“Just as I remembered it...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Hawk Motel

You added Black Hawk Motel to your Saves list
Black Hawk Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   720 Race Street, P.O. Box 15, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE DUAL WATERPARKS!
Ranked #1 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lindenhurst, Illinois
“Just as I remembered it...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

In the late 70's and early 80's this is where my parents took us on vacation. I remember my dad always would take us back to the Black Hawk because it was clean and a great value. 30+ years later I finally returned in early August of this year with my own family, and I was delighted to find out that it's owned by the next generation of the same family who owned it way back then. Brad and his family and staff didn't just make us feel like guests of the motel, they made us feel like their own personal guests. One evening the air conditioner in our room stopped working, and within an hour it was replaced with a brand new unit. The room, the pools (we LOVED the pools!), and all of the facilities were very clean. The ONLY downside, and this was beyond the control of the Black Hawk, is my wife is very sensitive to cigarette smoke and the people in the room next to us liked to sit outside of their room and chain smoke. Other than that, there was nothing we could complain about at all. Really, for the price we paid for our room that included passes to Noah's Ark AND Chula Vista, during peak season no less, I can't see why anyone would want to stay anywhere else in the Dells. Thank you Black Hawk Motel for the fantastic week. We will be back!

Room Tip: We liked that our room was within the "horseshoe" so we could sit outside of our room and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

The Blackhawk is a true Home Away From Home. All the other guests are very kind and social able and have great staffers.

Brad and Tena are always a joy to see and come back too for Memorial and Labor Day weekends and being able to always reserve the same room each time.

Overall, The Blackhawk is number one in the Dells! Can't wait until next time!

• Stayed August 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

We stayed in July while on a family vacation to Wisconsin Dells. The Black Hawk Motel may look dated on the outside (plans underway for renovations) but don't let that fool you. Our room was completely updated with new carpet, comfortable beds and a bright spacious bathroom. It was very clean and was promptly tended to each day. The pool area and laundry room were very well looked after as well. The location was perfect as it was close to the main street with restaurants and some attractions, but far enough away to avoid the noise and crowds. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The passes to the waterparks included in the stay made this motel an excellent value. We highly recommend this motel and will stay there again if we ever return to the Dells.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end have large windows on three sides.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

This place is classic Americana done well = clean, great amenities, knowledgable staff.
I would recommend this place to anyone traveling the Dells way. They even found
my son's wallet that he had lost when we were there- the icing on the cake!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool are quieter
Waukegan, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The reviews and the #1 ranking set our expectations pretty high. We went for a long Labor Day weekend. Parking directly in front of your room is a better amenity than you'd think! Easy to get everything in and out. Everything was kept meticulously clean. Maids were very accommodating of our weird schedule. The arcade was like walking into my 1982 childhood.... hell, EVERYTHING was like walking into my 1982 childhood. It was perfect! Great hosts as well. Not a single complaint. Best family vacation we've had.

Room Tip: Our room had three beds. How cool is that?
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We stayed at Black Hawk Motel for only 1 night over labor day weekend, TRUST ME we would have stayed longer but My husbands work schedule would not allow! I was excited to stay here because of all the great reviews on Tripadvisor. What a great place. Staff was super friendly, and my daughter and I took advantage of the FREE waterpark Passes while my husband spent time at the Casino, at which he won $500 paying for our ENTIRE trip plus some!!!

I have stayed at quite a few hotels in my time, and let me assure you I am not exaggerating when I say this is BY FAR, the CLEANEST place I have ever stayed!

Out of Curiosity My daughter and I read some of the very few Negative reviews on tripadvisor just to see what people could possibly complain about!? with that said let me tell you now, If you are a high class, hoity toity type that needs top of the line EVERYTHING and feel like you need to stay only in 4 star and above hotels Black Hawk may not be the place for you! Yes it is an Older Motel with some things slightly outdated. But if you are a down to earth family like us these are the "charms" that you will love about Black Hawk Motel. We loved the "front porch" fell complete with the "vintage" chairs and bright green astroturf! We LOVED the game room with the Classic video games, like Pac Man and Donkey Kong. The outside pool was a little busy which was to be expected on Labor Day weekend but my daughter still enjoyed a quick dip and I REALLY enjoyed Monday morning when I saw a young kid who work for the Motel get into the pool and scrub down all the tile around the edges! I'm not kidding when I say this place is Clean. the indoor pool looked very nice but we did not get in, as we spent most of our time at the Water Parks. Pirates Cove was a super fun Mini Golf place and with our splash pass that Black Hawk motel gave us we got a discount!! then went for buy one get one free margaritas at the Mexicali Rose.
Breakfast at Mitzis was good. Decided on Monks downtown for dinner/ burgers, Maybe its because we are from MI and have experienced the "Blimpie Burger" in Ann Arbor but this place didnt really blow our skirts up much. (my father in laws analogy) it wasnt BAD but it surely WAS NOT a Blimpie Burger!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All in all it was a great trip and we will definitely come back to Black Hawk Motel for our "adults only" weekend in October.

Room Tip: we stayed in unit 49 a two queen room! it was VERY nice and right across from the pool! A/C worked G...
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

We are so thankful for the Black Hawk Motel! We had booked a room at the Flamingo Motel which was a big mistake. The room was filthy and appeared to not have been cleaned in years. The only positive was that the person at the front desk refunded our money. We drove around The Dells stopping in a couple of places then came upon the Black Hawk. They had a room for our long Labor Day weekend vacation, so we took it. Best decision ever! Clean rooms and classic motel atmosphere. The kids loved the heated indoor and outdoor pools along with the classic arcade room. Great location and we appreciated the water park passes. The staff was friendly and attentive. We were glad to hear they are keeping the family business alive and well after so many years. We'll definitely be back for another stay!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Black Hawk Motel? Share your experiences!