“Excellent Value and Location with a Couple of Oddities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Black Hawk Motel

You added Black Hawk Motel to your Saves list
Black Hawk Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   720 Race Street, P.O. Box 15, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Value and Location with a Couple of Oddities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Great value for the area. Indoor and outdoor pools, water park passes (which we did not use). I liked the location along a main street, but far enough away from all the noise and activity. I also appreciated all the room choices- something for everyone. My wife and I chose a less expensive room, deliberately away from the pool area (not that it was a long walk). We were just passing through for one night and wanted quiet. But a few things that it does not have, which you should know going in: No cover over the toilet seat, something I found very odd in the U.S. No in-room coffee maker, but also no breakfast provided, also rather odd these days. There was no night table on one side of a king size bed. So I had to pull a chair over. However, it is still a very good choice for couples or families.

Room Tip: Lots of choices/prices. Nothing is very far away. So I wouldn't pay extra to be a few feet clo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TheBlackHawk, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Hello Laborman1, We are happy to hear that you consider us an excellant value and location and a very good choice for couples, families or single travelers. We do have 30 different room types to choose from and they vary from budget to our 1300 sq. foot two bedroom house. Glad you liked your 1 King Budget. This is either rooms 5, 6 or 7. None of these rooms have a toilet w/ a toilet seat...however...many of our rooms do have a seat on the toilet. The bathrooms in these rooms is original and we do a major renovation to this entire building in the near future. Currently many of our rooms do have toilet seats. We choose to keep our rooms budget friendly and no where do we advertise in room coffee or continental breakfast. However, these are two amenities which we may very well add in the future. This would also involve increasing room rates and the breakfast I vision is one of a complimentary hot breakfast. This would involve increasing room rates $7.50 per person...something I am not ready to do or we equipped to do. A property our size needs a large room w/ seating for at least 60-80 guests and addtional reliable staff as well. We do offer complimentary coffee in our office all day long and there is a restaurant which serves breakfast just one block from us. Thanks so much for your review and your comments are appreciated as we move into the future and are always looking to upgrade our property and amenities. We hope to see you again in the future! Sincerely, Brad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

After a horrid experience at the Econo Lodge some years ago I happened upon BLACK HAWK MOTEL with my grandson. He saw the big Indian and was impressed by it. He was 10 at the time, 15 now. We were shown around & a room was available so we checked out of filthy Econo Lodge & had the best time @ Black Hawk. Brad & Tina treat you as family! The rooms are immaculate and would pass my Ma's white glove check! They keep the pools, playground, grill area, game room & laundry room clean too. I'll never stay anywhere else when at the Dells. On top of all this, the prices are great for a single Granma on a tight budget! They also give you free water park passes for each day including your check out, Formerly Mt. Olympus, now Chula Vista. You also get discounts for a good restaurant (Embers) & other perks. Can't wait to get there next month!!

Sincerely, Mary LoVetro Kenosha, Wi.

Room Tip: Any room you choose is great but we like the U area of rooms. The owners keep it quiet after the ind...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hello Mary! We look forward to seeing you and your grandson next month....and in the mean time...THANK YOU for your review! We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the Econo lodge...but happy to hear that you found us because of it. We have always believed in not only keeping our rooms clean, but also our entire property as a whole. We don't have a reputation of catering to disrespectful and unruly guests and we appreciate that you mentioned this...we don't want this kind of business, nor do we need it. Glad you like our big ice maker...in fact we have 4 ice makers on property and I like to advertise..."plenty of free ice"...bring a cooler and fill to. We will see you soon and I'll have the temperture nice and warm on our pools! Sincerely, Brad
Maple Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We just completed our 3rd stay at the Black Hawk and it was wonderful. We were there celebrating my Granddaughters 6th Birthday and we had 4 days of non-stop fun.We all enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pools and the Chula Vista passes. Our rooms were clean and comfortable and as always our wants (extra pillows etc.) were met without hesitation. If you want to be pampered with Room Service etc. don't stay here, but if all you need is a clean, safe comfortable room, Black Hawk can't be beat. We are already trying to determine when we can come again before the end of the season and we will absolutely be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello David, Thank you so much for writing us another review on your recent stay with us and more importantly...your continued patronage on becoming a regular repeat guest. We are happy to hear that everyone had non stop fun from enjoying our pools and everything that Wisconsin Dells has to offer and that you enjoyed your accommodations and our staff. We hope you are able to make it away for a fall getaway...however if you are unable...we look forward to seeing you and your family again next year. We are also still keeping an eye out for your granddaugters lost ear ring. Thank you again and have a great fall season! Sincerely, Brad
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Decided to take my wife and two boys (ages 8 and 5) to do the waterpark etc thing in Wisconsin Dells. Knowing we wouldn't be spending much time in our room and would be gouged at every tourist attraction and restaurant we hit, I opted to go the motel route instead of the hotel route.

Usually we stay in 3-4 star hotels and rarely in motels. Plus, the last motel I had booked in the Dells, eleven years ago, turned out to be a real dive, and my wife has ribbed me about it ever since (it was the weekend we got engaged and put a damper on the whole romance thing). Therefore, I read a lot of reviews before making a lodging choice this time around.

The Black Hawk had a lot of very good reviews and far fewer fake reviews than some of the top-rated motels, and the price was right, so we booked it. I'm happy we did.

LOCATION: Not too far east of downtown, we were able to walk to the downtown area during some free time our first day. Driving distance to everything else is pretty quick, but that's standard for the Dells. It's not too big a town. The motel isn't right next to one of the popular tourist areas, so it was plenty quiet at night.

GROUNDS: Like most of the other motels in the Dells, this one's been there a while and is dated. The difference, though, is that the Black Hawk isn't dated in a bad way so much that it just seems retro. It's a motel through and through, but everything seems to be very clean and kept up well. There's a couple pieces of playground equipment for the kids, and those are in good shape. The pool is a little on the small side, but it was well-maintained and much nicer than many hotel pools I've encountered over the years. Overall, I'd call the Black Hawk quaint and clean.

ROOM: No surprises as far as room size and layout goes and nothing fancy. The pillows, linens, shower head, faucet, TV, towels, etc were low-end, low-cost stuff, as one would expect from a budget Dells motel (there was a refrigerator and a microwave, though, which is an added bonus. But (and this is a big but) everything was very clean and in good condition. From the front door to the rear window, the place was taken care of, and we felt very comfortable staying there. It was a little like staying at Grandma's house.

MANAGEMENT/STAFF: We didn't have the need to interact much with the front desk staff, but check in and check out were handled smoothly and pleasantly. The man who gave us our room and the woman who I checked out with were friendly. The woman assigned to clean our room after check-out, though, deserves a HUGE "thank you!" Unbeknownst to my wife and I, one of our kids was playing with my iPad before we left and, when he was done, put it down on the bed, where it then got hidden from view by the bedspread. Thinking it was already packed away, we left the room without it and checked out. Check out took barely five minutes, yet in the brief amount of time since leaving the room, this woman found the iPad and chased us down (literally) to return it as we were driving away. Very respectable. Thank you.

I would absolutely recommend the Black Hawk to families looking for good-value, no-frills lodging in the Dells. We will more-than-likely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write us a detailed review and let the rest of the Trip Advisor community know that you feel we live up to our reviews. We are happy to learn that you felt comfortable staying with us and would stay with us again. The room that you had is on our remodel last as soon as this winter or next for sure and when we remodel rooms today, it's done in a way so much more than just fresh paint and new carpet. Eileen,...our head housekeeper told me of the incident with your ipad and she was happy that she was able to catch you before you left the property. She has been with us for most of her life since she was age 13 and takes great pride in her job and taking care of our guests...and this was just another example. Thank you again, we hope to see you soon and have a great fall season! Sincerely, Brad
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here as a kid and wanted my kids to have the same experience. The motel is wonderful. The grounds are very very clean and the rooms are extremly clean as well. We stayed in room 70 & 71 and with 7 kids and the kitchen was so helpful. The room sizes are much bigger then what you would find in another motel. Also had a picnic bench right out side along with grill and playground. Perfect for a family!! The pools are both well maintaned, warm and relaxing. I would highly recommend booking a reservation here. When we go back to the Dells we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Check out all their rooms. They have something for a single person to multiple familes. There is s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Heather! Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review and for choosing the Black Hawk for your relaxing stay in the Dells! We are glad that you were able to relive your childhood and revisit us again! Rooms 70 and 71 are some of our largest rooms and they are GREAT for a larger family w/ the fully equipped kitchen and picnic table right outside your door. Our new playground by our cottages is now all set for family fun! Have a great fall season and we hope to see you and your family again very soon. If you would like the same rooms,....please book early as these are very popular room choices and availablity is limited. Thanks again! Brad
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family had a really nice stay here this past weekend and we plan on returning for our next visit to the Dells. The entire facility is clean and well-maintained, with plenty to keep our toddler entertained - playground (appeared to be new), 2 large pools and a kiddie pool, plus the gameroom! Room was very clean and comfortable.. great place to come home to. And the free water park passes were quite a bonus - included with our room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Love your Trip Advisor code name...ChicagoBlackHawk! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and we look forward to accommodating you on your next trip to the Wisconsin Dells Area! Our main playground by our pools is just a couple of years old and just earlier this month we replaced an older playground by our cottages with a brand new one with more expanded play features to be enjoyed by our youngest guests. Thank you again and have a great end of the summer and fall season! Sincerely, Brad
Hartford, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have stayed at this motel for the past 4+ years with our kids. The indoor/outdoor pools are great! The room has always been clean and the staff is very nice! We spent two nights here over a weekend and enjoyed it immensely.

The only downfall was some of the people that were staying at the resort who didn't pick up after themselves...shrimp tales left on the ground around the pool, beer cans, etc. I wish there was just a bit more policing by the staff for these kinds of issues. Also, it would be great if they would have no smoking policies around the immediate pool area.

We will definitely be back though! Love this motel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time write us a review and for your continued years of patronage! We are happy to hear that you have always found our pools to be enjoyable and our accommodations clean w/ a friendly staff. We do however apologize for some disrespectful guests that were staying here over the weekend while you and your family were here (I believe I know which weekend you are referring to). I realize that as busy as we are that we really do need additonal groundskeeping and maintenace staff to cover addtional shifts as it's only my wife and I on staff after 4 pm which can handle issues outside of the front desk. During my 24+ years in the business in addition to growing up in the business...I have been asked the question of what I dislike most about this business? The answer is an easy one...disrespectful guests. We don't have much of a problem...however we do get occasional guests that are. We do apologize for them. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to accommodating you again next summer and have a great fall season! Sincerely, Brad

Been to Black Hawk Motel? Share your experiences!