“OMG, Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   670 East Lake Avenue, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Offers & Announcements
Fall Romance Package
Chicago, Illinois
“OMG, Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Delton, our 2nd time staying at the beautiful Delton Resort and we had a 3 bedroom have stayed at some very nice places. :spaciousness, clean, up to date, great view, comfortable, and what more can I said but we can't wait to go back and stay longer. Thanks to the staff, especially Rich the manager, Rich you are the BEST, thanks again for all of your help in making our spring break the best. We will be back very soon. SUGGESTION all traavelers ask for condo units off the delton river

Room Tip: all condo unit..great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in a two-bedroom condo for two nights . The person greeting us was helpful, but not very enthusiastic. The unit was extremely clean and contemporary. We had a master bedroom with a king bed that was comfortable and an amazing spa-like shower, with a room on the other side that had a queen bed and bathroom. We wanted some privacy because we were traveling with teens, and this was the perfect set-up. The complex also offered special discounted tickets to the Kalahari Resort and a magic show so it gave us something additional to do given the cold weather outside. The unit also had a full kitchen with nice appliances. We were hoping to cook some meals in the condo, but the pots, pans, dishes and silverware were horrible(cracked dishes and mugs, rusty pans, odds and ends silverware). Disappointing given how nice everything else was maintained. Not sure why they would skimp in that regard Perhaps other condos are better stocked. I would have given the place a '5' had it not been for that. Also, the place does not have gym, at least not one we could find.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

As our stay at the Delton Grand Resort and Spa neared, my wife and I looked forward to our first romantic weekend getaway together since we became parents. What we found instead was a stripper pole that we didn't ask for, a very poorly maintained room, and management that was not appropriately responsive to our very legitimate concerns.

Let's go back to when I first made the reservation. On August 11, I had a telephone conversation with the resort office during which I requested the Italian Renaissance theme room. I was very specific about my request for the Italian renaissance room, because my wife and I thought to recapture a little bit of the romance and magic from our honeymoon in Florence.

"So we are all set with the Italian Renaissance room?" I asked.
"You should be, yes," said the resort office.
"Is there anything else I need to do to confirm that the Italian Renaissance room is the one we're getting?" I asked.
"No."

When we got to our room, we were very surprised to find a stripper pole in our room. We were not in the Renaissance room, but in the "Vegas VIP Lounge."

Listen: I get that this room could be fun, under some circumstances. I could see why a couple might want a room with zebra-print carpet, a window from the living room looking into the group shower, and a full-size stripper pole, greased up and ready to go. But this was not supposed to be that kind of stay.

I called the front desk and explained our situation. We were given two options:

(1) They could move us from an intimate theme suite to a gigantic, unintimate 3-room condo that basically looked like my parents' house; or

(2) They generously offered to give us a full refund and let us take our chances finding other accommodations in Wisconsin Dells at 5 pm on an August Friday.

We preferred to sleep indoors, and in a place that did not look like a boring suburban home, so we grudgingly decide to make a go of it in our Vegas-themed suite and not let it ruin our weekend.

Again: I'm not a prude. I understand the appeal of having a long metal pole in front of your bed. I can imagine many reasons why you might want one, even if you are not a stripper, the significant other of a stripper, or a fireman. But, theme issues aside, there were other very basic issues with the room:

* Eight light bulbs had burned out;
* The remote control to the television did not work; and
* The hanging vertical blinds were missing a panel, right next to the stripper pole! In other words, any person who happened to use the sidewalk right outside our window (yes, there is a sidewalk there) could easily see whatever is happening at our stripper pole.

When you are in a room that looks nice on the surface but has these small issues, you have to ask yourself what other issues might exist. How often do they clean the stripper's pole? What other surfaces in here might seem opaque but can actually be seen through? What happened in this jacuzzi, exactly, that makes it drain so slowly?

We called the front desk again to request that these issues be repaired. They said they'd take care of it by 7:00 pm. They didn't fix it until the next afternoon, and even then, they only replaced about half of the bulbs.

We were determined to have a good time. On Saturday morning we showed up at the spa for the couples massage we had scheduled. There, after a fifteen-minute wait, we were told that they had accidentally scheduled another couple for that time slot, and that would have to reschedule. I began to suspect that even though they frequently used the word "reservation," they did not really know what it meant.

After several more phone calls with the manager, Rich Kowalec, he finally agreed to send us a gift certificate entitling us to one complimentary stay at the Italian Renaissance Suite. We accepted his offer. He said we could expect it in the mail within the week. The week came and went. Only after two more follow-up phone calls to the resort did we finally receive our gift certificate.

That placated us for a little while.

Let's fast-forward several months. It is now April 2013, and the snow has finally melted away. Our thoughts turned to spring, and to finding a way to celebrate our wedding anniversary. How about using our gift certificate? At first the front desk person was pleased to tell us that the Renaissance suite would be available. As a courtesy, I let her know that we would be using a gift certificate that we had received from Rich. Suddenly her manager was on the phone, telling us that the suite was not available to us.

"Wait, I'm confused," I said. "I was just told it was available. What happened?"

"Well, your gift certificate says 'subject to availability,'" she said.

"I was just told that it isn't booked. That means it's available, doesn't it?"

"Well, technically nobody has booked it yet," she said. "But that's our high season, so we need to check first to see how close we are to actually booking that room."

So, at the Delton Grand, "subject to availability" does not mean that the room has to be, you know, available. It means that they're willing to give us the room, but only if they aren't able to book somebody else first. My mistake.

Current status: I have been told that the manager will be giving me a call tomorrow morning. I have my doubts. No matter what happens for here, my wife and I are not entirely sure that we would want to stay at a place that has given us such a bad experience. We'd rather just write a detailed review instead.

We would love to give the Delton Grand zero stars, but apparently that sort of technology doesn't exist yet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My family and I stayed in a one bedroom condo with a pull out queen. The unit was extremely clean, new and modern. Cool spa like shower was a nice surprise. Beautiful lake view as well. This would be a great place to return to in the summer. We wanted to stay somewhere quiet and comfortable when visiting a water park. We took advantage of the spring break package which included tickets to Kalahari. One thing to keep in mind is that during peak tines like spring break that places like Kalahari that sell to those not staying at their resort limit the day passes they sell. I was a little disappointed when we checked in that the passes were sold out for the day. Not Delton's fault but I had specifically asked if that could happen when I made my reservation. We made it work by going to Devil's Head skiing and went to the water park the next day (I made sure I picked up my tickers from the office very early the next am. They were nice to call me at the main Delton office when ready).
If we ever come back to the Dells we would definitely come back. Would love to use the spa. Would be nice if they had a gym.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We recently stayed here for the night. My only wish is it was longer than just one night. We stayed in a one bedroom condo and it was wonderful. Super clean and well kept. It had a beautiful view of the lake. So peaceful and relaxing. We also got discounted tickets for the Kalahari which was not far from this resort at all. We had the indoor pool and hot tub to ourselves for a couple of hours which was great. The pool is not that large but good enough for unwinding. Our only complaint was the pull out couch sleeper. It was extremely uncomfortable but luckily we read reviews and brought along our blow up mattress so the kids slept on that. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I wanted a getaway for his birthday. We stayed in the spa room overlooking Lake Delton. It was quiet, clean and a perfect time together. We also wanted to enjoy the Kalahari water park, so were furnished with a day pass by the Delton Grand. We love the water park, but enjoyed the solitude we found back at the Delton Grand. Not having any young children running up and down the halls was great. Would recommend this place and would stay again. Oh, my only complaint. There are no phones in the room, while we have cell phones, I am still a little uneasy about not having access to a phone line in case of an emergency. Overall, great place, great time, great memories. Would love to come back and enjoy when the ice was off the lake. We wished we had brought our skis to enjoy the lake. Next time!!!

Room Tip: Overlooking the water!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Our family takes a trip with our kids every year to The Dells. I am not one for staying at hotels (I'm a germ phob) and stress about having to go to the room. I stumbled upon the Lake Delton website looking for condos to stay at and SO happy I found it!!! Our room was beautiful, clean, on the lake with a great view, and it was "just like home." I was comfortable and it felt like a home, not a hotel. Our family will never stay anywhere else! When I called for rates and availability, the person I talked to was extremely helpful and the rates and water park tickets were priced great too!!!

Thanks to the Grand Delton, our family trip was AWESOME!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Delton Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!