“terrible motel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Joliet, Illinois
“terrible motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

In the last 20 years we have stayed at this motel at least 12 times in various types of rooms or suites. Every year it seemed to get a little worse for both cleanliness and amenites. In 2011 it got so bad we decided that would be out last year there. Planned family get together in july of 2012 and heard was under new management so figured we would give it one more try. Figured it couldn't get much worse. We were wrong. Paid almost 50.00 a night more for same type room as year before and they had even less amenites and looked like nothing was updated anywhere. One outdoor pool was removed and the indoor pool in the main back building was always locked up. If you wanted morning coffee you had to walk to the front office and the morning i did that the coffee was cold - asked the desk what the problem was and they said they just turned the pot on - was previous days coffee. Place is a joke for the price. paid 189.00 for king loft room and wasn't worth 89.00. No coffee, no hair dryer, a/c that didn't work well, poor internet signal, filthy carpeting and worn out matresses. I have never written a review before but people need to be aware of this place. also the staff just really doesn't seem to care if you have a complaint. There is no way we will every stay there again - would sleep in the car if no other place available.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Racine, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We payed $106 a night, so we expected the motel to be fairly nice for the price that we payed. We got to the room & it was jaw dropping! The room was extremely dull, nothing brightened up the room at all! The carpet edge, along the wall, had a line of dust going all around the entire room...gross! There was NO coffee machine, NO hair dryer, NO extra pillows or blankets! There was NO fan & the air conditioning barely worked, so the room was extremely hot all the time. The microwave & fridge were filthy! The bathroom light barely worked. The shower curtain was torn & had mold residue on it, as if they just wiped off the mold instead of splurging for a new curtain! The night stand was disgusting...covered in nail polish and things people had spilled. The chairs/table on the deck were covered in dirt, so we didnt even want to relax on the deck because our clothes would have gotten dirty! Theres no safe to lock your stuff in & the staff just came in on their own to give us more towels...our stuff was all over the room so for all we know something could have been taken. The comforter had big brown stains on the underneith...gross! We will never come here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

No cancellation policy and minimum two night stay on the weekends. NO ONE told us this in the reservation process. Management just happened to "step out" of the office during my call, then i hear her speaking Spanish in the background. How disrespectful. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We are a pretty easy going family... Pretty easy to please. Came to the dells expecting an older but clean motel room. We also expected the few simple services that they advertised. Upon attempting to check in, we arrived to find a sign on the office door that told us to drive two blocks down and check in at another motel. What?? Ok, so we did. We then found out that the in room wi-fi that they advertise does not reach ALL the rooms in the motel. We politely asked for a room change( the motel was practically empty) and were told that it wasn't possible to do that. What?? We were also told that we could drive down the street and use the other motels wi-fi in their lobby. What??? We wanted the convenience of having it in our room. Not to go sit in one of the two chairs down the street!! Then theres the bathroom..... There was so much mildew in the grout between the tiles in the shower that one of my sons would wheeze whenever he came out of the bathroom. We avoided this by having him use public restrooms outside of our hotel. Really???? Should we have to do this for $150.00 a night????? The faucet leaked all night... Like a Chinese water torture, and I could have lifted it off the basin if we weren't careful...so loose and in need of repair. The carpets were filthy!!!!! Huge black stains and our feet were constantly black from the years of filth with no proper cleaning schedule. Then there was the morning coffee that the mayflower advertises as "in the office" well.... They fail to mention that the office is down the street two blocks!!!! What??? everything is "down the street". Literally they have NO ONE on the premise for guests. They're running two motels with one staff!!! It's very creepy knowing that no one is watching the property. The new mgt is sucking this place dry! They're taking the unsuspecting customers money and putting absolutely NOTHING back in to the property. We've come her for at least five years now and this is a completely different place than it use to be. It's pretty evident that the word has gotten out about the severe decline since the new owners took over as evidenced by the empty parking lot when thus used to be a very vibrant motel with lots of families returning year after year. What a shame!! We will be finding another motel. All we ask for is cleanliness,proper maintenance to the rooms, and an office with real people in it, not the ones "down the street". Don't waste ur money here . Theres plenty of budget friendly motels in the Dells. Farewell Mayflower...... Never again!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Milwaukee, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

1. The reservations lady was rude to my friend so I had to talk to her. I have worked in customer service just shy of 13 years and I found her to be difficult to understand and rude. I've dealt with pretty obnoxious people, so this is saying something. I would have hung up, but it was last minute.

2. The check-in at the Flamingo was a joke. Lines were clear out the door and the lady was painfully slow. I think it took close to a half hour to get through it.

3. They omit the part about the Noah's Ark tickets not being given out for Saturday night stays to lure you in. We checked and it was noted that there are restrictions in the Dells magazine, but they didn't elaborate or tell you on the phone. The website doesn't tell you at all.

4. The outside doors are locked and your actual room key (a REAL key) doesn't open it. They prop the doors open during the day or drive around to open them and let you in.

5. The hallway carpets were stained and haven't been cleaned since who knows when. The rooms are just as bad. No one went barefoot.

6. There were piles of discarded, soiled towels by the frighteningly unmaintained elevators.

7. The lifeguards were more interested in who's walking by than the people in the water.

8. A bat flew in the indoor pool area. We got to watch the lifeguards chase it around with a pool net for about 10 minutes. Once it was shooed out they hung the net back up for use later. Hygienic.

9. THEY CHARGE FOR ICE. Who does that?!

10. This is the first place I've ever stayed at that I felt like I could end up with bedbugs. Nothing went into the house, but left outside until it could go straight to the washer. I felt itchy and gross for the next week.

The best part is I mentioned where we stayed to my esthetician a couple weeks later and she was mortified that we stayed there. I guess this place has a reputation.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lahaina, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I must say upfront that first, I have never written a review, positive or negative, about a hotel in my life...I am an extremely forgiving and passive traveler. However...

We joked the first day about why our feet were black. We said it was from our flip flops, or just walking a block down the street for dinner or something. The second night, after we had all showered, and our feet were still black, we realized it was from the carpet. Yes,the carpet actually blackened our clean feet.

Minor inconveniences cropped up, such as a broken bathroom doorknob, broken curtains on the window and left behind beverages (opened, BTW) in the refrigerator. We also attempted three times to use the laundry facilities, which we were told upon inquiry was "unavailable".

After the first night, I awakened with an extremely sore throat, which I passed off as bad luck. After the second night, I was struggling to even get up to take the family out for the day-now joined by a severe headache, chest congestion and body aches.

I came home from this trip as sick as a dog, due to contracting a respiratory condition from the soaking wet, moldy carpet that I was subjected to next to my sleeper sofa - oh - which was, by the way, falling apart - literally. I picked up the mattress to try to adjust it in the frame, and when I did so, pieces of it fell onto the floor. Next to the Goldfish cracker left behind, from the looks of it, in 1989. I assume the mattress was brought over on the Original Mayflower, along with typhoid, rickets and whatever else those passengers in steerage endured.

My daughter also became sick a day later, and we both spent the day after we came home from an enjoyable vacation on the sofa, miserable.

We took a chance and chose this hotel because of its location and discounts to Noah's Ark-it was a chance not worth taking. My five year old did not become ill, and if he had, goodness knows what I would have done.

We booked this hotel with extremely modest expectations, assuming it would be simple, outdated, understaffed and disappointing...but there is NO excuse in running an accommodation that is actually unhealthy. It is irresponsible and downright criminal to clearly, knowingly, offer a facility that even a first grader could say was disgusting. Shame on all of you who work there, pretend to work there, and worse, run this ridiculous disaster. Cross your fingers no one sues you for child endangerment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kenosha, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

First time staying here although have wanted too for years. First, the check in procedure is horrible. You have to go to another hotel one block away, walk into a very crowded front office - we waited over 25 minutes to get our keys while only two other parties were ahead of us and this was at 6:30 pm Don't even attempt to get in during check-in at 3:30 - you'll be there for an hour at least. There were only two receptionists (who were very friendly) to help check in. Website says 2 free tickets to Noah's Ark for each night you stay. There were 2 of us for 2 nights - 2 + 2 = 4, we received only two tickets. Found out from another guest that this offer is not valid if you arrive on a Saturday. The bathroom was disgusting - tub was horribly dirty and it is very sad that I found myself cleaning off mildew from the tiles while taking a shower and wearing flip flops. Called at 10:00 am to report our toilet was near overflow with one flush and was told someone would be over. Left for a few hours and came back to the toilet still not being fixed. Called again at 1:00 - someone would be right over. By 3:30 had to call AGAIN and finally someone showed up with no equipment whatsoever. The next morning, same issue. Also, had some unruly drunk yelling from the balcony above us at 1:30, 3:00 and 4:30. Tried to call the front desk to report it, no answer!! Cops finally came and kicked the entire party out - was it really necessary to wait 3 hours to do that? I think not. Housekeepers, who are young and from another country, did nothing to hide their swearing capabilities in front of guests. How embarrassing - they should go back to their own country and not disrespect Americans. Best thing is the ONE outside pool (not two they claim to have) but that could stand a good cleaning as well. While the beds were comfortable, I couldn't help but feeling that I wasn't in the bed alone.......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayflower Motel & Suites? Share your experiences!