“MLK Weekend Stay at Cedar Lodge” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
New Year's Eve
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
chicago, IL
“MLK Weekend Stay at Cedar Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My family of 4 stayed at Cedar Lodge for 3 nights over MLK weekend. It was our first time and Cedar Lodge did not disappoint. I had booked based on the reviews here on Tripadvisor, and because in the past we have only stayed at the large waterparks but the cost of the rooms (especially on holiday weekends when kids are out of school) is prohibitive.

It was a great stay - first, the staff upon check in was great. Super friendly and accommodating. Also, the room (#19 - king bed + a queen size bunk bed for my 2 little ones) was spotless - very clean. The room had a bit of a musty smell, but after airing it out for a few mins by opening the patio door it was better. I have a very strong sense of smell (the other 3 in my party thought that I was nuts).

The room was very open and roomy, it was perfect for the 4 of us. Very quiet - there were others staying but we didn't hear anyone. The beds were very comfortable. Great view. A little dim for me, I read every evening. Once the sun went down it was really hard to read on my kindle while on the king bed with the bedside light on, I'm just used to more light for sure (I'm under 40 years old in case you are interested). I also wished there had been a box of kleenex somewhere in the unit. The plates, utensils, toaster & mircowave were great and we had a few breakfasts in the room as well as snacks.

The passes to Chula Vista were great - we had previouly really liked staying at the Wilderness and liked their waterparks. CV was different, much smaller, but lots of big wateslides - ones with rafts, mats & even body slides. My kids really enjoyed them. The only thing I did not like was that the locker rooms did not have changing rooms so you ended up having to change in a bathroom stall (unless you chose to change out in front of everyone else, which my 4 year old would not do) - it would have been impossible for me to get myself changed in the small stalls (not even a toliet seat to sit down on, you had to stand the whole time) - we both ended up with wet pants and wet socks each time. I suppose if you were staying there you could walk to your room & change there, but we had to drive back so that was not an option. Speaking of driving, it was maybe 6 miles from Cedar Lodge, and not an easy drive (plus it was snowing each time we went) and both my husband and I like to have some beers while at the waterpark, so we really would have preferred being onsite where you did not have to worry about driving. A idea for Cedar Lodge might be to have a shuttle with maybe 6-8 trips there/back each day. I'd pay more for that ammenity for sure.

Cedar Lodge also offered us free passes to Christmas Mountain (less than 10 mins away) and we went there and spend 3 hours tubing (you could also use them for free life tickets but we don't ski) and it was a riot. We all loved it. That would have been $30 a person, so that was a $120 bonus, which we appreciated. Fun for the whole family!

I wished that we had known there was a DVD in the room, the amenities did not list that so I didn't bring any movies for the kids. Since we had one, we rented a couple from the office ($2.50 each with free microwave popcorn) so that was fine.

I would love to come back in the summer, I think the kids would really enjoy that. Great place!

Thanks Cedar Lodge - hoping to stop back in the summer!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
West Allis, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The people at Cedar Lodge know how we feel about this place because I tell them every time we are there! I believe this was our fifth stay and as usual everything was perfect. Even though we upped our stay to 3 nights it was still very hard to leave. This place even makes snowy cold weather inviting. The staff is great the rooms are beautiful and the view is wonderful.

Crown Point, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Nice clean room. The rooms have log walls, which you'd expect to make the room dark, but the lighting was good. Bathrooms clean. Staff very friendly. The beds sag, but the linens were nice and crisp and the quilts were clean.

Room Tip: Get a room with a kitchenette!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

West Bend, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

we have stayed here many times, I lost count. we are frequent guests. we love it here so cozy in the winter, we love to grill out and eat here. we just love the people that work there so friendly I feel like they are Family.we have stayed in several different rooms and they are nicely decorated, if the river has open water you can watch ducks and oh my gosh the Eagles are fun to watch. They even have wine available if you run out and all you have to do is walk to the office. The only small problem is this time they didn't have wine glasses in the room, or Kleenex in the bathroom, small problem though.we stayed in #4 this time and eventually the wall paper that is peeling will need replacing and a new mattress on the bed. This resort is always so very clean you will never find a hair in the whirlpool/tub. its our home away from home and will be back many times.

Room Tip: ask the front desk what your needs are and they will help you, all rooms are nice some just need a l...
Green Features: They recycle, and believe in keeping the are clean especially the river.

Greenfield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Even though we asked for Unit 28, we received unit 29. We had 7 in our party. The larger furniture and sitting options in unit 28 would have been nice to have. (5 in our party were over 50) Especially for the older member (80+) in our party. But we made due by bringing in the outside furniture inside to actually have more chair options rather than just the benches with no back support.

Other than that, the stay was ok. Wifi was on the slow side and there were periods of time when we couldn't connect. The cabin was comfortably warm and it was nice and quiet. We enjoyed the quiet and being away from the crowds at the big resorts in the area. There was a bed in the upstairs loft that squeaked every time someone moved and unlike the photographed options of Unit 28, the only tv option for most of us was the living room tv as the two back bedrooms did not have any tv options.

The unit itself was clean and aesthetically pleasing and everything that we needed to cook with was available. I would suggest that if anyone is wanting to really cook in the unit, bring your own measuring devices (measuring cups or spoons) as none were available.

Room Tip: Unit 29 bed in loft squeaks pretty badly. I went to cook some oatmeal for breakfast and realized th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I want to start this review by saying that I really wanted to give this location 5 stars, I just am really frustrated by the person who was working when I called.

The reason we were making this trip to the dells was to go snowboarding at cascade and I saw the deal online for this hotel so I called and asked once about the deal and if it was for Cascade and the woman working the front desk informed me you get lift tickets. I called and asked a question once more specifically about Cascade and she said yes so I booked. She was super friendly and helpful, but once I checked in and they handed me Christmas Mountain lift tickets, I was not happy. I would have gone snowboarding closer to my house considering that mountain is not very big.

So anyway, The man working at the office was very friendly and helpful with telling us everything about the hotel and surrounding area. I loved the property and location. We were probably 1 of 4 people staying there at this time of the year so it was very quiet and nice. The room was nice and warm when we got there. The bed was huge and very comfortable. I really liked the rugs that they had too. Everything was very clean and I was really happy with the hotel overall. The balcony overlooking the river was great. I didn't read the booklet until after so we thought that there was no hair dryer, but you just have to ask for one in the office. We were in #14.

We also got Chula Vista water park passes which was nice so we used those. The one other thing that was frustrating was that house cleaning came at 9:30am. I understand lots of people get up early, but me and my boyfriend are all about sleeping in late especially on vacation so we were a little annoyed by this. Maybe the hotel could get some do not disturb signs for the people that like to sleep a bit later. The house cleaning does do a great job though.

I would love to stay again maybe if the hotel offered something to us since it was not listening right on their part and that was the real reason we had gone on this trip and were pretty bummed out because we didn't want to waste the free lift tickets we had and spend another $100 on top of our trip to go to Cascade instead then.

Room Tip: the upstairs room in the middle have the best view of the river.
Waukegan, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Again we had our extended famiily Christmas at Cedar Lodge. I believe this is our third time staying here and we plan on making it our "go to place" for our summer and Christmas get-togethers. Granted in the winter here is no pool or hot tub available but they do give you passes to the Chula Vista Waterpark. Remember that if you have a large group like we do you can rent the party room which is great.

Green Features: I'd still like to see recycling done at the Lodge.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
dellmanager, Manager at Cedar Lodge & Settlement, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review Cedar Lodge. We appreciate the kind words. Family vacations are memories that last a life time and we're happy you chose to make those memories here at the lodge. We look forward to seeing you again this summer. Chris-

Been to Cedar Lodge & Settlement? Share your experiences!