“Incompetent” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Top Hat Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wisconsin Dells
Top Hat Motel
812 River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Anal, Sonsonate, El Salvador
“Incompetent”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We decided spur of the moment to go to wisconsin dells for labor day but all of top choices for hotels were booked up, as a shot in the dark my friend calls top hat motel to see if there are any rooms open and they say they do, so my friend books the room and we proceed to drive from chicago to the dells. An hour before we arrive the motel calls my friend to ask if we still want the room and we tell them that yes, infact we do still want the room and that we'll be there in an hour. We arrive to find all the lights off and after ringing the doorbell for a few minutes a teenager comes out and says "we gave the room away" no apology, no explanation, just that statement. My friend says "are you joking? who are you" and he says "no, i'm managing the place tonight, we gave the room away" my friend tells him that he had just gotten a call an hour ago to confirm the stay and he says "that was my brothers fiance" as if that completely discounts the interaction my friend counters with "I gave you my credit card number, I booked it, we just drove 3 hours what are we supposed to do" and the kid says "not my problem, we didnt charge the card, find another hotel" and after my friend responds with "are you kidding me" the kid replies with "what do you want me to do? you want me to call the cops?" AS IF WE'RE THE ONES THAT DID SOMETHING WRONG! We luckily ended up finding a different hotel but this was completely unacceptable behaviour.

Room Tip: dont use this place
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

5 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My fiancé and I were on a pontoon boat all day down the road. Had drinks all day in the sun and came across this motel in the evening on the 4th of July. The owner hooked us up with a 2nd floor room facing where the fireworks were shooting off. It was perfect. We sat outside on the deck area and sipped on wine and watched the show. Would stay again if we find ourselves in the same situation in the future

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a 2nd floor room facing downtown
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night and checked out the following morning. I get a call on Tuesday morning that they finally got around to cleaning the room, and we're being charged $180.00 for a broken door and door jam. The door was fine when we left on Sunday morning! Their policy is to clean a day or two after checkout because it's the off season. Believe me, legal action is being taken. We will NOT pay for a door we didn't break! The owner was very disrespectful on the phone with me. We will NEVER stay here again!

Stayed March 2013
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The outside of the building looks a little shady, but the rooms are actually kept up well and very clean. The location is great, right in the downtown area and the rates are very reasonable. The staff was not very welcoming or friendly. Maybe it was just the day or the lady was in a bad mood, but she made me uncomfortable and was very rude. Also out of the 3 rooms my friends and I had, there was no hot water for a shower. After talking with her, she told us basically we were out of luck because it was probably just because other people were showering. Although, after my friend complained and talked to the manager, one of the rooms was refunded. Would I stay there again? If there was no where else available!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I am part of a group that comes up to the Wisconsin Dells area twice a year. The owners always go out of their way to make sure we have everything we need. Even in prime season they charge us out of season rates (probably because we fill the whole place with our group). We actually call them mama and papa. Granted the building is older but the service is great. Close to everything in downtown Wisconsin Dells. At night time it is a quick stumble home after all night at the bars.

Room Tip: I always like staying on the second floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Top Hat Motel? Share your experiences!