“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness on the Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
You added Wilderness on the Lake to your Saves list
350 E. Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Not sure how people complain about this place. Sometimes it makes me wonder what people are use to. This place was fantastic. Very large and clean condo! Absolutely loved the lanai! The kids often played or watched TV in there and one shut of the patio door and we couldn't hear them. We were in room 208, perfect lake view and away from any noise. The front desk was helpful when we needed them but again not sure what people are use to as we often didn't need. My children and I loved the infinity pool. We went to several of the wilderness water parks and the infinity pool was still their favorite. We especially loved the pool at night as it was so quiet and beautiful with the lights! Being on the lake was well worth any extra cost to us. Loved the sandy beach front the resort has and the kids loved fishing off the resort docks! The ducks will eat bread out of your hands another favorite for the kids! The Wilderness is very great with their shuttles. They are all over and easy to use. The water taxi is a must! Only negatives and they aren't anything to make me write a bad review are they do need new bedding as they are looking thin and worn and soon some of the mattresses could use replacing although still comfortable yet . The TV's in the bedrooms should really be flat screen like the rest of the condo. Perfect get away and we all can't wait to go back! We had a couple guests come visit and they all agreed how wonderful the place was!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
WI, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I brought my 15 year old daughter and her 3 friends to this resort Aug. 18th-Aug 21st. The girls were amazed at the size when they walked in. I had read about how it is outdated and I guess that is somewhat the case but more than that it is just decorated in a rustic theme. The furniture was plenty comfortable and we had no problem with the beds. We did have an obstructed view which I was disappointed in but soon came to realize it was a good thing because it was very quiet and no one was running up and down any halls. We used the wireless each day and had no issues. I purchased eggs & milk from the resort store for a very fair price. The food at the actual water parks was way over priced as was expected. The girls used both the shuttle and boat didn't have to wait long for either. The room temp was just fine and the bedrooms had ceiling fans which helped a lot. I really enjoyed the infinity pool. Looking out from the pool over the lake was great and it had little alcoves where it would be 5 feet deep and it was fun to hang out in. One quirky item-the hotel towels left towel lint all over us when we dried off. I am not sure if they were new or what but it was kinda gross.

ITEMS You May Want To Bring:

Paper Towels
Tissues
Laundry detergent
Shampoo/Conditioner (If you want more than the all-in-one the hotel provides)
DVD's
Pillow unless you like yours high and puffy (leaves neck in an awkward position)
Coffee filters if you bring your own coffee (ones included come pre-packaged in a filter)
Ice Cube Tray (if you don't want to run to the ice machine all the time)

Overall, a great vacation and way more than enough to impress 15 year olds LOL!

Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

First time guest. Enjoyed the indoor and outdoor water parks; water taxi to and from water parks; and buses between water parks.We stayed in the two bedroom condo, which was very large for four adults and three children under seven. We stayed on the first floor,with our own patio, which included an infinity pool, and children's pool. Food and drinks are very expensive in the resort. Next time, we will bring snacks and eat outside the parks. Overall, an enjoyable time.

• Stayed August 2013
Waterloo, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a pretty neat place to stay. The girls said it was beautiful with the lake right off the pool and view of the hills, trees, and wildlife (ducks). Golf course was decent for the price and attitude of the proshop. I play a lot, and have played a lot of different courses. You really feel like just another wallet in the Wild Rock Golf Course club house. However it is a good course. If you want to just relax, have a beer, be social, and play some golf, then maybe it’s not worth the price.

I rated service Very Good because the staff was all very nice, concerned, and clean appearance. They were friendly, but professional and seemed like they appreciated the work they were doing.

The value was also very good. We stayed in a really comfortable room that included waterpark passes to the Wilderness. There was plenty of stuff for the entire family to do. I rated the overall value at Average, since I felt like they gouge you for the cost of average food and drinks at the Wilderness Waterpark.

Sleep Quality was great. Beds were comfortable and clean. Ceiling fans helped regulate temp.

Cleanliness: The room was very clean except the floor area around the kitchen. We noticed the floor was sticky here. In their defense... This would be difficult for room service to notice since we only realized while walking barefoot through the area.

Location: I liked the location but it was a really nice place on the lake. Kind of felt like you were out away from the busy tourist area while you were at your condo. However, just outside the parking lot the busy tourist area starts! Not necessarily a good or bad thing. Note the Wilderness on the Lake properties are not located on the Wilderness Waterpark grounds. You need to either take a ferry across the lake then a short shuttle ride to your park of choice or drive through part of town and park on the grounds.

Rooms: I thought the rooms were great. We shared a large condo with another family. Our families are really good friends so even with four adults, and four kids under ten we all felt really comfortable. Two bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen, living room, and a bonus room with a fire place and additional flat screen TV. Ceiling fans in most rooms work great!

Restaurants: I didn’t particularly like the food at the Wilderness waterpark resort. I would have gone off resort for every meal that we didn’t prepare ourselves, but the rest of the family didn’t mind the food and preferred the convenience. The dad in the other family staying with us agreed. I’m kind of a picky eater and cringe at the unexpected texture or taste. Everyone else thought the food was pretty decent so I rated Restaurants: Average. That rating would be very good if it only rate Field’s Steak House and Sarento’s pizza. Both places are really good!

I didn’t rate room service, since it’s a condo we didn’t have much for room service but they did bring in clean towels daily!

Room Tip: I tried to get a pool side room, but they don’t have any rooms with that feature. Have to drive ab...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just came back from a weekend getaway at WOTL and I must say we all had a great time. Our group of 4 adults and 5 kids stayed in one of the 2 bedroom condos and there was more than enough room. We arrived in the evening and check in was smooth with no issues and upon entering the condo was pleasantly surprised by the space and how nice it was. The full kitchen definitely came in handy as we were able to cook meals whenever we were hungry and housekeeping was nice enough to bring us extra towels and picked up our garbage daily. The water park in the hotel was great for the little ones however we enjoyed taking the water taxi to the main hotel and enjoyed the waterparks there. There was minimal wait time for both the water taxi and the shuttle and the staff was also kind enough to take our group to the waterpark on their golf carts. All of us enjoyed our stay for the weekend and wished it could have been longer. We plan to come back next year and stay at WOTL again.

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

this place has it all, multiple indoor and outdoor water parks with plenty of rides to choose from, restaurants, arcades, zip lines. almost too much to pick from! definitely family friendly and worth the price.

• Stayed August 2013
Osceola, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We visited the WOTL the week of Aug 18th. We were impressed with the quick and easy check-in, compared to the lengthy check-ins we've experienced at other waterpark hotels. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo, which was perfect for our family of 5. I absolutely LOVED the spaciousness! The full kitchen was great! Considering it cost about $60-$70 per meal to eat out, having a kitchen to use saved us a great deal of money. We ate 2/3 meals in the room.

The waterpark on the lake was smaller, but was perfect for our 3 little boys. They especially loved the infinity pool and whirlpool outside. The view of the lake was gorgeous in the 3 season room, so make sure you ask for a room with a lake view. We chose to drive to the other Wilderness waterparks, but there were water taxis available that left about every 15 minutes if we didn't want to drive. There were also shuttle buses available. We thought it was easier to drive so we didn't have to wait around, but it was nice that these options were available. The other waterparks on the campus were great! We spent 5 out of 6 days doing activities and playing at these parks. The lifeguards were very friendly, especially when compared to the rude, bored, life guards we experienced at Noah's Ark. Save yourself some money, and don't even bother going to Noah's Ark.
I also noticed that some of the other reviews gave the front desk staff negative reviews. We had a great experience with them, no problems at all.
Also, these condos are privately owned, and it is posted in the kitchen that they are not cleaned everyday, unless you specifically ask for it. That was ok with us. There was a vacuum cleaner, broom and dust pan.... we could handle it ourselves for a few days. They did come by every morning and take out our trash and replace our towels.
The other thing that I appreciated was the washer and dryer in our room. With 3 boys, things get dirty, this was a great help!
The only negative comment I would make would be about the "information desk". The information desk people are employed by Wyndam Hotels, and will try to sell you a time share located on the property. When you check in, you're given a sheet that tells you to stop at the information desk (which is different than the check-in desk) to pick up your free coupon book. We got lost on the campus (it's that big) and stopped at the information desk at one of the other Wilderness hotels. We asked the gentleman where a specific waterpark was. My entire family was standing there, with our bathing suits on, my 3 year old was crying and just wanted to go swimming. Anyway, the guy pulled out a map, showed us some of the waterparks available, then proceeded to go into his sales pitch about the time shares. We were OBVIOUSLY not good prospects, a family with their bathing suits on, standing in a hotel lobby, lost, with a crying child......but that didn't stop him. As soon as he started with, "Normally, we charge $50 to let you even step foot in one of these, but for today only, I'll give you a $100 preloaded American Express card just to go take a look." I told him we weren't interested. He was rude and arrogant, and asked, "Why aren't you interested?" three times!!!! I finally said, "I'm not interested, just hand me the map and the coupon book, I'm leaving!" So.....steer clear of the "information desk" and just ask the front desk staff if you get lost. The free coupon book isn't worth your time. We never even used it.
So, with the exception of the information desk episode, our stay was amazing. Our boys had a great time, and didn't want to leave. We will definitely be back again!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness on the Lake? Share your experiences!