“False/made up charges and desk lady with no clue.” 1 of 5 stars

Alakai Hotel and Suites
1030 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #31 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Madison, Wisconsin
“False/made up charges and desk lady with no clue.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

It was my family and some family friends, and we had decided to take a fun vacation to the Dells. We found this hotel on the dells.com website and thought to give it a try. I called to get information on pricing and about getting adjoining rooms (being as we were two families with kids). I was told that there would only be a $10 fee tacked on to the total for adjoining rooms and that the first nights rent would be our deposit. And when we get there, we'd be charged for the rest of our stay. Typical procedure for all hotels. Well, apparently not here! They only held a $100 on the card to reserve the room, so when we got there we were hit with the full on amount of $251.99! We were not prepared to pay so much, hence why we made the reservations in MARCH! Then, we come to find that they don't have room service nor a restaurant/bar in the hotel. Not even breakfast is offered! WTF right?! AND to top it off, she told us that the air conditioning in MY room was not working properly and it might shut off! HELLO! It's 90 some degrees outside!
So, the end of our trip comes and we get ready to checkout. So the lady at the front desk says we owe another $10 because we didn't tell her we had kids with us! I lost it at this point. My husband told me and I stormed to the front desk to see what her deal was. All I got out of the lady was "I told you in March when you made the reservations about the charge." How in the hell are you gonna remember what you told me and I don't know how many poeple that day, what you said?! I told her verbatem what she had told me over the phone and she had the nerve to answer the phone while I was talking to her! She is rude, unprofessional, and slow as molasses!! My husband and I are going to call our bank today and send the whole charge back! It was such a terribly run hotel and the owners should retire and sell it to people who KNOW how to run a hotel properly!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

My wife and I travel back to the dells almost every summer and even a couple of times at that. We've stayed at the Alakai Hotel years ago and decided to come back to this hotel remembering their great service and clean rooms. This trip was no exception(June 24,25,26 2010), the lady at the front desk greeted us with a warm welcome and everyone there makes us feel like we are at home.

For the two us, we're not demanding so a good size outdoor pool for adults(and kids of course) with music playing was a great pleasure for us. The indoor pool had a decent sized swimming pool, jacuzzi, and sauna for adults.

We have recommend this to all of our friends and relatives. Thanks for a great getaway Alakai Hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

First time here and we enjoyed our 3 night stay. Staff was very friendly,rooms were very clean, coffee at the front desk in the morning, fast food nearby.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This is our third trip to the Dells and our first stay at the Alakai Hotel. I found this hotel to be distinctively different from the others in the Dells. For one I definitely found it to be a lot more cleanly than the others. It was nice to get away from those Waterpark hotels we were used to and finally just relax and enjoy our trip. We definitely make Alakai our choice of Hotel for our next visits to the Dells.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Our cozy trip to the dells was fulfilled by the comfortable stay at the Alakai. Kids had a blast, the slides were perfect for our little guys to play on. Standard room was fine for us because of our tight budget now-a-days. Great little weekend getaway..Thanks so much!

Roscoe, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

The rooms were clean and had no smells. Pillows were comfy. Bed was a little hard. Its in a good location near the interstate exit but nice restaurants. Felt it was a bit expensive for not being a major resort. Its def. a very nice middle style resort. The 2 year old did have lots of fun in their indoor pool area with the toddler area.

Antioch, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

you need to BYO (bring your own) on several items. This was our first trip to this hotel. It is off the beaten path for the Dells, which is nice. It is close to the Great Wolf Lodge and Kalaharia.
Alakia does not have anytype of hotel dining on it's property. However several fast food chains are within walking distance from the hotel (Culvers, Mc Donalds, etc). A couple of attractions are near by Knuckleheads amusement area for one.

This hotel is nice & clean. The staff was friendly, family owned. You will need to BYO, beach towels (otherwise you use the small in room towels), beach toys are allowed, however not the kind that absorb water, no blow dryer, no clothing iron. You cannot have any food in the indoor pool area. If the kids section of both the outdoor & indoor pool are not on, just ask the front desk to turn them on. The indoor pool is only 5 ft deep, the outdoor, I believe was consistanly 3 -4 foot deep. The outdoor pool is geared strictly for children, has a few slide & basketball hoop, lots of fun. The indoor pool, has half side for small children (geared for 6 & under), the other half open swim, again 5 ft deep. Regarding the rooms: Our standard 2 queen bed room did have a refridge & microwave (which was nice), and small TV. It was overall clean & comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Alakai Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!