“Gorgeous weather offset marginal spa experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sundara Inn and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sundara Inn and Spa
You added Sundara Inn and Spa to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Gorgeous weather offset marginal spa experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I want to preface this review by saying all the employees I encountered did a terrific job. However, there is serious room for improvement in the spa facilities management. My girlfriend and I took a weekend in the Dells as a quick getaway. We decided to spend all of Saturday getting some R&R. When we arrived to check in for the day there was a short wait in the lobby. There were clearly a lot of people being checked in. We were then sent to the locker room area where there was a much longer wait to be assigned a locker, robes, slippers etc. The ladies in the locker room were doing their best and were very pleasant, it was just high traffic. That was the overall theme of the day. Extremely high traffic. The ritual spa area was always full of people and the pool deck had no vacant chairs available. When we went outside to use the pool and hot tub we had to put our robes and slippers either on the ground, or in the quiet meditation area...well away from our view. The line for food and and drink was a joke. It took over an hour for us to order and get our food. The saving grace for the management is that the weather was so beautiful it made waiting in the pool in 70* weather not so bad. Our actual Spa services were amazing. The massages etc were top notch and would have been well worth the price had we been able to take better advantage of the other facilities. It did not feel like a calm, relaxing experience. It was loud and crowded. Not at all what I was expecting or paying for. I think in the future if it is not going to be adequately staffed, there should be scheduling changes made to ensure the level of service you are clearly being charged for. Additionally, if they are going to continue to schedule that many people to use the facilities, there needs to be expansions made to the dressings rooms, pools, and ritual areas. Basically all of the public, co ed areas. The employees interacting with the guests were great, the quality of the spa was also very good. It was just more of a party scene than a spa retreat.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife and I went for a long weekend to just get away for bit during a long Wisconsin winter. It was a peaceful and beautiful setting. Had a great time. The room service steak was as good as any of the restaurants in the Dells that we have found.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I took advantage of an April, mid-week special, staying two nights in a "luxury" suite for $209/night before taxes. This was not a normal getaway for us and even at the discounted rate, more than what we usually spend, but because it was some rare alone time for us, we splurged. I had been given a massage as a gift last summer and was taken in by the relaxing atmosphere then, and promised myself I'd bring my husband back. We were able to get in our room two hours early (although we could've used the spa even if we couldn't get in our room) and had help with our bags by a lovely man named Ricard. When I booked our room, I guess I didn't realize it but our room was HUGE! There was a loft upstairs, with bed (and romantic, four-poster drapes) and full bath (including multi-jet shower) as well as bed, full bath (another muti-jet shower,) gigantic waterfall whirlpool, sunken living room with fireplace, sofa, table, TV and deck with two lounge chairs downstairs. There was a mini-bar type area with small sink, Keurig (& K-cups) and mini fridge. The fridge has a "lock" on it which, Ricard told us, was only to signify that the fridge was cleaned, stocked and ready for use, NOT to charge us when we broke the seal and we were certainly encouraged to use it. Contrary to what was said in another review, you are only charged for what you use from the fridge. We were still able to fit bottled water, beer, veggies and leftovers in the fridge, although they had many snacks and drinks available for purchase if you want. Ricard showed us around our room, instructing us how to use everything, which was really nice. They even provide a Bos CD alarm clock with remote as well as three different relaxing instrumental CD's.
The unlimited use of the spa was fantastic. There is a "purifying bath ritual" which includes a shower and sandstone scrub, a eucalyptus steam room, large hot tub and cool plunge. There are ample dry towels and cold (ice covered) washcloths available in this area. Adjacent is a "quiet room" apparently for meditation, reading, pondering... I even saw a woman stretched out, sleeping. In this room, there is usually an attendant keeping refreshments filled... coffee, tea, hot water, cucumber water, granola, fruit, and -my absolute favorite- hot Jaggery tea. This is a deliciously sweet, nutritious tea that I'd never even heard of before but will look for at home. There are also magazines and newspapers available, along with sofas, chaises and rocking chairs. Through the quiet room is the outside pool area. The pool is very warm, almost bathtub temperature, and has a couple corners with deep pockets (5'6") and several jets, presumably for a full body "massage." The infinity edge is a nice place to relax and visit. There is also an outside hot tub, propane-fueled fireplace, lounge chairs and rocking chairs. There is a small bar area and an attached serenity garden for absolute silence and meditation. While there is no "garden" in this area, but only lounge chairs, it is nice for those who want total peace. The locker rooms, which you must pass through to get to the lobby and elevators, were also staffed and stocked while I was there. They have lockers for those not staying at the hotel (you get to chose the code) and the showers have shampoo, conditioner and body wash. The vanity area is fully loaded with complimentary, organic bath and body products. Any time I can slather my wet hair with top-of-the-line, $32-a-bottle leave-in conditioner, I will not complain! There are hair dryers, q-tips and even combs available. While I was in the locker room, the attendant, Missy, noticed I was wearing our "room" robe instead of the "spa" robe (which is thicker) and she offered me a new, dry, spa robe and immediately had new room robes sent to our rooms. Seriously, we were back up to our room in about 4 minutes and the robes were already on the bed! The locker room also has a swimsuit spinner which almost completely dries your suit in about 30 seconds.
While at Sundara, we had room service twice. What a wonderful feature, to not have to dress and simply have wonderful, nutritious food brought right to our room! It only took about 10-15 minutes from when we ordered and all the food was delicious- truly gourmet. Between the two of us, we enjoyed a gyro, salmon BLT, steak sandwich, hamburger, poached pear and gelato, all of which were delicious. They have tons of gluten-free options as well as several green veggie drinks for the health-conscious. For breakfast, we took advantage of the complimentary breakfast served in the Rotunda on the second floor. That, too, was super. They offered plain scrambled eggs as well as "loaded" scrambled eggs with spinach, asparagus, peppers, onions, etc; pancakes and syrup; oatmeal and brown sugar; Kashi cereal; Chobani greek yogurt; sausage and lots of very fresh fruit including blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, melon, grapes, pineapple. Of course coffee, organic teas and juices were also available. On our second night, we finally decided to get out of our robes and take advantage of the coupon we received at check-in for the nearby Field's Restaurant. We called the front desk and the nice woman answering the phone made our reservations and arranged for a ride. At 5pm, Ramon drove us to the restaurant in a beautiful black Lexus SUV. Ramon and all of the staff at Sundara were completely gracious, humble and seemed thrilled to be serving us. It's strange for people like us to have doors opened for us wherever we went! Our dinner at Field's was fantastic and our server even called Ramon when we were done to pick us up.
Interestingly, we noticed that there are very few hard lines or sharp corners at Sundara. The walls and railings in our room as well as hotel hallways are all curved, with soft lines and warm tones. Even the pool isn't a square, but has lots of turns and curves. The lounge chairs are waved and many of the rooms are circular. Relaxing music is piped throughout the hotel and everything smells so good! It's truly an experience for all the senses!
I've read some other reviews about guests being encouraged to be quiet. My husband and I shared great conversation throughout our stay at normal or slightly below normal tones and never had an issue with this. You do sign a quiet "contract" when you arrive and there are no children under 18 allowed which, frankly, is kind of nice when you're on a Mom-and-Dad getaway. There are signs posted throughout, warning against pictures and cellphones in public areas (which unfortunately didn't stop a lady near us at breakfast one morning) so I think it's probably best to not try to test this. I think there is certainly value in a raucous, laughing girls weekend, for example, but if that's your goal I would think that perhaps a Mall of America hotel may be a better choice. Either that, or reserve loud visiting for your room. For a romantic, solitary, relaxing or quiet getaway, I can't imagine a better place. Definitely a splurge, but in my humble opinion, absolutely worth it for a special occasion. I, admittedly, may be easier to please than the average reviewer, but I cannot imagine giving Sundara any fewer than 5 stars and I realize this review is longer than should be humanly possible, but I think Sundara merits all the gushing!

Green Features: Love that they have their own (seasonal) garden and participate in a CSA!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Lake Bluff, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This the best place to stay for rest and relaxation (R&R)! I stayed two nights with my husband for our anniversary. The spa prices are a bit pricey but worth experiencing. Don't forget to try the Jagger tea, it's very tasty. They offered complimentary transportation to three restaurants, Fields, Sarento's, and Monks. Breakfast is free for overnight guest. They also offered complimentary wristbands to the waterparks and pools at the Wilderness Resort.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Onalaska, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My mom, sister and I spent a good portion of our day here in early in March. The outdoor pools were heat and wonderful - even in March - in Wisconsin! :) Each of us had a combination of massages, facials and some pedicure. All of the service themselves were amazing and we will be back. After the morning services we step outside to have lunch on the patio. It was relaxing and comfortable - the food was amazing (try the beet salad!) It was a great chance to enjoy the sun, although given I'd just had a facial, I got a little redder than I would have liked. Wish I could have been offered some sunscreen. Our ONLY complaint was the locker room. It was small, cramped, the attendants were a bit overbearing and there was nowhere to have a bit of privacy to change. It was too much. I have been to better spas, but this was definitely in my Top 3.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very nice day with the with the ladies The ladies at the front desk desk were a bit rude. BUT Missy was very nice Our services were awsome. The relaxing rooms was not relaxngbecauswas there was too much traffic

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Cherry Valley, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a sad, sore disappointment. My husband and I stayed for a day and a night here seeking to relax and enjoy serenity after a particularly stressful winter. We arrived to a very busy desk that was checking in people as well as assisting others walking around in robes with booking spa appts, etc. It is a very small area for this high volume of traffic. The staff were stressed by the volume of people traffic and we were rushed along, as was everyone else. Not one smile from the any of the folks working at the desk. Our room was lovely when we arrived. The bed was beautiful and comfortable. The waterfall hot tub did exactly that - the water fell onto the carpeted area from simply sitting in the hot tub and filling to the correct point. The multiple head shower was a joke as 1/2 of the shower did not work at all. There is a mini fridge but only used as a wet bar. Lots of booze is stored in there but it is zip tied shut - so no storing anything of yours without a charge for breaking the zip tie. No microwave. Wanting to salvage what we were both so looking forward to for weeks, we donned our bathing suits and silly robes and headed down to the bath walk and infinity pool. We stopped again at the only desk, as we were instructed to to do as our first trip here, and again, the staff could not be less interested. They pointed us to some large doors and said someone will guide us from the other side. So we bite. My husband was met by - NO ONE. I was met by another really unhappy staffer. She led me around the locker room trying to weakly up-sell me differing products (very relaxing, right?) Meanwhile, my husband stands in his locker room waiting-awkwardly- and then decides to find his own way out to the other side where we all meet up. We enter another tight area with a hot water/tub/area in front of us is filled full of loud women carrying on a highly energized raucous conversation. Now wait a minute - we signed something at check in that was a quiet contract. This was not very quiet or peaceful.This was a clear violation of their own contract - and nothing was done. We then went into a large common area with others in their bathrobes - looking lost, and the nervous energy was palpable. We escaped to the infinity pool. There was also a nice hot tub outdoors full of another set of women. However - these ladies were respectful and quieted down when we came out. Thank you fellow patrons. It was dead of winter, near 5 degrees, and we were swimming. That was nice. We saw a deer frolicking about and that was sweet. Then a young man emerged with the largest zoom camera and began to take mad photos of this moment of serenity. Cameras are prohibited out there by the way, or so that's the rumor. Finding ourselves really fighting becoming frustrated at that point, my husband and I traversed our way back through this maze of confusion and noise and went back to our room. We went out to dinner at The Field's and this was truly nice. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant for that special occasion. The service was top notch at the restaurant and the food was delicious. Then back to the non service oriented spa. It was 20 below zero that night with a wind chill of 30 below. My husband is a smoker, but, being long time guests in the Dells, he is well versed that all hotels are non-smoking. He smoked his cigarette on the way back to the Sundara, making sure it was done before we hit thier property - as is stated in their rules, which we, as adults, follow. We walked into a very dark reception area and go straight to the elevator- about 5 feet away from the very small reception desk, where one lone worker was busy with paperwork. She did not look up nor acknowledge us in any way. I was the one to say - hello! She looked up at us annoyed, and said, hey. We went back up to our room and no more entered the room and the phone rang. It was the happy lady at the desk. She called to remind us that Sundara is a non-smoking facility and smoking in our room is not permitted. I asked why we were receving such a reminder. She said that someone reported the smell of smoke from outside of our room- just at that moment. Funny thing is, we literally just walked into our room and the hallway was entirely empty. But - now - the rest of the night is ruined for me as I feel paranoid that there is someone lurking outside my bedroom door! CREEPY. The manager of the spa had sent us a lovely email asking us to contact him at anytime if he could help to make our stay better. I sent him an email that evening outlining this exact event. I have received no answer to this day. It's now 2 months later. We checked out in the morning and I was asked by the hurried person at the desk if I would be staying for any spa services that day. I laughed and said, "I don't think so. I have not been impressed with the service." She said, as if reciting from memory, "okay, thanks for staying and come again." No- I will not be coming again. I will not be spending hundreds of dollars and daydreaming about a peaceful getaway to Sundara ever again. I will tell all my family, my friends, and all of my nursing cohorts, physician cohorts, to not come. They will tell all their patients, families, friends.......you get my drift. DO not waste your money. The Wilderness at the peak of summer would be more peaceful.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!