“Great 1st time stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Hawk Motel

You added Black Hawk Motel to your Saves list
Black Hawk Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   720 Race Street, P.O. Box 15, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Genoa City, WI
“Great 1st time stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Planned a girls weekend for a large room with 3 beds... Last minute we had one person cancel and I was able to change our room to 2 queens without any issues.

The room was clean and plenty big enough for our group of 4 women. They did offer wristbands for Chula Vista but we were good just laying by the motel pool, which was great too.

The Black Hawk is at the end of town, but within walking distance.

We were already talking about making this a yearly event!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BlackHawkMotel, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and for choosing Black Hawk Motel! We are happy that you found us to be a great stay for your girls weekend. We like to accommodate our guests the very best way that we can, so we were happy that you we were able to downgrade you to a smaller room. We look forward to being a part of your girls weekend tradtion as you are set to join our many repeat guests. Thanks again and have a great rest of the summer! Sincerely, Brad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Polish first
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I had a few bad experiences here at the Black Hawk. We had to leave the motel in the middle of the night. I will not mention what occurred because the staff and owner of the motel were very nice. If he, the owner, works on resolving the issues...then the black hawk will again be a shining star. I stayed at this motel when I was a child. I wanted my kids to experience the Dells the way I did when I was a kid back in the 70s...no over crowded water parks...just a small mom and pop motel with a nice pool and diving board. Maybe in the future we will try and stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello, Thank you for your review and we apologize for the inconvenience and that you decided to leave at midnight. We have had many issues arise in our 68+ years of being in business and I want to say Thank You to the gentleman (David) whom I worked with on your two issues. I have the philosophy that life's to short so why not be nice and it's always more pleasant when guests are easy to work with...as David was. Regarding your issues...you and your family registered at 2 pm and checked in shortly after. Over 9 hours later..at 11:15 pm two issues were brought to my attention. I was told you discovered a cockroach in your room and crawling on a family member. I apologized and explained that we have Wisconsin Pest Control treat our property on a monthly basis, I didn't believe we have a problem as no complaints in your room before and it may have entered from the outside or traveled in w/ a prior guests food. I explained Insects are a problem, but we do address them. I explained that we have insects in our house...David replied "we all do". Second issue was that a child pulled a clean towel out of the towel rack and seen a spot...thought it may be feces? I explained that I was just about positive this was not the case...that Vicky (who has been with us 12 years) does not but dirty towels in a towel rack. I believed it was a rust stain...we do get rust stains on towels and turn them into rags...however we do miss them sometimes as we are no where near perfect and David replied "you can't be" and said Vicky seems like quite the "task manager". I asked him to bring this towel to the office at check out time and he did not...upon entering your room later that night, I found a towel w/ rust on it and no other soiled towels, expect for the ones that were used for the pools and showering. I also sprayed for addtional cockroaches and seen none, and no other ones were discoved by your family, or by other guests since then. The next morning...Ray from Wisconsin Pest Control identified the bug as an Earwig and a common problem w/ their accounts and stated that upon my spraying, would have flushed them out if they were anymore. Upon check out I asked how everything was..besides these two issues and was not told of any other issues that you may have had. David stated he "was in the military and slept in and around alot worse things" and he wanted to stay...however the women in his family won the vote. I stated I totally understood and that the kids may have the "hibbee jimpbee's"...I did not take this personal and also could not move you to a different room because we were sold out. I was then told that "as far as I am concerned...this place is better than the Kalahari or Wilderness, I appreciated how you let us bring our cooler to the pool". I again apologized for the inconvenience, we are not perfect and realize we will never please everyone, this is a tough business and life is tough sometimes. I was happy to hear that your stay could not of been horrible up until 11 pm, because no other complaints of any issues that you may have had...meaning that our pools were clean, warm and enjoyable, everything in your room was clean and in working order, bathroom was clean w/ hot water, your reserved parking space was available at all times, you received friendly customer service at check in and thoughout your stay and our other guests were friendly. Best Wishes, Brad
Griffith, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here for the first time over the 4th of July week. We have come to the Dells every year, for the past 5 years, and this has been our favorite place so far. I had heard about it previously, but having young boys (now 8 & 4) we weren't sure if this would be "fun enough" for them. We'd always look for the hotels with some type of on site water park. Big mistake. After staying at the Blackhawk, the kids have also said this was their favorite. It truly felt like your home away from home. They *loved* having the park area to play on, the arcade, the pools & hot tub. My 8 year old was especially excited about the diving board.

As for me, to be honest, I'm never really comfortable staying away from home, as I have heard horror stories about bed bugs, filthy rooms, etc. However, the Blackhawk gave me instant peace of mind with the cleanliness of their rooms & I really enjoyed staying here. My sons usually have horrible allergies when we stay at hotel rooms, probably because of all the"fresheners" they use to mask the odors. There was no issue with their allergies at all here. No musty smell to the room. Extremely clean, newly remodeled, immaculate bathroom. I even looked at the mattress and there wasn't a stain to be found! (yes, I am that person!) One of our favorite attributes to the room was the little outdoor "porch" area to sit. My husband and I spent lots of time out there, both watching the kids play, and at night after they were asleep. We are also huge coffee drinkers, and loved that they had coffee on hand all day! The "Chula Vista" wristbands were a nice touch as well, because it gave us the opportunity to play at a large waterpark area, without spending a fortune.

As for the staff, they couldn't have possibly been more friendly and accommodating. Every person we encountered was pleasant & if we had any questions, or were looking for advice, they were more than happy to help. You can tell that there is a great sense of pride and a desire to keep their guests happy. Even the housekeepers were sweet enough to arrange our sons stuffed animals in cute positions on the pillows, as a thoughtful extra touch.

Assuming the rates will not skyrocket, we plan to make this our new home away from home, and have no desire to look for any other place to stay at the Dells!! A++ on every level!

Room Tip: We loved the room we had, which was right across from the office & park area (# 16)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BlackHawkMotel, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we truly appreciate it! We do take great pride in our business and believe in constantly making upgrades to our property. Room #16 is one of our Two Queen Superior rooms and has been a highly reguested room for over 40 years. It makes us feel great that the kids enjoyed their stay with us more that than the waterpark resorts. We as well are huge coffee drinkers and we believe in providing coffee all day long...from 7 am until 11:30 pm. Although the cost of doing business is always going up...I can assure you that our rates will never sky rocket as we have always believed in keeping our rates reasonable, in return providing an affordable vacation or getaway for our guests. Thanks again and we hope to see you next year. Until then...have a great rest of the summer! Sincerely, Brad
Plainfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was our third stay at the Back Hawk motel. After years of staying at other motels and the big resorts, we will never stay anywhere except the Black Hawk. Close to town, clean, friendly, a great value, comfortable beds (not like the lumpy, broken-down ones I paid a fortune for at a couple of the expensive resorts), reserved parking at your door, free waterpark passes to Chula Vista, and yes, it always brings me back to childhood memories of family vacations in the Dells. There is something so retro in the whole feel, and yet my 21 year-old daughter and her friends love it as well. Everyone, staff and guests, are smiling and friendly - I've never even heard anyone complaining! I'll be dreaming all winter of our stay next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Colleen, Thanks for your review and for being one of our many repeat guests here at the Black Hawk...we truly appreciate it! Great to hear that you like everything about us and we bring back memories of your childhood. We love that our retro style is even a popular hit with your daughter. We look forward to seeing you again next year and it you want the same room or a certain room...please let us know and we will try and accommodate you! Until then...have a warm winter and sweet dreams! Sincerely, Brad
Miller, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Staying at the Black Hawk Motel was like stepping back into a childhood memory of the family station wagon loaded down and staying in the roadside motel. This place was clean, friendly, well situated and the staff was friendly and helpful. Recommendations for places to eat and things to do were spot on and we had a pleasant stay in the Wisconsin Dells.

Room Tip: We were glad we were on the second floor and away from the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Love the title of your review! We have had many guests and reviews comment on how we remind them of their childhood. The time of having fun on summer vacations and the stress free life and daily grind of work and raising a family...some days I wish I could go back and be a child again! It's great to hear that our recommendations of area attractions and restaurants were spot on. We have our favorite restaurants...which we love to recommend as well! Thanks again for your review and we hope to accommodate you again! Sincerely, Brad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place! Already planning our next trip back! Pools were great and fun for all ages! Very well maintained!!! We had such a great experience-my only suggestion would be more hooks in the rooms. (It was that great!!)

• Stayed July 2013
Hello and Thank you very much for your review and for your suggestion of having more hooks in our rooms. This is a great suggestion and is definitely something that we will look into this offseason. We are all about family and budget friendly and our family thanks you for choosing the Black Hawk and we hope to see you on your return trip to the Wisconsin Dells area! Thanks again! Brad
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place is great (just like all the other reviewers are saying). We had a double queen room that was close to the office. The beds were comfortable, the overall atmosphere was great, great location. My kids loved that the indoor pool and arcade was open until 11:30 pm and the outdoor pool until 10. it was a great place to end the day after all the tourist activities we did during the day. The retro look of the motel was neat. Normally when I think of retro, I expect it to be old as well. This place has been kept in great shape though. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We are all about retro and modern in one and have lived by the theory of putting profits back into the business...in fact we have been doing this as a family since 1945. Great to hear that the kids loved the late pool hours on our heated indoor pool and retro arcade. I believe that 11:30 is the latest closing time for any indoor pool in the Wisconsin Dells area. My Dad set this closing time years ago as many guests would attend the Tommy Bartlett Ski Show and other night activities and return around 10 - 10:30 pm and want to take a refreshing swim before bed time. When it's hot like it has been lately...I even like to keep the outdoor pool open until 10:30 pm. Thanks again and we look forward to accommodating you on your return trip to the Dells. Sincerely, Brad

Been to Black Hawk Motel? Share your experiences!