“Always fun! But a few ideas...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness on the Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
You added Wilderness on the Lake to your Saves list
350 E. Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
WI
“Always fun! But a few ideas...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a very clean cabin. Very pleased. Went with two other couples and kids ages 12-17. Went the day after Easter. Place was packed as we fully expected. BUT we could not enjoy any hottub. They were jam packed with little kids using this as a pool. Parents need to take responsibility for their kids but there should be staff monitoring this as well. We did do some fun slides with the kids; but lets face it. Teens want to be with friends. It would be great to see an adult only or even ages 14 and up hot tubs. There was no where for us adults to go and relax without watching dirty diaper changes and getting kicked and splashed in a hot tub.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This place was just spotless. The room was huge. It was a little on the expensive side because of the spring break weekend but it was completely worth it. We did deal with an annoying neighbor complaining about to much noise and we were waking up their kids ...please, we had kids sleeping in our room too they were fine. Everything is far in the resort so prepare to walk. I stayed in the carribean resort which was garbage compaird to the wilderness. I will be coming back again for sure.

• Stayed March 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My overall opinion of this property is that it is impressive. Seems well run, and it is massive. I can't imagine how many people they must employ. They offer great spring-break weekday deals which is what brought us to Wisconsin Dells this time.

We arrived around 11:15 AM on a Monday for our two-night stay. Check-in is at 4:00, but you may begin using the waterpark at 11:00 on the day of your arrival. Fortunately our room was ready so we were able to move-in right away. The staff was friendly and efficient.

Following the advice of other TA reviewers, I asked for and received a room on the top floor. I usually do this anyway because I don't want to risk having stomping upstairs neighbors, but here if you're on the second floor, you will have a constant stream of traffic outside your door during the day because this is the main floor to access all the waterparks. When people are talking in the hallway, you can hear it pretty easily through the door.

The room was okay for what it was. It's not supposed to be The Ritz, and would NOT be good for a romantic getaway for couples. It is very family-friendly though. We booked a Double Queen Suite with a wet-bar. The room was nice and clean. The beds were passable and the couch in the sitting area was somewhat comfortable. We wanted the wet-bar because we packed our own food and figured it would be helpful to have the bar and sink; it was (made shredded beef in a crockpot and plugged it in on the bar. That worked great and was easy to serve on buns). The fridge in the room was pretty good-sized. I easily fit a case of pop, 12-pack of beer, a couple gallon jugs and handful of medium-sized containers without too much trouble.

I'm glad we packed our food because the restaurants were pretty expensive. Margarita's, for example were $9.00! We did enjoy some 2-for-1 drinks during the 2-4 PM happy-hour at Survivor's Bar and Grill by the Wild Waterdome.

We had a room with a door to an adjoining room. We could easily hear it when our neighbors arrived. I don't know about the walls, but the doors were not well soundproofed. I wore earplugs at night. One night I fell asleep without them and was awakened at 1:45 AM by loud talking in the hallway. It was very cold overnight while we were there with lows in the single-digits farenheit. I kept my crock-pot on the balcony overnight to save fridge and cooler space. When I woke in the morning and pulled the thick, heavy curtains back, the sliding patio door (being isolated from the heat in the room) was frozen shut. I called guest services and had a maintenance man there within ten minutes. The patio door was opened within five minutes.

The waterparks here are the real stars of the place. There are three indoor waterparks with differing themes and activities. We enjoyed all three. You will walk A LOT going from park to park, so keep that in mind if that might be a problem for you, but we did not mind at all.

In my opinion, the best ride here is The Hurricane in Klondike Kavern. This may be the most thrilling water-ride I have ever been on. It is a four-person raft ride. The more weight you have on the raft, the more thrilling it will be. After a slowly accelerating journey through a twisting tunnel, you come to a sudden steep drop into something like a sideways funnel. You slide in and then up the opposite wall seemingly about three stories high going a bit PAST vertical! I was not expecting that; what a rush! We had about 450 lbs on our raft. We went on this ride twice; on the second day (a Tuesday), there was a problem with the raft conveyor and it took about 40 minutes to get on the ride.

I would definitely stay here again if the price was right. If your expectations are reasonable, you should be satisfied with your stay.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Our family of 7 stayed at the wilderness on the lake in mid feb. from Sunday to Thursday. Everything was lovely. We rented the 2 bedroom with the loft condo. The main resort isn't far from the wilderness on the lake at all, I believe less than 5 minutes. The staff was very welcoming when we arrived. The only thing they forgot to give us was our fun passes, but as soon as we noticed they weren't in our packages they fixed it. We also purchased the Monty gift sets for the four of our children, which they set up in our rooms prior to arrival. The Monty backpack came in handy when we went to the arcades and for their fun passes. The only problem was figuring out lunch because we didn't stay at the wilderness territory, it was a bit of a hassle feeding everyone. The pool at the wilderness on the lake was really nice, but a lot of chlorine was in the water to the point you could smell it, but it was still pretty fun for our first night there. We will definitely come back next year. I really suggest everyone to try and go in the off season because we didn't wait for any of the slides and it wasn't packed at all we had parking right next to the doors everyday we were there. Our garbage compactor broke the last night we were there, but they sent the workers up to the room right away and they even brought extra towels because it was leaking. They also called to see how we we enjoying our room, and they also called to say thanks for staying. The property is beautiful with the views of lake Delton.

Room Tip: Don't book during the peek times, go in the off season, and you will truly enjoy yourself. Walm...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed on Wilderness on the Lake and loved our room and the beautiful view. The room we stayed in was a 2 bedroom condo with a 4 season room with a view of the lake. It also had a kitchen so we were able to bring food and I brought a crock pot, that way when we came home that evening our meal was ready. The Wilderness resort is a very big resort, so plan to do some walking. They do offer shuttle service from water park to water park and to Wilderness on the lake. They do have a lot of actives to do. Wilderness on the lake offers a small water park but our kids were older and liked the big more exciting rides the other water parks the Wilderness had but it did have a whirlpool that was indoor and outdoor, which was neat. We will plan to come again.

Room Tip: If you want quiet and not as busy stay at Wilderness on the lake. If you want to stay where the wat...
Owatonna, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was very hesitant to stay after researching and reading the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Our extended family stayed a weekend in early March 2013 in room 402 that was a 3 bedroom condo w/ loft. There was 15 of us which included one little one and it great! Every bed and sofa sleeper was used but it was nice to be able to have all of us together.

We arrived a few hours early and the hotel was accommodating and we got into our room right away. We had issues with our dish washer and the staff sent someone up right away with an easy fix. Other than that, there was no need to interact with the hotel staff but always seemed friendly. We did go to the larger waterparks on Saturday and it was crowded but everything went smooth and there weren't any issues. Also, the shuttles were very prompt and we only waited for a short time for them to arrive.

The room was great and had everything we needed including a large front hall closet (It was winter and everyone had coats, boots, etc. so it was great to have a place to put them), washer and dryer, FULL kitchen and even a room that the men used as a "man cave". We made every meal and chose not to eat out. We spent most of our time at the hotel and the pool was great for all ages. The adults loved the outdoor hot tub/spa and the pool had enough to entertain the 8+ kids.

The one thing that I am the most impressed with was the noise. We were a very large group and I am sure made a lot of noise! After speaking with the neighbors we realized they couldn't hear us and we couldn't hear them nor anyone else. It put my mind at ease because we didn't want to have to whisper all the time and always ask the kids to be quiet.
*Suggestions*
*Stay in a condo if there is more than 5 of you. It's worth the room and you can save a lot by making meals and not eating out.
*Don't forget paper towels and napkins- There is a Walmart near but it was a madhouse and it was out of a lot of stuff.
* Bring our own Beach towels- I read the reviews before and we chose to bring our own beach towels and never had to deal with their "Pool Towel Policy"
*Bring sandals to walk to the pools even if you are going to the main resort. (of course, this is what I forgot!)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My family and I stayed 3 nights in Feb. What a wonderful waterpark! Clean, well maintained and their bus runs every 10-15minutes to the other indoor waterparks at the wilderness. It was great to have a full kitchen that we were able to cook dinner and enjoy family time in our condo. The price was perfect and we were able to have a few friends stop in and visit within the unit. This is a must see waterpark if you have not stayed here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness on the Lake? Share your experiences!