“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness on the Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
You added Wilderness on the Lake to your Saves list
350 E. Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

This is probably the 5th time staying at the Wilderness. We go to the Dells every year and have stayed at the villas and wingate part but this wilderness on the lake was probably the best. Their outside infinity pool was excellent! We have gone different times during the year and if we go in the summer again will definitely stay here. Pros: Wilderness is definitely the biggest water park/resort in the Dells (we've stayed in the other big ones as well). Shuttle service to the other pools/attractions were fast. Rooms were very roomy and clean. What a beautiful view of Lake Delton. Cons: we tried going on the water shuttle or taxi but couldn't. Their sign says they close at 8pm. We got down there at 7:44pm and the driver was packing up. I asked him nicely "are you closing shop?" He said "Yeah we're done." No other explanation whatsoever. Well if you have kids and had their heart set on something you know how it is to break it to them we can't do it anymore. We went to the lobby to get the regular shuttle and I asked the clerk what was the deal with that. She explained that boats aren't allowed to make any wakes after 8 pm. Ok great that explains it- but that somewhat rude driver should've told us that right? And maybe they should change their signs to "close at 7:30 pm. Anyway no big deal- it is a free service, besides dissapointing the kiddies no harm done. We didn't find out until the next morning at breakfast time that we had no forks in the kitchen and called the desk, housekeeping came by with forks about 30 min. later. I had already went to the store and bought plastic ones by the time they came back. oh well. Other than that had a GREAT time!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in a 2 bed. condo. The Room was nice & Big.
I didn't think housekeeping was doing a good job, first night we got there my son told me his bed felt like sand paper, so i checked it out & There Was Sand in His Sheets!!! Really?? I guess they were lo lazy to change the sheets!
Hotel staff not Friendly at All.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Our experience at the Wilderness on the Lake was terrible and costly due to the Wilderness Territories management's lack of customer service. Wilderness on the Lake is part of the Wilderness Territories. The resort was lovely, however, it is not well run. Management does not care about pleasing its guests and there is no follow up with problems.

I booked a 2 night stay. I chose this hotel within the Wilderness Territories for its 4 person jacuzzi in the 4 seasons room, the view overlooking the lake and the roominess of the condo. I have no complaints about the unit we stayed in. It was huge, had 2 fireplaces, was adequately stocked in the kitchen, had 3 separate sitting areas and the view was wonderful. We enjoyed the unit very much. After one day there, the kids were so happy with the resort that we extended our stay an additional night. (I do have a word of advice should you decide to stay here. If you can hold off making your reservation until the last minute, you will get significant savings. I booked a stay for $325 a night. The day before our reservation, the price dropped to $275, however, they would not change the reservation for the better rate. The price I paid for the extended night was $250. If you are at all flexible and don't mind taking a chance, you can get an excellent rate at the last minute.)

The resort itself has enough to do for any family. There are 2 3D black-light indoor mini-golf courses, 1 other inside mini-golf course, 1 18 hole mini-golf outside course, go-karts, zip-lining, laser tag and the 4 indoor water parks and 4 outdoor water parks. They provide complimentary lake tours from the Wilderness on the Lake's dock and they have a sand beach as well. It really is a one-stop resort.

Now for the bad news. Wilderness Territories has absolutely no customer service. I was leery when I read other reviews about the lack of customer service and I should have been. We experienced a multitude of minor problems such as house keeping not speaking English, lifeguards not speaking English, sales staff inadequately trained who could not work the cash register, fax machines guest services couldn't work, and key cards not being programmed to open our doors. Those are minor inconveniences that don't warrant further discussion.

Our big problem occurred while we were on a water slide and had left our things on a poolside table. A lifeguard who was collecting towels chose to pickup my prescription glasses along with the towels on the table. Instead of returning my glasses to the table where other glasses and personal items were, he gave them to some man standing nearby who said he knew where we went. This is the story the lifeguard told me when I returned to the table and could not find my glasses. When I approached him and asked him if he had found a pair of glasses, instead of answering yes, he asked me what they looked like. He finally admitted he had found them and given them to someone instead of putting them back on the table. The lifeguard was extremely unhelpful, was not sympathetic that I couldn't see anything and pretty much dismissed any questions I had regarding where my glasses went. He actually walked away from me instead of trying to help. After somehow finding my way to the Lost and Found, I reported the incident and even though I didn't know the name of the lifeguard, the supervisor quickly figured out who it was. The Lost and Found manager couldn't get hold of either Resort Manager on Call. I took their numbers down and called them repeatedly, left messages and failed to hear back from them that night. The next day, my son had to drive me to Madison to have a pair of glasses made. We lost a whole day of using the facilities because I couldn't see and I had to leave to get a pair of glasses in Madison. When I finally got hold of the Resort Manager, she conferred with her staff and called me back to offer $100 credit and 4 "fun" passes. She said the resort did not compensate people for lost items in the pool area. When I pointed out the glasses were not lost but taken by an employee of theirs and given away, she said that management felt it had been an "honest mistake" by the employee and no further compensation would be given. They also "punished" the employee by making him go home early. She would not budge on further compensation. She did not even apologize for the incident.

The Wilderness Territory manager was not sympathetic that I could not see for over 24 hours, that I lost use of the facility that was costing me $325 a night and that I had to pay over $370 for new glasses that were not a nice as my previous pair as they had to be made in less than 2 hours.

If you choose to stay at the Wilderness Territories in the Wisconsin Dells, do so knowing that they will not help you should something happen. If all goes well, you will have a lovely vacation. If there is the slightest blip and you need customer service, don't go to the Wilderness Territories.

Ansonia, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Nice condo great view of lake. Tips cups were everywhere. Long wait of use of grills. Our fault we left behind medcial equipment. We called right away took awhile to find someone that woul help. Houskeeping had to have seen the case it was in and did not turn it in. Ruin whole trip. Next time We will go to Mount Olympus. c Stoltz

Stillwater, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

My husband and I visited wilderness territory with our children ages 4yrs and 8 months. The experience we had was one that I have to share. Hopefully the readers can learn from our mistakes.
First the good; The hotel has great parks that had something for all ages. You can pre-register and use the parks before the 4pm check-in time and they will call or text you when your room is ready. Then you can use the parks after check-out as long as you are out of your room by 11. They have showers and locker rooms that allow for changing when it is time to go home. The rooms had great beds and the pillows were soft and plush. There was a refridgerator in our room (not sure about all rooms though) That was good for having cereal and milk in the morning so we didn't have to pay for breakfast (they do not have a complimentary breakfast).
Now for the bad; The hotel has a policy that food cannot be brought into the parks. I understood this but I have an infant that cannot eat regular food yet. I asked if I can bring jarred baby food in and the answer was no. So, either I ignore this rule (which I didn't want to do) or we leave the parks so I can feed the baby. This hotel is huge and some of the parks were a 10 min walk back to our room. I risked it and brought the food in. Now for the restuarant food; If you decide to come here DO NOT be dupped by the kids eat free restuarant. I think the name is the wild canyon cafe. 20 dollars for an adult to eat and the food was inedible! Unless you love fried, processed foods, canned fruit and a non-existent vegetable choice. The food made my daughter sick and I couldn't eat it.
65$ and still hungry. The same was true for most places to eat...prices way too high and nothing healthy. The only place we liked was Survivors restuarant at the water-dome. Food was good, but we didn't order off the menu, they had a special wrap with turkey, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce and chipotle mayo. Yummy! It was the only time during our 3 days that I was able to finish my meal.
The staff was also a problem...we had to ask numerous people the same question before we would get a correct answer. Most said "I don't know" When we checked in the girl saw we had two small children...did she tell us about the water park that is for kids 7 and under only? No. We found that out on our own the last day. Plus, they never directed us to our room. Even crappy motels show you the way to your room.
I hope this helps! If I was to do it again, we would rent a cabin and buy groceries so we could cook meals. And take someone who had been there before so we didn't waste so much time trying to find things.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

All in all it was a good trip however, we stayed in condo 401, and when we opened the door to the "4 seasons" room, the stench of mold and mildew was overwelming. Several of my family members were actually sick to their stomachs and dry heaving.

When I told Ryan the mgr. about the room, he gave us air freshner! Air freshner for a mold problem. Ryan then said that they went in and "changed out the air with a machine", which mildly covered up the smell for about 2 hours. The stench then came back. This is beyond uncomfortable. The stench was so bad it constiuted a health hazard and my next call will be to their corporate office and the Wisc. health dept.

When I told Ryan it still was not good, he told me, "I don't smell anything", (as if he would admit it), then took off 75$ dollars off of the bill. This was equivelent to a harsh slap in the face, for a gut wrenching, terribly uncomfortable stay. We could not use the room, and had to lock ourselves in the rest of the condo.

They were overbooked and could not move us to another condo. We also stayed with small children whom I felt were at a health risk.

Other than the overwelming lack of acknowledgment for the problem, the facility was ok.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We chose the Wilderness on the Lake as our lodging based on the fact that it has the largest rooms of all Wilderness properties-- we traveled with our four children and my parents, so we wanted room to spread out. We rented the 3 bedroom condo w/ loft. It fit our needs and then some! The 3 bedroom unit is HUGE-- it felt like a house. The upstairs loft was very spacious and was the perfect place for the kids-- they had their own TV and could configure the sleeping arrangements differently every night. My parents took the master suite-- king bed and private full bath (which had a HUGE walk-in shower with two shower heads!) and my wife & I took the 2 queen beds bedroom. There was a full kitchen with everything we needed as well as a spacious family room and attached "lanai" that had a sitting area and jacuzzi tub. I would agree with other reviews that you sort of have to seek out the maid service if you need something, but all of our requests were handled promptly.

We made use of the gas grills just outside of the property which was a piece of cake. They had grilling tools connected to the grills so all I needed to do was walk down with our food.

The staff here is SO friendly and the entire Wilderness compound was extremely clean and inviting. This was our first time to the Dells, but I would venture that it's the nicest property that the Dells has to offer.

The shuttles were great-- the drivers were friendly and the longest we ever had to wait was 15 minutes. I think if we go next year (without the grandparents) we'll stay at the Wilderness Resort proper-- as 4 of the 6 waterparks are at that location and we'd spend a lot less time on the shuttles.

We never had a need to leave the resort, but did take a jaunt to "downtown Dells"-- the main drag. It felt like the Vegas Strip for kids! Pretty cool. There's also a brand new Super Walmart just a couple minutes away that came in very handy.

Book at any of the Wilderness properties with confidence! You'll have a GREAT trip!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness on the Lake? Share your experiences!