“Perfect Get Away!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Hawk Motel

You added Black Hawk Motel to your Saves list
Black Hawk Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   720 Race Street, P.O. Box 15, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Illinois
“Perfect Get Away!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

This motel was fabulously clean!
Six of us stayed (in three separate rooms) at this motel this past weekend and found each to be exceptionally clean and well maintained.

The owners were always attentive and very helpful with the Casino shuttle. The location was great for walking downtown to shop, eat or drink.

The indoor pool room has beautiful wood throughout and the pool was always warm.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be returning often.

• Liked — Cleanliness of the property.
  • Disliked — No cofee makers in the room.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
BlackHawkMotel, Manager at Black Hawk Motel, responded to this review, September 16, 2008
We are glad that the Black Hawk and the Wisconsin Dells area provided a safe alternative for your vacation plans seeing that your group had to cancel your trip to New Orleans as a result of hurricane Gustav. Although we don't have coffee makers in the room at this time, keep in mind that we keep the coffee on all day from 7 am. until after 11 pm, it's complimentary as wanted, (or as needed.)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

When we had decided to spend Labor day weekend in Wisconsin Dells I had originally planned on booking our stay at Hotel Rome (Mt Olympus). I then read the reviews here about the Blackhawk and saw that we could save over $200 and quickly changed my mind. When I told my family what and where I had booked I immediately started getting the jabs. I admit I was hesitant as well. I'm also one of those hotel snobs. They shut up the second we walked into the door of our hotel room and apologized immediately! We booked a whirlpool suite deluxe w/ 3 queens. Everyone loved the room and especially the whirlpool. It was a nice size, 2 person whirlpool. Not one of those small bathtub types that some hotels try to pass off as a whirlpool. The room was quite spacious and updated. There was a flat screen TV with satellite in the front room and another in the bedroom. The kids loved being able to stay in a different room although didn't understand the reason behind mirrors on the ceiling above the bed :) lol. What I didn't like was the extremely small bathroom. There's a tub and a toilet and room for no more in there, sink & vanity is outside the bathroom. The pillow were really flimsy and they didn't supply any more than the 2 per bed. Also the maid didn't make our beds. We placed the tag on the door to have the room cleaned and went to the water park for the day. When we returned we had plenty of fresh clean towels but the beds were still unmade and no new trash bags were put into the trash cans. It didn't appear that the room was really cleaned. These were all things I could live with however and if I were to return to the area would stay here again. I would also recommend this motel to my family and friends.

Stayed August 2008
Glad you liked the Whirlpool Deluxe room! We admit, this is a small bath room. We just completely gutted and remodeled this room in the winter of 08 and wanted to keep the front room large and add the whirlpool. I remember housekeeping asking about your room. We do it in two shifts, a staff member comes in and replaces fresh towels and takes out the garbage and hangs a white towel on the door. This is the signal for housekeeping to come in and clean the bathroom, make the beds, ect. On Labor Day Sunday, we were able to get you clean towels and empty the garbage and the towel was hung on the door, however you returned before housekeeping was able to get in and make the beds, bath room, ect. Upon leaving, you must of either mistakenly hung the Do Not Disturb sign, or hung it thinking that was all housekeeping was going to do for the day. Sorry for the inconvience, but house keeping checked with me and I figured you were satisfied with just towels exchanged, and when the sign says Do Not Disturb, housekeeping will not enter the room. This system of doing housekeeping has worked great for many, many,years and it's much more efficient. Thanks for allowing us to accommodate you.
Pewaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed in this motel for 3 days during Labor Day weekend. The room was spacious and clean. We have not tried any of the pools, but they looked good. There is a fridge and a microwave as well in the room, which was quite handy.
Also there is dedicated parking place for all the rooms. The person at front desk was kind and helpful.
We had a good time there.

• Liked — Cleanness
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I usually don't stay at motels because of previous (not so wonderful) experiences, but decided to stay at this motel because it is #1 on TripAdvisor. I am so glad I did. My family loved it and so did I. The whole experience was great, all the way from booking to checking out. The staff is friendly and helpful, the property is extremely neat and clean, and the location is perfect. We booked a kitchenette and a doulbe queen room because we had 4 adults and one child in our party. Both rooms were very nice. The kitchenette was bigger than I thought it would be, so that was a nice surprise. The bathroom was roomy, plus there was a small area with another vanity right outside the bathroom, which was a big plus. The beds were so comfortable. We all slept well. I loved having the kitchen area and full size refrigerator. We saved alot of money by cooking our own meals instead of eating at restaurants. We also had a nice bar-b-que and small play area right ouside our room. And it was so convenient to have our car parked right ouside our door. The pool areas are very nice and so is the laundry room. Our whole experience was great. We loved staying here and will definitely stay again.

• Liked — cleanliness, room size, and location
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

When my husband first told me that we were staying at a non-brand name MOTEL I was very skeptical. I am a self-proclaimed "hotel snob" and was not looking forward to staying here. Well, I had to eat my words. The Black Hawk far exceeded my expectations. The place is immaculately kept up. I have rarely seen such a clean property. The indoor and outdoor pool areas are very nice and spacious.,,, AND CLEAN!! Our room was HUGE with two large bedrooms with two queen beds in each room. We also had a small refridgerator and microwave oven. I loved that they still have a diving board at the outdoor pool and classic slides into the pool in both the indoor and outdoor. One of the unique things is that they have "retro" pieces that are in pristine condition... how do they do that? This was a nostolgic, yet extrememly well maintained place to stay. This place is defintely a good value in this area.

• Liked — cleanliness; comfortable beds; well maintained.
  • Disliked — no coffee maker in room
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

We arrived pretty late and the staff kept the office open late so we could check in. We called ahead to let the office know that we would be arriving after midnight and he was really nice about it and made sure we had good directions too. The room was clean and was exactly what we expected for the price. All of the staff were helpful throughout our stay. We will definitely stay at the Blackhawk again!!

• Liked — Free high-speed internet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Rochester, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Decided to follow the recommendations from all those that wrote in on this website and seemed very satisfied with the Blackhawk. I was skeptical at first, but very quickly had my mind made up after having seen how well maintained all of the facilities and rooms were. Clean, clean clean!!! The staff could not have been more friendly and courteous. We were going to hit some of the larger waterparks on the second and third day of our trip and had time to play in the pool areas at the motel on the first afternoon. My kids enjoyed both of the pools and had a fine time over a few hours of staying at the Blackhawk for some fun. The motel is located on a very quiet road within a nice walking distance from the downtown shopping district, a nice way of spending some time in the evening with the family after hitting the waterparks. Also located close to the drive-in theater that is a family tradition for us when visiting the Dells. After staying in the larger chain hotels for many years, it was so nice to have a small, friendly, clean place to stay with reserved parking right in front of your room. Loved having a porch/lawn chair to chill out on right there as well. I cannot recommend this place enough as a great alternative to the large chain hotel scene. We will be returning!

• Liked — Price, cleanliness, convenience
  • Disliked — No coffee maker in the room
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Black Hawk Motel? Share your experiences!