“A Refreshing Change” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 169 restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a small, family owned casual, fine dining Italian-American restaurant. Our meals are four course, which includes homemade minestrone soup, tossed salad with Italian dressing, your entree and rainbow sherbet. Please plan on a leisurely dinner, as all entrees are made to order. They may take a bit more time, but we are told that they are worth the wait!
Wisconsin
“A Refreshing Change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have been coming to the Dells for years. Sometimes twice a month during the summer months. I don't know why we haven't tried this place sooner, but last weekend we finally did!

We entered and found the atmostphere to be small and cozy. We were greeted immediately and told there would be a 15 minute wait or so (it was prom). That wasn't a problem, as we had nowhere else to be that night. We sat at the bar and enjoyed a glass of wine. Their wine list is basically (1) merlot (1) cabernet, etc. I would have liked to see a more extensive wine menu at an Italian restaurant, but it worked! The wait turned out to be 30+ minutes, but again, it didn't bother us one bit. We were relaxing and enjoying each other's company (hubby and I).

We started off with the soup which was really, really good. I could have had several bowls, but knew there was more food coming! I'm a sucker for bread and olive oil, and this was no disappointment. The large salad bowl arrived (soup and salad were family style all you can eat), and I will say it was OK, but on the bland side for Italian dressing.

Our entrees were spaghetti and meatballs (hubby) and chicken cacciatore. The chef ( the owner ) came out and said "Good news and bad news!" He said the spaghetti was "done" but the cacciatore would take a few more minutes. At first I thought he meant that he no longer had spaghetti, but then realized he was just telling us the food was almost ready. I like that the chef came out, it's always a nice touch that you do not see at the larger, chain restaurants.

Food arrived and they were huge portions! My chicken was wonderful, and somehow I managed to finish darn near all of it. Hubby took some spaghetti in a box to go. During our meal, the chef/owner came out again to check on our meal. I love that!

Dinner was finished off wth sorbet. Nice touch!

We had a few minor quirks during our visit, but all in all this was a welcome visit compared to the many larger restaurants you will find in the Dells. We loved that we were greeted by the owner (wife) and checked on by the husband (chef). It's a cozy place that really welcomes you. We will be back again soon. You can't replace family charm.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

76% Recommend
Madison, WI
“Gone Downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had to come back and review this place again. What a VERY mediocre experience my husband and I had there last Saturday night. We got there around 7 and there were about 3 tables that had patrons. Not busy AT ALL. (Should've been a clue). Anyway, we wanted to have a pre-dinner drink at the bar. The hostess seemed very confused. I had to explain what I meant. "Could we have a drink at the bar and then a table in about 20 minutes?" After she checked with another employee she let us do that. In her defense I will say that it seemed like she was either very new or didn't understand English. There was one lady working there who was doing the work of about five people. She came and made our drinks along with the drinks of another couple who were sitting at the bar. Then she was back to waiting on the tables. On a Saturday night and I only saw two employees and the cook! As we were having our drink a couple sitting at a table in the bar area got up and left without their food...they had waited too long. Once we had our table our food was very mediocre. The only thing that was great was the minestrone soup. The chef came out and talk to us and he is a funny guy but the whole ambience was strange. It felt like they were ridiculously understaffed to serve even the few tables in there. Unfortunately we will not be going back. I had previously put in a five star review for this place and that is why I felt the need to re-review before anyone else spends their money here. I hope I am wrong and that once the summer season comes and their staff is up it will return to being as good as it was before. I hate giving bad reviews.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tomah, Wisconsin
“One of the best recently”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

When we pulled up the place was a bit dark (due to some recent construction) and we almost passed on it. However we are glad we didnt because it was really good. It is a small place with nice atmosphere. Some of the negative reviews may be because some items have been modified to be heart healthy, but they are great tasting. 13 shrimp and brocolli was wonderful. All food we had was great

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Algonquin, Illinois
“A GREAT place to eat--excellent food, nice atmosphere local charm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My mom, sister and I went R Place because we wanted a "local" place with good food--we wanted to stay away from restaurants owned by the large resorts. What a find--the food was excellent-people very friendly and reasonably priced. I have already recommended it to friends who visit the casinos. Would highly recomment

• Visited December 2012
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“best italian food ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This place has really good italian food and the service is great. However, I don't come here often because the menu prices are out of my budget

Visited October 2012