. I love getting up in the morning and sitting on the deck and just listen to the birds. It's also awesome casue they have to attitude there everyone is nice to you and treat you really good. Never ate there but the bar is fun... with lots of locals that always have time to talk to you.. Great location... can stay there and enjoy all the fun the Dells has to offer. Then go back to the peace and quite of the resort. Gary the owner is great too always greeting everyone with a big smile!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I was a bit reluctant to stay at the Rainbow Valley Resort based on some of the negative reviews on this site. So I only booked a weeknight stay (Wed. night). I camped at the nearby Devil's Lake State Park Thursday through Sunday, which was a mistake since it was rainy and cold. I actually found the resort to be really nice. I booked a single suite which I found to be very clean. The room came with refrigerator, microwave, dish TV, two queen beds and a patio area in back. There was a relatively new gas grill, so I was able to BBQ my dinner. Besides the nice clean room, the grounds are very spacious and lush green. There are many woods and they have groomed hiking trails throughout the grounds. I visited the sunning area and the pool and enjoyed basking au natural in the late day sun. It was very quiet during the week. Next time, I'll book longer time and include the weekend when it gets a bit busier. The owner, Gary was very nice and I could tell he and his help work hard to provide a good experience for visitors. I would definitely recommend this resort, especially for gay/bi travelers to the Wisconsin Dells area. I did come back on Friday night to enjoy the Captain Dix bar and it was busy. I didn't try out the dining area. I also enjoyed the Mazo beach area during my stay. It's only about 30 minutes from Rainbow Resort.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

Very nice place to stay. The price was right and bar to boot. The dinner was very good and was close to downtown Dells. Clean and other guest where as nice. We will go again. Seen the green and the music of the outdoors restfull. Nice!

• Liked — location, freinds, music and restfullness. nature
  • Disliked — The pool could had been warmer, but there was rain too.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madison, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

This place was not clean and they wouldn't let us get our money back even though there were crumbs and dirt on the floor and the bedding.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2006

My parnter and I went to Rainbow Valley Resort for the first time last weekend where we had a great time and met some great people.

Rainbow Valley is a lodge / restaurant and bar that caters to gays and lesbians. The staff was very warm and friendly, they made you feel like a member of their family.

The lodging is very simple, almost like a fishing resort, in fact the resort property dates back many years (40's, 50'S ?) when it was the Artist Glen Resort, a well known Dells area family resort. The owner Gary purchased the resort about six years ago (he originally named it Captain Dix which is still the name of the bar).

There are several basic lodge rooms in several small buildings and individual cabins. We stayed in a standard lodge room that had two double beds and a large bathroom. The decor of the room was sparse and simple but the room was very clean and had a small refridgerator and microwave that were nice additions.

There is a large outdoor pool and sunning area, on the Saturday that we were at the resort there was a small bar by the pool offering mixed drinks, beer, water and soda.

There is a small restaurant that is connected to the bar that serves very good food (dinner only), we met several other couples we met in the day for dinner.

The bar has a friendly crowd made-up of both resort guest and locals (this is the only gay bar in the area). The crowd was friendly and there was even live music by one of the patrons early in the evening.

We really enjoyed the resort because unlike so many other gay resorts there was no attitude and everyone was friendly. The staff was very cordial and really appreciated your business (unlike many gay resorts). While we did meet a group of friendly local lesbians at the bar I did not see any staying at the resort and to be honest the enviornment appeard to be more geared for gay men.

We would highly recommend Rainbow Valley to any gay couples looking for a great weekend in Wisconsin.

Been to Rainbow Valley Resort? Share your experiences!