“Basic and Clean--with firm bed” 3 of 5 stars

Starlite Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   727 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #34 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“Basic and Clean--with firm bed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We were looking for a basic, clean place to stay in the Dells while attending a seminar. This place fit the bill. Definitely clean and definitely basic with a good firm bed. The place is a dated, but that was not unexpected. It took me back to my childhood--and I'm in my 50s.

At first, I was concerned that it would be noisy because the walls were thin, but everything quieted right down each night at 10:00. The room is a bit dark but I loved the night light in the bathroom.

One suggestion--a hook on the back of the bathroom door would be inexpensive and make showering much easier. I do not like putting my clothes on the floor but there was no other option.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mundelein, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I convinced my wife to pack up our two boys and go to the Dells for Automotion weekend. Basically, it is a car show with lots of vehicles, several hundred for sure. We had a great weekend. Stayed at the Starlite. It is a nice place, smaller motel with a pool (although the pool opens on Memorial Day weekend so we were a week early to enjoy it). But no problem because we got 4 tickets to Chula Vista Waterpark included in the cost of the room. Our boys loved it. The price of the hotel room was super reasonable considering the waterpark tickets. We were also able to walk to downtown because it was only a few blocks. The place was all around clean and comfortable. Would stay here again next time. Will recommend to family and friends

Appleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The owners were incredibly rude. The woman barged into our room uninvited, screaming that visitors were not allowed and that it was stated in the rules (which was on a sheet hidden under the lamp). They also insisted we store the bikes we brought in their storage unit, which was not in the "rules" anywhere. I told them the bikes were worth almost $2k and not getting stored out of our sight. The woman continued screaming at my boyfriend and telling him his "opinion didn't matter" because he was not a registered guest. He offered his credit card to her, saying, "Swipe my card, then I will be a paying customer and you can hear me out." She refused and wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. Her only arguments being that he was not a registered guest, no visitors were allowed, and she "is 75 years old!". Also accused me of purposely trying to sneak people in because I brought an extra blanket and asked for extra (which I didn't) and was told I almost always bring my own blanket because it's a hotel. Pretty sure I'm not the only one that does this. She threatened to call the police. We insisted she do so, then waited, but they never showed. We theorize she cries wolf often. She was extremely rude, even after being informed my boyfriend and his son were leaving and that I would register my friend (who was supposed to stay with me only on Sunday night. I rented the room for Sat & Sun). The room had 2 queen beds so it would have been myself, my son and his friend, and my friend- not over capacity. She yelled about the 2 extra cars even though the lot was near empty. Literally screamed at us for a good 15 minutes, then came back with her husband and screamed at us for another 20. Horrible experience, didn't even stay the last night even though it was paid for. Drove 2 hours home at 10 pm. My boyfriend owns 7 companies, and informed her he knew of business practices, and treating customers in this manner was anything but good business, that she could count on none of us returning and she had lost business here permanently. She shouted that she didn't care. The whole ordeal was ridiculous and unbelievable, and I believe the only reason they have been in business so long is the fact that the area is a tourist destination. Customer service was awful, and we will be looking for all means to post this exact review. Don't stay here, whatever you do.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
visit_starlite, General Manager at Starlite Motel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Kieu N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Starlite Motel.

The policy of the motel is not to have any "unregistered" guests on the property. The reason for this is that we do not have liability insurance for unregistered guests. Should an unregistered guest break an arm or leg on the property, our insurance company would not pay for these claims.

We noticed the bicycles being taken into the room and offered to store them in the stock room. We have many guests who travel with bicycles and 99% of them graciously store them in the stock room. This prevents damage to the room from tire marks on the walls, tracking of mud/debris on carpet, etc. The rooms were recently painted and the carpets steam cleaned. We are trying to keep the rooms in top condition for all our guests.

We have been family owned and operated since 1991. We pride ourselves in providing service with a smile. Although we try very hard, we are unable to please all of our guests.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband I opted to stay here versus having a room at one of the waterparks where our son and family were staying. The staff was very nice and accommodating. This was all we needed... the room was spotless and comfortable, and it also included free waterpark passes. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
visit_starlite, General Manager at Starlite Motel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear mbnb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Starlite Motel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always want every guest to have the best possible service/experience. We pride ourselves and work very hard on the cleanliness of our rooms and bathroom, in fact our entire property. We hope that you enjoyed the FREE passes to Chula Vista Waterpark. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

my wife and i were newly weds. We stayed here for our honey moon. It was fantastic we got free passes to chula vista. The prices were great. Our room was clean, fun, and spacious. The staff was very nice all in all they did a great job accomidating us. I can't wait to bring other family members here. We are definatally returning.

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the Starlite Motel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us. We always want every guest to have the best possible service/experience whether it is their first time or their tenth time. We pride ourselves and work very hard on the cleanliness of our rooms and bathroom, in fact our entire property. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the FREE passes to Chula Vista Waterparks. We look forward to your future visit with us.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a classic, old school motel. It's not fancy, but its comfortable, clean and friendly. It was much better than I expected from one of the older properties in Wisconsin Dells. The location is good if you like being in Downtown Dells. Walking distance to many shops, bars and restaurants, but you need to drive if you want to go to any of the water parks or larger attractions.

The motel has a pool and also provides a wristband to the Chula Vista water park just outside of town. I was surprised that with 2 of us staying in the room, we were only given 1 wristband.

There's a shy cat that wonders around the property too. Very cute, but often hiding.

The room was large with an older model TV and table and chairs. The bathroom had a strange layout with half a countertop, but the shower and tub looked recently updated.

The woman who runs the place is from Poland. She was very nice. There's free coffee in the lobby in the morning. Overall this motel is a great deal in downtown Wisconsin Dells. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had the room on the first floor right next to the lobby and had no problems with noise or car lig...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marybink,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave us a review. We always appreciate the comments we get. I am happy to hear that you were impressed by our room size and the cleanliness of our place. We think you captured the experience at the Starlite Motel very well! The smaller, family-owned motels depend on the business and return business of families and other visitors and connect person-to-person with their guests in ways the 100+ rooms places can't. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the FREE passes to Chula Vista Waterparks. We look forward to your future visit with us.

Walnut, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We travel with 10 people total. So finding a nice, reasonably priced hotel is sometimes difficult. We rented 2 rooms for 3 nights. The service was wonderful! They did not have adjoining rooms but they placed us next to one another. The rooms are not fancy but very clean. The mattresses were very comfortable and clean. The pool area is small but nice. There is no indoor pool which is a downfall. The parking lot is small and cramped however we were always able to park near our room. The hotel is located at the end of the strip. Definitely a plus to be able to walk downtown! My family and I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Jennifer B,

Thank you very much for your review about your stay with us recently. I am so glad to hear that you think highly of this place and now we have been able to become that new favorite place to stay while vacationing in the Wisconsin Dells area. We work extremely hard to make sure the rooms are very clean and sanitary. We always try our best to make every guest stay as welcome as possible. It is nice being on the strip within walking distance to the shops and restaurants. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the FREE passes to Chula Vista Waterparks. We look forward to your future visit with us.

The Management

Been to Starlite Motel? Share your experiences!