“New Black Hawk Motel Fans!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Hawk Motel

Save Saved
You added Black Hawk Motel to your Saves list
Black Hawk Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   720 Race Street, P.O. Box 15, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE WATERPARK INCLUDED
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chilton, Wisconsin
“New Black Hawk Motel Fans!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I booked this Motel for the first time for my husband and kids, it was very well worth it! We visit the Dells on a yearly basis and have stayed at big-well known & pricey resorts in the past and after our stay here, I will no longer be booking anywhere else. Not only does the property have great amenities, they give you passes to two different water parks for each day of your stay! This is such a deal! We also received the Passport to Savings book and we used it for The Original Ducks. The rooms are very clean, the area is quiet, yet within walking distance of downtown dells and a few minutes of a drive to all attractions. I highly recommend Black Hawk Motel for your stay! Oh, the best part is when I turned in our key, Brad the owner thanked me by name.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Just got back from another great stay at the Black Hawk. This time we were in room 22, a good location, right next to the arcade and pool. Although the room was tiny, we only needed room for two and it suited us just fine. In fact, the space was very well thought-out and not an inch was of space was wasted.

As always, the room was clean and fresh and the staff, from the front desk to the maids that cleaned the room were friendly and professional. The two water park admissions were great too. The retro video games in the arcade are a hoot, and most are still only a quarter!

A couple of concerns, however. The website needs to be updated since the hotel no longer offers a ten dollar discount to the Embers restaurant. Instead there is a 10% meal discount in one of the many coupon books available.

Also missed is the old bargain hard-card with 2-for-1 deals. In its place is a less attractive, but still appreciated "splash card". The discounts are not as good as they once were. Gone too is the package deal for golf at Pine Crest Par 3. That was really missed!

WiFi was a bit spotty too, but I've experienced that at much higher-end hotels so that wasn't a big deal. The diving board, however, was gone... not sure if it was under repair or being removed. The indoor pool also lacked the kiddie slide that has been there for years. We noticed it across the street in a parking lot. Repairs?

The air conditioner was very noisy and much too large for a tiny budget room, but it certainly did keep the room cool (it didn't take long).

One of the outdoor charcoal grill that was near the playground that we were used to seeing was gone. No matter, we just used the one near the laundry, but would have preferred the one that was removed.

I also noted on the guest rating card that the motel was asking "for a small increase in rates", what kind of entity would the guest like to see? I think the motel, overall, is fine as-is and I hope they do not consider entering the restaurant market as it would probably not be profitable, especially with a new eatery opening up every other day in the Dells.

If this review sounds negative, it most certainly is not. Overall, the experience was great, as it usually is. With the competitive motel/hotel market in the Dells, and with Mt. Olympus buying up everything in sight (and then not keeping it up or giving good service), it's crucial that smaller independents like the Black Hawk, continue their tradition of great service, and value pricing.

We will certainly be coming back.

Room Tip: Book early... this place is popular!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Where can I start?? After the first motel we stayed at walking into black hawk was a relief. Our room was super clean and updated. Flat screen tv, nice size frig, two sinks, microwave, dvd player, and euro bath shower gel dispeners. Nice shower too. But even better was how clean the pool and hot tube areas were. Its a must stay and we will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2014
Merrill, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Finally able to book a room here after reading about all the good reviews. Well worth the wait-- great retro type motel, super clean, staff is great, outdoor pool is heated so you can enjoy in the later evening. The bed was comfortable, nothing to complain about at all. Parking is right outside the door. The free waterpark passes to Noah's Ark and Chula Vista are a bonus also! (which saves you some money at Noah's Ark for sure since you now have to pay for parking and lockers!) Next time I am in the Dells, will try to stay here again, unless it is all booked up!

Menomonie, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed in room 72 whirlpool suite. For the negative it doesn't have an area to hang clothing just a couple hooks. That's it for negative. Positive we stayed here after our Sparta -Elroy bike trail trip we were tired so we did not use the pool or fun stuff in the dells. Our room is away from the pool area up the road a bit which we preferred as it was very quiet. However it is in walking distance to the pool. Our room was large and we have our own parking numbered stall by our unit. It is like your own little lodge. We have two lawn chairs and little table out front and there was a couple slides and picnic area next to us as well.
Excellent whirlpool, it was wonderful after our day long trip. Room was clean, coffee maker, micro and larger refrigerator was very accommodating. Small table two chairs. I know you can have free passes to some area water parks as we'll. check with the motel for that.
All around excellent. Friendly helpful staff. I am very happy with my trip advisor app. I found this motel via trip advisor and reviewed the reviews and based our decision on it. I normally stay at chain hotels and would have passed this up as a small motel. The value is extremely good as this is a tourist city. This motel is away from Thule main stream of things just a bit but we'll worth it. We ordered delivery service as recommended by the motel from the pizza pub as it does have a full menu. Again excellent choice.
I would stay here again in a heart beat

Room Tip: Check out their website and ask the staff what best suits your family needs
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
East Chicago, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My children and I booked this Motel for the first time, it was very well worth it! We visit the Dells on a yearly basis and have stayed at big-well known & pricey resorts in the past and after our stay here, I will no longer be booking anywhere else. Not only does the property have great amenities, they give you passes to two different water parks for each day of your stay! This is such a deal! The rooms are very clean, the area is quiet, yet within walking distance of downtown dells and a few minutes of a drive to all attractions. I highly recommend Black Hawk Motel for your stay!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My family stayed here Memorial Day weekend. It's off the main drag with all the other hotels that feature water parks and the higher price tag to go with it.That also makes it a more quiet stay. The room was clean and smelled newly painted, probably for the summer tourist season. It has a large counter area with a sink separate of the one in the bathroom in addition to the fridge and microwave. We used the passes for Noah's Ark that were included with our stay; that saved a load of money. We also used the Passport to Savings book for Tommy Bartlett & the Ducks. While my daughter loved Noah's Ark, my 4 year old was more than content to use the indoor pool. I could barely get him out of it! They also have a game room, laundry facilities, a patio and a playground for the kids. This place has it all, and if they don't have it they give you discounts and passes for it. Also, Mitzi's is about a block or 2 walking distance from the motel. We had breakfast there and it was great. I kicked myself for some of the other places I wasted time and money on. Oh, and Black Hawk gives you a discount coupon for there too!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Black Hawk Motel? Share your experiences!