“Great Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness on the Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
You added Wilderness on the Lake to your Saves list
350 E. Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #10 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Evansville, Indiana, United States
“Great Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

It was a hot summer day, and my excitement grew as I waited my turn for the biggest water ride at the Wilderness Waterpark. With the first drop of the slide, my blood pressure rose and I was loving every twist and turn. The Wilderness Waterpark is located in the Wisconsin Dells and is a perfect vacation spot for families at all times of the year. The villas were very functional and had lots of space, had many options for my family to do, and was clean and well maintained. It offered many great attractions throughout the 600 acres of Wilderness Territory.
The resort offers many vacation arrangements and packages to fit any family. For example, you can choose to stay in the hotel section or at the villas on the lakefront. My family vacationed there last summer and stayed in the villas which are a defining feature for the resort. I liked the cabin style design. It had two levels and provided plenty of space for us to relax and enjoy the trip. The upstairs had a bedroom and overlooked the downstairs. A full kitchen was very useful, so we did not have to eat out for every meal. On the main level there was a master bedroom, along with two other bedrooms and large living room area. The view was wonderful overlooking the lake and forest.
The Wilderness also had a nice setup outside. Another great feature the resort offered was the infinity pool. It was so nice to come outside to enjoy the pool and hot tub. It also had a kiddy pool, as well as an indoor water park for children. This was a perfect setup for my family because I have two younger nieces who also loved playing in the sand beach down by the lake. An area was set aside with grills for families to cook out and relax on the waterside. The Wilderness offers more activities like an indoor 3-D mini golf course and 3 mega arcades. You never run out of things to do. The Wilderness has many other interesting things to do within close driving distance, like Ripley’s Believe It or Not museum and the Original Duck Tours.
The Wilderness Territory includes 500,000 square feet of clean, well-maintained indoor and outdoor water parks. This is by far the highlight of the trip. It is convenient that a ferry is used to transport vacationers across the lake to the water park. It is broken up into Lost World, Lake Wilderness, New Frontier, and Cubby’s Cove, which are all outside waterparks. On rainy days or in the colder months you can visit the Wild Waterdome, Klondike Kavern, Wild West, and Cubby’s Cove. With eight different parks, there are plenty of slides to go down. I was impressed with all the space to lay out by the pools, as well as the lazy river. It was perfect for relaxing and getting a tan. Two of my favorite rides were the Black Hole and The Hurricane. There were lots of other slides as well. Some were straight drops, and others had curves and turns. I think they were all worth trying. In the past when I visited other water parks, the wait was extremely long, but I thought they kept the lines moving quickly. My longest wait was only around fifteen minutes. Another thing I thought was impressive was the cleanliness of the park and the friendly workers.
The Wilderness Territory was a fantastic vacation spot for my family and I because it offered a fun, yet relaxing get away. The villas were the perfect size and the cabin style was a fun atmosphere. If you visit the Dells you won’t run out of things to do and will create memories that will last forever!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The condos here are a shuttle ride away from the test of the Wilderness water parks. The Cubbies Cove water park is on site and perfect for little ones. It is also less busy than the other paks because it is a little ride away. The rooms are a home away from home with all the space you need to be organized and for the kids to spread out to play. Our children are 6, 3, and 10 months. There is a crib provided also, which is a nice plus.
If there is any negative I would say that check in was crazy. I was under the impression that you could check in on the main grounds but you have to go to the Wilderness on the Lake on Hiawatha drive.

• Stayed January 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Perfect accommodations for a girls night or family/friend getaway! So impressed by how large the condos were and how much space we had! 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, big kitchen with full fridge, oven, dishwasher, good sized living room with fireplace and blu ray and also a large 4 seasons porch with fireplace, tv and jacuzzi tub. It is a jacuzzi tub that could comfortably fit two adults, so be aware as the website says it's a 4 person tub! :) Convenient shuttle service to the water parks and very sound proof room - we couldn't hear any noise around us! Will definitely be back with kids and family!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Antioch, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Went back to Wilderness On The Lake due to past fabulous experiences. Having stayed at many other Dells resorts, this one is our family favorite. I pre-booked an overnight 2 bedroom condo via phone &
got confirmation on room of my choice with a lake view. Arriving Sunday afternoon, we were told room was ready & keycards were issued. Taking elevator up to our floor, we proceeded towards our room. As we approached our destination, we all noticed a foul odor. Upon opening our door, the stench was overwhelming. We instantly felt nauseated from what smelled like something had died & was rotting inside that room. Also, I saw that this room was different from the one I booked. Agreeing room was unacceptable, we all went back to lobby and requested the correct room I had prior confirmation for. Desk clerk said she was sorry that room was not available. I reminded her I had prior confirmation for a lake view room; she replied there were none and wanted us to wait until someone would clean same room, expecting us to stay in it.
I restated that room was unacceptable. Eventually, after a long wait (more than an hour had passed since we 'checked in'), she provided keys for a similar room. This room did not have a lake view but was clean & did not have the stinking stench of the earlier room. We stayed and tried to enjoy the remainder of our stay. Due to finally getting into a room so late, they did give us an extra hour to to check out the following day.

Room Tip: although we had prior confirmation for a specific room, we did not get it. The room we were given i...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We took a trip to Wisconsin Dells for the first time last June with our 3 children. We absolutely loved the 2 br condo at the Wilderness on the Lake resort. It was very spacious and had everything we needed for our stay. The hot tub was a plus...loved the 2 fireplaces, but we obviously did not use them in June. It was nice to have a washer/dryer in the room with our size family. We had a great view of the pool and lake. Staff was very friendly in assisting us. The kids liked the indoor waterpark there...it is small, but fun while staying there. We also liked the fact that it wasn't too crowded like other resorts at the Wilderness because it was away from all the other waterparks. We are definitely planning another trip this coming summer 2012. We went in mid-June last year and it was still chilly on days we were there, so if you like it hot, I would suggest going a little later in the summer.

Room Tip: Third floor seemed to have a really great view of the lake.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
rockford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

we stay in the Dells a couple times per year. it is fantastic for the family. We enjoy either Wilderness or Kalahari. Wilderness is more reasonably priced. This last time we were there four days and the first couple were off season. When we checked prices it was a lot less than Kalahari. I would recommend any of their facilities.

Room Tip: good off season rates.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Zion, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed one night at The Wilderness in Wisconsin Dells in the hotel. This was our first visit and we stayed for my daughters birthday along with a few of her friends. The check in was confusing and we had to wait in line. Depending upon where you stay on the property there is apparently different check in spots but I was not aware and went to the first place we saw. Had we known and went straight to the hotel we were staying in it would have been quicker. There are three inside waterpark areas and our room was close to two of them with the third being accessible via the 2nd floor halls that connect most of the property. There are also 2 glow in the dark 3d mini golf courses, a big fun play area, two arcades, laser tag, bumper boats and a haunted mansion/maze. The hotel is cashless and we were even able to order pizza from a local pizzeria and charge it to our room. Our room was nice and the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness on the Lake? Share your experiences!