“Reserve a Cabana!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness on the Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
You added Wilderness on the Lake to your Saves list
350 E. Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #10 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Andover, MN
“Reserve a Cabana!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

On this vacation weekend get away we visited in late June to celebrate our Anniversary. A water park you ask? How romantic can that be? The best thing we did right away, was to reserve a cabana. The extra cost for this was worth it. The cabana provides more than just a shady place to keep our belongings for the day. It was like having a base camp of operations. There is a TV inside, small refrigerator, plenty of extra large towels, comfy furniture, table to eat at and 2 lounge chairs with misting sprayers to keep things cool. It's roped off and frequently visited by the staff. We did a lot of lazy river floating and yes, holding hands can be very romantic. We even braved some of the younger peoples attractions, the wave pool and water slides. It was a splash blast and made us feel young. If it rains, there a ark indoor for the kids mostly.

Room Tip: Try the Spa, it's isolated luxury with a food and beverages. You can stay over night there as w...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We've stayed here before at the hotel with all the loud craziness. This was a quieter alternative with fantastic rooms for our 3 night stay. Our 2 families stayed in the 2 bedroom suite with the kitchen and 4 person Jacuzzi. The rooms were extrememly clean and quite roomy for the 7 of us. Every day the kids would come back to the room for lunch or dinner and would eat while soaking in the Jacuzzi before we went back to the waterparks. When you need a break from the waterparks, there are endless extra activities on the property like ZipLines, High Ropes, lazer tag, mini golf and Bumper Boats. The dads were surprised at how much fun the bumper boats were and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We have stayed here a few times in the past. I like that it is part of Wilderness Complex, yet this hotel is away from maddness of main complex. Rooms are nice. Could sleep 10 in room with no problem. Has a full kitchen. Would highly recommend WOTL.

• Stayed March 2012
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised about the size of the 2 bedroom suite. We were 2 families with 3 kids, the two older ones got to sleep on the pullout in the living room, while the little one slept in the double room with her parents. The view of the lake from our lanai was beautiful, the kids enjoyed the jacuzzi tub to "swim" in. We didn't hear a sound from the next door neighbors, but the upstairs neighbors could have treaded a little lighter, I think people forget that their kids jumping and running can be heard below. So if that bothers you get a room on the top floor. Having a washer/dryer was nice to dry the towels at the end of the day. The pool area was great for the kids, they could run and play without any worries. The shuttle comes about every 10-15 minutes, this is when the resort was completely sold out, with kind and helpful drivers. We will definitely return to Wilderness on the Lake!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor if you don't like foot step noise above you.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hudson, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My kids had fun and I guess in the end that's what really matters. I think all my business travel has made me into a bit of a travel snob. I get to stay in places like Atlantis and JW Marriott Resorts and beautiful Hyatt hotels. The Wilderness was a bit of a let down for me personally, but my kids were happy little campers. They were never bored and getting them to sleep was at the end of the day was a piece of cake. I did enjoy the arcade games, the 3D mini golf and my first game of Laser Tag was a blast. The room was "ok" but again...my standards are a little out of whack. We had dinner at some Italian place to which we were shuttled to and it was not impressive. It made the Olive Garden seem like five star dining. We spent some time in Polka Dot pots painting pottery which was a really fun experience with my daughers, but very expensive. My biggest disappointment was our last day. We stopped into one of the sports bars for a bite before heading home. I ordered a fruity drink off the menu and when it arrived was pleased with the appearance or taste. My waiter was no where to be found so I approached the bartender to return the beverage and request something different. Unfortunately, this particular guy was not really into customer service and was very rude and basically humiliated me for not liking this cocktail. I did let the management at the Wilderness know about his rude behavior, and I did not want nor expect anything in return. I just wanted them to be aware of how this employee treated a customer. They did a very nice job of handling my phone call and even sent a letter of apology. I probably won't ever return to the Wilderness, but again, it's just not my kind of thing. But, don't let me stop you. There is a ton to do. I would recommend buying the coupon book and doing the arcade, laser tag, golf and haunted house. We did make the best of it and our girls had a blast and would go back in a second.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My family had the best time here. Lots to do on the property and close to lots of thing not on the property. Our room was amazing and very clean. its kinda far from were we live but this resort make you want to come back all the time anyways. Cant wait to see you again Wilderness.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We went here Super Bowl weekend for a quick getaway. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchenette. It was great. Most of the area was in hibernation due to the off season, so having a kitchen helped save on the long waits at the few places open to eat at. We purchased breakfast items so we didnt have to leave. The splash area at the Wilderness on the Lake is great for the smaller kids. The area is not overwelming and they can't go far. The pool was big enough for a few hours for the little bigger kids to shoot baskets and walk across the lily pads. Mom and dad can enjoy the hot tub that extends to the outside. The kids got a kick out of being outside yet being in the hot water. Hot tub not for under the age of 6 though. We saw lifeguards telling parents to remove their kids if they were not old enough. Now if they would only control the kids who treat the hot tub like a swimming pool. The rooms were clean including the bathrooms. I wish they would supply at least some paper towel in the kitchen when you first arrive. We had a spill and had nothing to clean is up with. Next time I will make sure to bring a bag of supplies. The rooms were spaced far enough apart so you didnt hear the noise from the other room which is nice because we were staying with another family who had young kids who needed to nap. The shuttles were great except you had to wait a little longer for a shuttle to the lake but we were in no rush to go anywhere special. They have a new rope climbing village that the kids liked at the main hotel. You get a half hour to climb but you're probably in line that long so plan accordingly. The arcade is just a money pit with junk for prizes. Avoid if you can. We had a great time and will defiinitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the lake. It's beautiful esp. if its snowing. The view of the outd...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness on the Lake? Share your experiences!