Considering there are only 30 reviews here, I'm considering Tamarack to be a well-kept secret of the Dells. We rented a 2 bedroom condo for about ~150/nt. Here was our experience:
Customer Service: There was a little wait when we first checked in, but in fairness we were there at Noon and official check in was at 4pm. They were just verifying if housekeeping had gotten to our condo and finished cleaning. Other than that, I found the staff to be very helpful and the rest of the checkin and checkout processes went smoothly. There is no daily maid service, but they do have a 'linen exchange' where you can bring any towels, blankets, sheets, etc. and have them swapped out for clean ones.
The unit itself: I'd say our unit was semi-renovated. Part looked newer, parts looked older, but none of it I would consider 'run-down'. It was still well preserved. One complaint we had was that the room did have hints of having been smoked in (which drove my wife's allergies crazy), but it wasn't an overwhelming odor at all. Most importantly, EVERYTHING WORKED! Appliances were well kept and operational. Plenty of dishes, silverware, servingware, cookware, etc. Icemaker in the fridge worked as well. Hot water was VERY HOT and plentiful. That was one of the best features. :) Unit was also QUIET. Never heard any of the neighbors on either side of us. A/C worked fine as well (the place was actually FREEZING when we walked in. All in all, it wasn't the best condo I've stayed in (that would be in Orlando), but for the Dells I have to think it was 2 or 3 notches above your average hotel and - in most cases - half the price.
Location: Very nice location in that it seems far away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown areas, but it's really only minutes away from anything. Made it very easy to bring the kids back for a lunch break and then go back out afterwards. And again, very quiet.
Common Areas: Clubhouse, Pools, courts, playrooms were all in good shape. Nothing fancy with the pools (i.e. no slides), but we also had no problems with overcrowding or over-utilization. Indoor pool area has a nice 1ft depth pool for the real little ones. Locker rooms were clean. Didn't use the showers, but did see someone cleaning them while I was there. Didn't have a chance to check out the paddle boats on the lake, but those are free to guests as well.
Amenities: Pools (indoor and outdoor), hot tub, racketball, tennis, paddleboats, kids play area, videos/games for rent, discount card for many area attractions/restaurants (usually about 10% off).
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay here and I'll definitely plan on staying here again. Only caveat is that, like many other condo rentals, your experience can vary depending on how well maintained the unit you receive is. By reports though, it appears that many of them are getting rehabbed, so the chance of getting a 'lemon' should be lower. Also, we rented a 2 bedroom unit, but one of the units was actually a loft that overlooked the living room. Not a huge deal, but we had a 3mo in our room (other two kids took the second bedroom), which was the loft and had to be extra quiet after she went to bed. Just something to note.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located midway between Chicago and Minneapolis, Wisconsin Dells is an ideal family vacation spot with a variety of entertaining activities offered year-round. In the late fall and winter, you can ski, snowmobile and ice skate. In the spring and summer, take the kids to ride the Ducks on a scenic tour or to one of the thrilling water parks. Whether you're bringing the kids on vacation, or you're just a kid at heart, the Wisconsin Dells will keep you coming back for more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarack And Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort
- Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Fairfield Wisconsin Dells