When you say the word CHEAP it really has two meanings, and both apply here.
Definition one: Cheap means spending very little
Definition two: Cheap means low quality
I need to say upfront before you get scared away, there is real value to be had at this location. Included with the room rate are passes to the waterparks at Chula Vista and a free coupon book which normally costs $20. So, if you consider that with your room you are getting all these extras (which add up to more savings than the room will cost you in the off-season rates), this is a great deal.
You need to have the right mindset to enjoy these deals, however. If you are a diva and need everything just right, you will be miserable and hate this place. If you enjoy saving a boatload of money (such as extreme couponers) you will overlook the downsides.
What are the downsides of the room? Well there are a few but I can overlook these because of the great deal here.
First, the matress is very firm (I think my wife enjoyed this the least, it was ok for me)
Second the vanity cabinet (or lack thereof) is of extremely shoddy craftsmanship. Oh, I should mention that we got the handicap accessible room next to the owner's room. I figured out what happened here... the owner was too cheap to buy an expensive ADA lav. and tried to put together something that meets the legroom requirements. Yes, it is functional, but looks like Homer Simpson slapped this together.
Thirdly, the carpet is the world's thinnest with no pad, so that if you have a suitcase with wheels, it sounds like you are dragging it across bare plywood.
More features to consider: very small old tv, thin pillows, old chairs and drawers, very faint smell of tobacco smoke. No clothes hooks in the bathroom (for showering). Oh... this one is funny... the directions for using the shower are printed on the back of a festival flyer (yes.. they are THAT cheap!!!).
There's other good news here too. The rooms and bedding are clean. Everything seems to be functional. The location is excellant for visiting downtown and is easy to find. Good Wi-fi signal strength in room next to office.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of downtown Wisconsin Dells, across from Bowman Park. We have 36 newly remodeled rooms. We take pride in making your visit relaxing and enjoyable. Cancellation policy: 72 hours notice on standard rooms and 5 days notice on suites. Early checkouts subject to 72 hour notice. Complimentary coffee. Non-smoking rooms available. Cable TV, Outdoor heated pool, air conditioning/electric heat, adjoining rooms/family suites, queen/king size beds, jacuzzi rooms, free ice. Check in: 2:00 pm. Check out: 10:00 am. Refrigerators/microwaves/rollaway beds/cribs available upon request for $5-$10 per night. Casino shuttle available. All major credit cards accepted. Open year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Starlite Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starlite Motel Wisconsin Dells
- Starlite Hotel Wisconsin Dells