“Secluded and Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Valley Resort

Rainbow Valley Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Rainbow Valley Resort
You added Rainbow Valley Resort to your Saves list
4125 HWY 13, P.O.Box 487, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #56 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Rock Island, Illinois, Usa
“Secluded and Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I spent a long weekend at Rainbow Valley and enjoyed every minute of it. The owners Gary and Andre made me feel very welcome from the time I arrived. The secluded wooded setting was a perfect escape to relax with just the guys. The bar and restaurant serve great food and drink without being fussy. My room was very comfortable and clean. I slept very soundly in the comfortable king size bed.The patio off of my room had a great view of the beautiful grounds. The clothing optional pool offered a great way to meet a variety of men and socialize. The bar scene in the evenings offered great drinks and a fun crowd Friends joined me for dinner on Sunday and we had a fabulous meal..I will definitely plan a return visit to Rainbow Valley.

Room Tip: The center section of the motel have sliders to patios that have easy access to the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Did a weekend getaway and stayed overnight at Captain Dix. Tucked away on River Road, this is a rustic gay-oriented resort with cabins, and beautiful grounds. This is not a luxury resort, but it has a lot going for it. In particular, the resort has a great lounge, featuring some seriuosly attentive and gorgeous bartenders. The owner Gary, was extremely friendly and attentive, and the group in the bar was very friendly and down to earth. The bartenders on duty 6/22 were incredibly friendly, particularly AJ, who was apparently on his second night working there. There are multiple fireplaces scattered around the grounds, and all the guests we encountered extremely friendly. Though only 45 minutes from home, it's a great getaway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Captain Dix was a fun place to be the last weekend before Labor day. In a town that was just bursting with tourists and crowds; Captain Dix was a Great escape from it all ... Just minutes from the Dells, in a cozy nook the rooms sizes vary from 2 (which we had) to up to 6. lots of little things to do on the property they have a basketball court, a shuffleboard, a horseshoes pit, a HUGE (seriously) "back lawn" but i believe their 50 ft X 12 ft pool was quite the star on the property;). with a dorm fridge, microwave, and coffee pot made for a great morning after. i honestly don't know if they had internet in the rooms because we wouldn't have used it anyway, we left the computer behind for our getaway

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

My partner and I stayed for a weekend in August. It was a great place to get away from our busy lives. Don't go in expecting the Ritz because you will be disappointed. However, if you want to relax, socialize with others a bit, take some long nature walks and enjoy the Dells, then stay here.

The hospitality is great, the people are friendly, the rooms could be updated a bit, but overall, we enjoyed our stay. The grounds are very pretty and you get used to the chickens and ducks running around (not kidding!). The drinks are good and cheap.

Will we be back, not sure, but we'll remember the weekend with fond memories.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Rainbow Valley is a great place .... the rooms are simple but nice ... has frigs, microwaves,,,tv,,, great place to hike..pool... nice and quiet.. I love getting up in the morning and sitting on the deck and just listen to the birds. It's also awesome casue they have to attitude there everyone is nice to you and treat you really good. Never ate there but the bar is fun... with lots of locals that always have time to talk to you.. Great location... can stay there and enjoy all the fun the Dells has to offer. Then go back to the peace and quite of the resort. Gary the owner is great too always greeting everyone with a big smile!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I was a bit reluctant to stay at the Rainbow Valley Resort based on some of the negative reviews on this site. So I only booked a weeknight stay (Wed. night). I camped at the nearby Devil's Lake State Park Thursday through Sunday, which was a mistake since it was rainy and cold. I actually found the resort to be really nice. I booked a single suite which I found to be very clean. The room came with refrigerator, microwave, dish TV, two queen beds and a patio area in back. There was a relatively new gas grill, so I was able to BBQ my dinner. Besides the nice clean room, the grounds are very spacious and lush green. There are many woods and they have groomed hiking trails throughout the grounds. I visited the sunning area and the pool and enjoyed basking au natural in the late day sun. It was very quiet during the week. Next time, I'll book longer time and include the weekend when it gets a bit busier. The owner, Gary was very nice and I could tell he and his help work hard to provide a good experience for visitors. I would definitely recommend this resort, especially for gay/bi travelers to the Wisconsin Dells area. I did come back on Friday night to enjoy the Captain Dix bar and it was busy. I didn't try out the dining area. I also enjoyed the Mazo beach area during my stay. It's only about 30 minutes from Rainbow Resort.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

Very nice place to stay. The price was right and bar to boot. The dinner was very good and was close to downtown Dells. Clean and other guest where as nice. We will go again. Seen the green and the music of the outdoors restfull. Nice!

• Liked — location, freinds, music and restfullness. nature
  • Disliked — The pool could had been warmer, but there was rain too.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rainbow Valley Resort? Share your experiences!