My family of 4 stayed at Cedar Lodge for 3 nights over MLK weekend. It was our first time and Cedar Lodge did not disappoint. I had booked based on the reviews here on Tripadvisor, and because in the past we have only stayed at the large waterparks but the cost of the rooms (especially on holiday weekends when kids are out of school) is prohibitive.
It was a great stay - first, the staff upon check in was great. Super friendly and accommodating. Also, the room (#19 - king bed + a queen size bunk bed for my 2 little ones) was spotless - very clean. The room had a bit of a musty smell, but after airing it out for a few mins by opening the patio door it was better. I have a very strong sense of smell (the other 3 in my party thought that I was nuts).
The room was very open and roomy, it was perfect for the 4 of us. Very quiet - there were others staying but we didn't hear anyone. The beds were very comfortable. Great view. A little dim for me, I read every evening. Once the sun went down it was really hard to read on my kindle while on the king bed with the bedside light on, I'm just used to more light for sure (I'm under 40 years old in case you are interested). I also wished there had been a box of kleenex somewhere in the unit. The plates, utensils, toaster & mircowave were great and we had a few breakfasts in the room as well as snacks.
The passes to Chula Vista were great - we had previouly really liked staying at the Wilderness and liked their waterparks. CV was different, much smaller, but lots of big wateslides - ones with rafts, mats & even body slides. My kids really enjoyed them. The only thing I did not like was that the locker rooms did not have changing rooms so you ended up having to change in a bathroom stall (unless you chose to change out in front of everyone else, which my 4 year old would not do) - it would have been impossible for me to get myself changed in the small stalls (not even a toliet seat to sit down on, you had to stand the whole time) - we both ended up with wet pants and wet socks each time. I suppose if you were staying there you could walk to your room & change there, but we had to drive back so that was not an option. Speaking of driving, it was maybe 6 miles from Cedar Lodge, and not an easy drive (plus it was snowing each time we went) and both my husband and I like to have some beers while at the waterpark, so we really would have preferred being onsite where you did not have to worry about driving. A idea for Cedar Lodge might be to have a shuttle with maybe 6-8 trips there/back each day. I'd pay more for that ammenity for sure.
Cedar Lodge also offered us free passes to Christmas Mountain (less than 10 mins away) and we went there and spend 3 hours tubing (you could also use them for free life tickets but we don't ski) and it was a riot. We all loved it. That would have been $30 a person, so that was a $120 bonus, which we appreciated. Fun for the whole family!
I wished that we had known there was a DVD in the room, the amenities did not list that so I didn't bring any movies for the kids. Since we had one, we rented a couple from the office ($2.50 each with free microwave popcorn) so that was fine.
I would love to come back in the summer, I think the kids would really enjoy that. Great place!
Thanks Cedar Lodge - hoping to stop back in the summer!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Wisconsin River on the Lower Dells. Close to attractions, yet quiet and secluded. Relax and unwind in the summer with nightly bonfires along 400 ft. of sandy beach. Admire the Bald Eagles in the winter. Beautiful, clean riverview log units and friendly staff invite you and your family to make memories that will last a lifetime. Free water park passes included year round for every registered guest. Discount book and splash pass included with every reservation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Cedar Lodge & Settlement reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Lodge & Settlement Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Cedar Lodge And Settlement
- Cedar Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Cedar Hotel Settlement