“Nice for low budget” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Black Hawk Motel

You added Black Hawk Motel to your Saves list
Black Hawk Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   720 Race Street, P.O. Box 15, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Special Deal
FREE DUAL WATERPARKS!
Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Stacy, Minnesota
“Nice for low budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

From the trip advisor reviews I thought this must be special. No. It's just a well-maintained budget hotel. Room was very clean and everything in good working order. (Except for the cheap lights which start at 20W and gradually brighten over the next minute.). My main gripe was WiFi; it was so slow or unreliable so as to be worthless. I couldn't even use my iPad trip advisor app in the room. Good location. Helpful staff.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheBlackHawk, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello Jeff, Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! There's many nice places to stay in the Wisconsin Dells area and we are proud to say that "we are...who we are". We feel we are a budget friendly motel that's clean, well maintained, friendly customer service and many added amenities like our heated indoor and outdoor pools and complimentary waterpark passes. Glad you found your room to be clean and well maintained. I agree that the energy saving light bulbs do get annoying at times...my wife and our lead housekeeping staff HATES these bulbs. However, it's a program that is cost effective and all old bulbs were replaced with these by a program thru Focus on Energy and it's a huge cost savings for us that allows our rates to stay more budget friendly. I do apologize for the poor Wi-Fi that you experienced, we do offer customer support 24/7 thru our Wi-Fi provider and sometimes the system does need to be rebooted. We have however had other complaints this year and we are looking into upgrading our service this off season. Thanks again for your review and safe travels, Brad.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
West Allis, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary, the motel came highly recommended and we were NOT let down! The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Our room was very clean and quite. We didn't use any of the amenities (pool, hot tub, etc. which is why it didn't get a 5) but from what we could see they were equally clean. It is close to everything to be convenient but yet far enough away to not be distracting. WE WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: Reserve your room early, this is a popular motel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheBlackHawk, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
We would like to wish you a belated Happy Anniversary and we are glad you choose to stay with us! It makes our day when we learn that we have met our guests expectations and they have enjoyed their stay with us. We look forward to having you visit us again, when we hope you have time to enjoy our pools, saunas, retro arcade and even our complimentary water park wristbands to Chula Vista Water Parks. Soon we'll be opening up our website for 2014 bookings. Thanks for taking the time to write us review and have a great fall and winter season. Sincerely, Brad
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

For the value of the place it does live up to it expectations and can see why it won a trip advisor award. Clean, comfortable, very nice staff and within walking distance to everything in the downtown Dells area. the pools, both indoor and outdoor, were a plus but were very busy on the days we were there. I would recommend booking a suite there since tthey are very spacious, newly remodeled and not much of a price difference.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review in regards to your stay with us this past July. We are really proud of our Trip Advisors 2013 Travelers Choice Bargain Hotel Award. It's really a reflection of what we strive to do....provide a safe, clean, comfortable place to stay, with friendly customer service...all at a reasonable rate. In today's tough economy, finding an affordable family vacation or getaway is key for some guests. We hope to see you again for the 2014 season and be sure and check our website for our 30 different room types to choose from, and you'll also find detailed room descriptions and additional photos. Sincerely, Brad
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Black Hawk while attending the Fall Sprawl, a walk to benefit Easter Seals Wisconsin. This was our first year staying here, as in the past we stayed in a motel room in a campground. First, I liked both places. It depends on what you want, a pool or a campfire. This year we chose the pool. We stayed in a room with 2 full beds. The room was spotless; couldn't find a speck of dirt anywhere. Although one of the smaller rooms, it was bigger than some of the hotel rooms I have stayed in in the past. There was a microwave, fridge and 2 sinks, one inside and one outside of the bathroom. The room also had a long counter. Although there was no coffee maker in the room, coffee was available in the hotel office, which was to my liking. There was free wi-fi. The pool area was clean and contained a slide. There was also a sauna and whirlpool. The water was comfortable, not like some cold water pools at other hotels I have stayed at. One of the best parts of the hotel is there was parking right outside of the room, and there was extra guest parking about 2 spaces away. All in all, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheBlackHawk, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for donating your valuable time to walk for Easter Seals Wisconsin, what a great contribution and an outstanding way to have family time together! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us...and next year I believe we'll have in room coffee in all our rooms, which right now is our most requested amenity from our many guests. We feel our rooms with 2 full beds are decent in size. However we would like them to be much larger, and with this is mind...this is one of the reasons we've added countertops and an extra bar sink to all of these rooms types, a perfect way to maximize space. I believe in spending the extra money and heat our pool water to a comfortable temperture, so we are glad you had an enjoyable swim. We thank you for taking the time to write us a review and we hope to see you again in the near future. Sincerely, Brad
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Prior to leaving for the Dells, I was checking out places to stay and read the reviews but decided on staying somewhere else. Boy, wish I had listened to the reviews! This place is a G E M in the Dells! After staying two nights, my guy and I decided we wanted to stay another night. Upon a strong recommendation, we decided to give the Black Hawk Motel a chance! Don't be fooled by the name "motel" or the age of this adorable place! The room is immaculately clean, the whole location is properly taken care of and it clearly shows the dedication the family owned business has invested.

Brad warmly greeted us and was attentive and super friendly. We stayed in room 30, which has a king sized bed and near the pool. We had assigned parking which is right outside the door! Granted its not busy in October but assigned parking is awesome when it is peak season in the Dells. Upon asking where the nearest DVD rental was, Brad produced a box and offered to borrow some movies for the night!

There's so much to say about this awesome motel. I loved the pool, sauna, hot tub and arcade room which also has a pool table and juke box! The next day, we swam and played games. I felt like a kid and had so much fun! The price? Super reasonable and affordable!! The bed was super comfy! I loved the personal interaction with Brad who made my stay very welcomed! Will be back again!

Room Tip: There were two of us and the king room was awesome for us! Depends on your family, the motel has ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We're ecstatic that you choose to stay an extra night and gave our "motel" a chance! We hear it often, that the word "motel" scares some of our guests away. We have always believed in putting money back into the business. I am glad that you were able to find a couple of dvd movies to watch...we always keep a few of our personal favorites in case any guests may inquire. It was very nice interacting with you as well and we truly appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. We hope to see you sometime next summer! Sincerely, Brad
Lisle, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Black Hawk Motel is an older style roadway motel in the Wisconsin Dells that is well cared for and maintained by the owners. The hotel is about 4 blocks east of the downtown Wisconsin Dells area.

We reserved the king sized bed room on a balcony with a whirlpool. This room was at a Manager's Special rate of $79/night, which was a real bargain. We had ridden the Elroy to Sparta bike trail earlier in the day and the whirlpool helped to ease the aches and pains of a couple in their late 40's.

This particular room was very large, and in addition to the whirlpool included a microwave, a refrigerator, and coffee maker in a small kitchen like area and countertop. The room itself appeared to be recently renovated and was very clean. The bathroom was nice, and the shower was one of the nicest showers we have every seen in a hotel with a high pressure type shower head that was nice. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. There is a large outside private deck outside the room overlooking the outdoor pool. We also had our own private parking space and a private staircase to our room.

There is a nice sized indoor pool in addition to the outdoor pool. The hotel was also offering free passes to Chula Vista, which was a nice touch but we didn't have time to take advantage of the offer. The hotel office also had information on a proposed addition the hotel, which seems like a step in the right direction.

Three small items. There was only one very small bar of soap in the bathroom, so we had to move the bar around from the shower to the sink, and it didn't last too long due to its size. I would recommend a relatively inexpensive upgrade and provide 2 bars of soap of a higher quality. There was also a small bottle of combined shampoo and conditioner, and again, the hotel should consider a modest upgrade to get separate bottles for shampoo and conditioner. Also, there were only 3 pillows on the bed, and they aren't large and both of us wanted to have two pillows to sleep on so we had to flip on who got two pillows.

Overall, for the price this hotel was a pleasant surprise and deserves the high TripAdvisor ratings.

Room Tip: When booking a room, go the hotel website and look for the "Manager's Special" section...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Our annual spring and fall Manager's Special has been a popular accommodation choice with our guests for the past few years. We are so glad that you took advantage of this and booked our king bed whirlpool balcony suite. Sounds like you really had a relaxing stay...and that makes us feel great! Our good friend and tile installer "Chet the tile guy" continues to amaze us and we he recently finished the shower in your room.....we were blown away! We do apologize for the one bar of soap. We actually had an oversight and have forgotten to add a body soap dispenser to this shower. At first we thought about it and didn't want to cover the tile work. I appreciate your recommendations on the larger bar of soap also...a great idea, as well as the shampoo / conditioner being separate. Thank you for taking the time to write us a detailed review and we hope to see you again in the near future! Sincerely, Brad
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

In a scurry , I bring up my trip advisor app and start calling hotels close to me based on rating. I am always looking for a Jacuzzi suite with easy access to outside to smoke. Called here based on rating not really paying a lot of attention, as soon as I heard a room with a Jacuzzi and three queen beds I booked just on the novelty. I am glad I did. On a 15 day trip this was the best value and best time we had. I am so not a motel a person, but this has totally skewed my opinion of small motels and can only hope I stumble upon more gems like this one.

The complex is rather large with most units surrounding a common area with indoor/outdoor pool, sauna, whirlpool, laundry room, playground and brick grill. Most rooms had lawn chairs outside. Love that. We stayed just past this area in a quiet little nook with private detached cottages. Parking directly in front of room. In room 68. With a real key...

Our area only had a few units and another playground and brick grill for use. Our room itself was great. Huge Jacuzzi, fridge, micro sink area, loveseat coffee and end table and one queen bed in the front room. This bed a mirrored ceiling !!!! Mirrors around Jacuzzi as well.

In the back was a bedroom with two queen beds, area to hang clothes. air conditioning and tv. Bed were comfortable and the air was cool.

The only thing I didn't like was the small bathroom and that the sink was outside the bathroom with no counter space. Not very good water pressure but had plenty of hot water.

The game room is crazy large, pools were clean. We did do laundry here and its just not a washer/dryer in a corner but a rather large comfortable room with 2 washer/dryers seating area and tv. I loved the grills for traveler use.

This is like a campground, the folks we ran into grilling were sociable and it felt natural to strike up a conversation, won't get that at a Hampton Inn.

It is walking distance to older end of strip but it is a couple blocks away. If you have smaller kids it may be a little long. We walked after dark to dinner and felt completely safe.

This motel deserves it ratings and I wish them much success.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write us an extended and very imformative review on your recent stay with us....as you described our layout perfectly! We are happy to hear that on your 15 day tour, you found your stay with us in cottage 68 the most enjoyable. We do agree and apologize for the bathroom in this room being on the small side. Believe it not...this unit (and all our cottages) is an old tobacco barn which my grandfather moved to the Wisconsin Dells back in the early 1940's. It's been added onto a few times and most recently a few walls were moved and in order to add the huge whirlpool...we had to downsize the bathroom. Check out our Face Book page and you will be able to see the original cottages. We sincerely appreciate all of our reviews and we really appreciate a reviewer who adds photos....and what some awesome pics that you added! So happy to hear that you liked the layout of our guest laundry and our huge Retro Arcade. We are centrally located, just 4 blocks from the center of downtown Wisconsin Dells...and we as well feel that it's a safe walk. We hope to see you again in the near future...perhaps you may like to try our king bed whirlpool suite w/ a private balcony overlooking our outdoor pool? Have a great fall season and thanks again! Sincerely, Brad