“Looking forward to returning” 5 of 5 stars

Alakai Hotel and Suites
1030 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Looking forward to returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We have been staying at the Alakai hotel for many years and NEVER had a bad experience. We have 3 boys ages 9 thru 4 and they have a blast in the indoor and outdoor pools. The price is affordable and the rooms are always clean and comfortable. My boys always want to stay here, the other big hotels are to overwhelming for them and us.The owners are very pleasant and welcoming towards us. We are already planning our next trip to the Alakai, our home away from home.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have never been treated so rudely. Once we were greeted and getting our room the very rude owner decided to charge an extra 70.00 dollars because we had a 15 and a 12 year old with us. They were no longer children. She was so unpleasant about the whole thing and could not even explain herself on her reasoning of the upcharge. She then decided to cancel our reservation because she felt we were unhappy. Charging extra was a bait and switch approach. Never did we get loud or out of control. She charged our friends the same thing but they did not notice it right away. With her cancelling on us because of 70.00 our whole group cancelled and lost her approx 2500.00. We tryed to warn her of this. I think she was busted with trying to overcharge and decided to cancel us in hopes of us to not cause trouble. We went to Comfort Inn and saved 96.00 each plus had a wonderful breakfast each moning. We talked to the staff at Comfort Inn and they said they never have heard of a hotel with those rules. Very mean and nasty owner. Very happy she didnt get my money.

• Stayed June 2012
Roselle, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The hotel is nice and clean, including the pools, the rooms everything.
But, the owner is totally out of control!!
Totally supervised 13 year old boys, having fun in the outdoor pool, sent her into a tirade, and without any warning, she attempted to not only empty the pool, but wanted 8 families to leave the hotel!
She did eventually calm down, but the incident was very upsetting to witness!
Any request for anything was not well received by her. I believe she wanted $50 to put sheets on a hide a bed because it was not requested before arrival!
Seriously, think twice before booking here...unless you are without kids.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My family and I decided to go to Wisconsin Dells after obtaining free Noah's Ark tickets through a fundraiser. We arrived, and noticed already that the pictures on the website were over-exaggerated, as the pools were much smaller than in the pictures. We got in, checked into our room. This hotel had several doors which was nice, as we didn't have to go through the lobby with all of our luggage to get to our room on the other end of the hotel. We opened our room. It was nice. It had two beds, a pull-out couch, a table with several chairs, a television, and a nice bathroom. We spent our day at the Waterparks. Fairly near the attractions, but far enough so that it isn't extremely loud all the time. I really enjoyed our stay. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the hard beds and the flat pillows. The pillows were so flat, that we had to call down to the front desk to ask for more pillows. Which the person at the front-desk happily gave us. All I know is that next time, bring extra pillows.
We were going to stay there again for this years vacation, but noticed that the rates had spiked because this year we got Chula Vista tickets added on. We decided to skip the Alakai this year due to this. But if there was no Chula Vista tickets, we would happily go again!

Room Tip: Aim for rooms on the first floor. While not top quality, you can avoid tugging luggage upstairs.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Alakai just last week to visit the waterparks and to enjoy the Lake. The hotel room was remarkably clean. There were absolutely no bad hotel room smells. Everything - tub, shower walls, furniture, telephone, sink, toilet, mirrors, tv set and towels had been cleaned with care. The room had a microwave and small refrigerator, which I really appreciate, because I prefer my own choice of food than eating at restaurants. The bed was well made, clean and comfortable and I slept very well.

The pool area was very nice and serene. It was a very relaxing experience. My kids who are 5 and 6 years old thoroughly enjoyed the indoor and outdoor slides. I felt very comfortable having my kids in this area. It was a perfect place for my family and I to escape and relax.

Over all, I was very impressed by the cleanliness, amenities and low price. The room was close to the lowest other rates I found. The manager of the hotel was very friendly and the staff at the hotel was very accommodating and had many good conversations. The front desk gave us some great advice on where to eat and places to go around the area. My family and I had such a wonderful experience at the Alakai and we will definitely be returning to stay at again!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed at the Alakai hotel last summer and will be staying elsewhere this year. It wasn't bad overall; the rates were affordable, the hotel was clean, and the indoor & outdoor pools were the perfect size for our then 4 year old daughter. We didn't want our toddler to have to compete with the big older kids in the water so we avoided the big indoor waterparks, but she loves waterslides so the 2 outdoor slides and 1 indoor slide were the perfect size for her.
However, where this hotel exceeded in age appropriateness, cleanliness, and affordability, it lacked in customer service big time. The owners, who live on the property, are your typical uptight, nosy old couple. Like other reviewers mentioned, there are a lot of unusual rules in the in-room book that you don't really see in other hotels. There was a rule about not having other people in your room who were not guests of the hotel; I found this really odd. I mean, if a friend is meeting you for dinner or you have family in the area, why shouldn't they be able to meet you at your hotel if you're paying for the room? We found out about this rule the hard way...
We had gone to the Dells with our extended family who came up with their grade-school aged kids for a baseball tournament and so our group had scattered among 3 different hotels, the Hilton, Hotel Rome, and the Alakai. After we checked-in our friends called to say their room was not ready yet at the Hilton so we invited them to come to our hotel to wait. When they arrived the owners tried asking them questions on their way through the lobby but they came straight to our room. It was really hot so two of the boys offered to take my toddler to the indoor water area but on their way the owners stopped them and said they weren't allowed into the pool area because they were not guests of the hotel. When I called the front desk to complain about their mistreatment, the owner informed me of the 'no outside guests' rule. We were pretty shocked and found it to be kind of a silly rule. At most big hotels you can come and go as you please but this hotel is so small that the owners are pretty much just watching everything the guests are doing. So all we could do was sit in the room and watch TV until our friends' rooms were ready and they left. When my parents drove up to the Dells on day 2 and wanted to see their grandchild and our hotel, we felt like we couldn't even have them over. We met them at their hotel instead.
For the rest of our stay we encountered little annoyances in service that put a damper on the whole experience: whenever we wanted to use the outdoor pool we had to ask at the front desk for the waterslides to be turned on and then wait, and each time the owners acted like we were annoying them. We felt we were being treated not like paying customers, but more like they were doing us a favor. At the indoor water area none of the sprayers or slides were ever turned on until we asked and of the 2 days we stayed, we had to ask both days for the outdoor area to be unlocked even though it was well after the stated opening time.
We've learned over time to under-book at new hotels and then extend if we want, so we had only booked for 2 nights and then planned to add 2 more. However we couldn't wait to leave the watchful eye of the two owners and their rules and rudeness. We checked out and stayed 2 more days in the Dells at another hotel.
The reason I rated the Alakai 'average' and not 'poor' is because only the service was poor and to some people that's not too important, even though for me it is. If service doesn't matter so much to you and you just want a clean, affordable hotel with a water area for young kids, this hotel would be fine. Just don't expect great service and be prepared to have to ask for everything before you actually want to use it. I'd also say the water areas are great for 8 and under, not 10 like the website suggests. Any older than 8 and they might be pretty bored, especially with the indoor area.

Room Tip: I'd recommend being as far away from the front desk as possible unless you enjoy being monitored...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We wanted to rent a reasonably priced room at a clean hotel with a nice kiddie pool for our 3 year old. It was winter and our son really wanted to go swimming. The Alakai was perfect for our needs - it was a cheap, mini-vacation that made our son very happy. We actually planned to stay at the Grand Marquis but they were booked when we arrived and the helpful staff there suggested Alakai (right next door to the Grand Marquis) as a nice alternative. They said the Alakai had a similar sized kiddie pool to theirs. If you look at the pictures, The Grand Marquis has a better set up, but they are close enough and in the same price range, so we opted to heed their advice.

The kiddie pool: The kiddie pool was just the right size for our toddler. He's easily overwhelmed by too many kids and deep water, so the big, busy indoor pools would have made him miserable. The equipment was very age appropriate for him (excellent size for babies and toddlers - although we saw 10 year olds playing in the area and they found ways to make the shallow water fun for them). The equipment was well maintained; there were two fountains that didn't work, but our son didn't notice or mind.

The adult pool: The adult pool was small, but it seems like the standard size for most hotels. Kids and adults shared the space so it was large enough for the hotel needs.

The hot tub: The hot tub was occupied every time we went to the pool. We didn't mind since our main concern was the kiddie pool. It was always occupied by adults and they were always mindful of the fact that the kiddie pool was nearby so everything was copacetic. The hotel seemed quite family oriented, so we didn't have to deal with drunk or unruly people.

The sauna: We never used the sauna, but there is one at the hotel if that is a requirement for you.

The room: We booked a double queen. It was clean and spacious - it's exactly the type of room you'd expect in a hotel of this price range. There was nothing that would blow you away, but it didn't feel dirty or unacceptable in any way. There was a mini fridge in our room but not a coffee maker. My partner needs coffee in the morning, so this surprised and irritated him. There was free coffee in the lobby in the morning, so he was appeased, but he still thought it was such a standard thing (coffee makers in hotel rooms) that he kept bringing it up.

CONS:
The bathroom tiles in the pool area were disgusting. They were blackened in the grout which is a tell tale sign that it's not cleaned enough.

The hotel does not offer a continental breakfast.

The lobby is a little outdated and cheesy: think fake tropical plants and sloppy murals.

PROS:
Most of the expected amenities - wi-fi, cable etc.

Clean and well priced.

The pool hours were nice. When we were there it was open 8am-10pm and 8am-8pm for the kiddie pool. The two share the same space, I imagine they just turn off all the fountains at 8pm.

The staff was helpful and friendly and obliging. We asked if we could let our son play in the pool a little after checkout (at 11am) and they told us that would be fine.

For the most part, we had the pool to ourselves! It was February, so I can't speak to the peak season, but the place wasn't crowded at all when we were there. Like I said, our toddler has crowd anxiety, so this was perfect for us. I imagine families book rooms at cheaper hotels and then spend the day at the huge indoor waterparks in the area. We debated staying at The Kalahari or Mt. Olympus but when we drove by the indoor waterpark we were immediately overwhelmed by the crowds. I looked in the windows and saw tons of people waiting in lines and milling around.

All we wanted were a few fountains and a couple of slides and the Alakai met our expectations and needs.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Alakai Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!