“Expected the extra mile, got the short cut” 2 of 5 stars

920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #25 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Expected the extra mile, got the short cut”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

A group of my girlfriends and I met at the spa for a day spa experience. Several in the group had been to the spa for overnight visits in the past and had talked up the experience as a fantastic luxury experience. So my expectations were high going in. However, nothing really came close to meting them. I had scheduled their day spa package plus an add on manicure.

The massage was nice, but not great. The masseuse was respectful and considered requests. The treatment room, however, was trying too hard. The music and the waterfall and the overwhelming scents and sheet texture and everything, while trying to be relaxing, ended up at sensory overload.

The facial technician was more going through the motions than making it an experience or even asking questions if i was ok with the scent/pressure/products. At the end of the session, she left me with a 1/4 inch of lip product, with no instructions for how or when or if to remove it, for example.

The mini/pedi were average, the pedi was better than the manicure. I had indicated to the technician that I was trying to grow my nails out, but she cut them to match the shortest on my hands. By the time I realized what was happening, it was too late. The pedicure was nice, but no better that what I get at my local salon, and for nearly twice the price, I would have expected the extra mile.

The pool was nice, but small. If I had been there on a warmer day, it would have been overcrowded. I am tall, so lounge chairs are almost never comfortable, but these were worse than average.

The ritual was nice, but I couldn't breath in the steam room for the over abundance of eucalyptus oil in the air. The cold plunge pool for after the hot tub is set to 72, my local lap pool is cooler than that and while it felt cool on the initial plunge, it shortly felt warm. I did enjoy the sand scrub, and even purchased a container on the way out.

I know it is a resort in a tourist trap, but even with that expectation, I found things overpriced for the level of service and quality. 8$ for a smoothie, 14$ for an appetizer, and the alcoholic drinks were astronomical.

I take luxury cruises every other year (Cunard, Seabourn, others) and was expecting a similar experience for the price and the hype. After tip and a product purchase, it was over 500$ for the day, without even staying at the hotel. In the future, I will be spending my money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We travel to different vacation destinations 2 -3 times each year. Most of our lodging is with our Club Wyndham or RCI timeshares. They are nice, but we have really never found a place that was so perfect we wanted to go back. Our quest is over. We stayed in the 2-br Wyndham Presidential cottages at Sundara Spa. Everything was perfect. Incredible. The best ever. Heaven. Peaceful. Elegant. Restful. Go to the spa. Pricey but superb!

Room Tip: Lots of options, depending on whether you want action near water parks or peace near the spa.
Green Features: As with all timeshares, we receive towel with a no exchange policy. You wash at your convenience in the condo.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Returning visit with a girlfriend July 10th was as wonderful as the 1st visit. Our day was quit booked with being pampered. After our 2 hour drive the day would start off with entering the shower, sauna and bath area this area helps to get your body/mind ready your spa day...

Before we headed to our 80 minute Seasonal Body Polish and Massage we had to nab some Jaggery Tea that they serve in the "quiet area"....love it !! I still have not mastered the same great flavor as Sundara :(
With my body polish I requested a deep tissue massage (first one) And probable would not request a deep tissue any time in the near future...But Mel adjusted the massage so I was more comfortable. Usually I don't chat through a massage but I took in lots of knowledge about different types of services that are offer at Sundara (my girlfriend always books so have never looked at the menu) Mel has been with Sundara for years . Would defiantly recommend Mel for anyone wanting a "deep tissue massage" he would be your man...

Meet out in the "quite area again waiting for our next service...which would be a 35 minute Purely Organic Facial.... The product they use "Ama la" love it . I have no idea how a facial can be sooooooo relaxing compared to a full body massage. But Heather in that 35 minutes that I was in your hands, my mind found that perfect place...until you told me I was done...but all good things must come to an end.....I could of slept like a baby...WONDERFUL !!!

Finishing up with our 2nd service we headed to the outside pool area. With being pampered for
2 1/2 hours our bellies were pretty darn hungry. I love going with my girlfriend to restaurants ...she had 5 older brother living at home as a young girl .....she had to fight for her food...LOL Between the 2 of us we have 5 different plates....and can you say yummy and very full ...

After relaxing for 1 1/2 hours outside by the lovely pool area ( weather was perfect) it was time to get our 50 minute Seasonally Organic Pedicure... Lori made my feet and toes .......so pretty and feeling great.

We were only home for a few days when I called up my friend and said "we need to book our next spa day"....So I looked at the menu this time....OMYGOSH what to choose.

Took on the challenge of choosing... and this will be our next service.....

New! Marma Meditation Facial
80 Min.
This service incorporates our “Sundara Sleep Experience” into the facial by adding a feather bed to the table and wrapping your feet in a blanket of warmth. The skin is cleansed, exfoliated and nourished using organic products. You're treated to a massage of the feet, legs, hands and arms and once the facial is complete, the insomnia relief process begins. Marma points will be activated along the neck, jaw line, face and forehead, by using essential oils to induce relaxation and reduce tension. Your therapist will then slip out of the room leaving you time for rest, sleep, or personal meditation. You'll be awakened by the gentle sound of tingsha bells.

We will be receiving this in the first week of August .....very much looking forward to this !!

Almost looking forward to winter...I said almost.. I WILL be getting "The Ultimate Chocolate Experience" . This is under the bath treatments.

Thanks again Sundara.....for pampering us...

DC

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife wanted to take a babymoon and had been here before. I had never stayed at a spa before and was apprehensive when they made me sign an agreement to keep silent in common areas of the spa. But now I'm a believer. After a massage or two and the cleansing circuit I've never felt better. Nice big rooms, friendly staff and a great location in the woods has me looking forward to my next trip back here. It might be a while though because they don't allow children.

Room Tip: rooms on the front have a screened in porch
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I spent all weekend here and it was just pure relaxation! They offer such wonderful options from products to spa services. Our room was amazing, and the scenery was exquisite! Everything they offer is pretty much natural and or organic as far as food and products go. It was an absolutely unforgettable experience! Prepare to spend lots of money though...

Green Features: For all the money we spend there I feel like a portion of it should go to some kind of benefit for wildlife. I'm sure there's a very good charitable program that Sundara could easily donate to. They can also sell natural products that donate some of their profits to benefit our environment.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Spent one night and really enjoyed. Rooms are amazing. Pool area very small but not many guests at hotel. Very clean and great location. Perfect for jogging or walking. I would definitely
stay again. If you want a relaxing stay in the Dells, this is the place.

Green Features: No thoughts on this practice. I don't have any opinion.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I booked a luxury suite at this hotel for a friend's bachelorette party. The whole party loved this place. The staff were friendly and answered any questions we had. The stay included unlimited use of the bath ritual. We had access to the bath ritual from 8 am when the spa opened, to 9pm when the spa closed. Breakfast was included, which was an extensive all you can eat buffet of breakfast items. Juice, water, coffee milk and tea were also included. Sundara is part of the Wilderness resort, so we had access and free shuttle to all of their water parks. We were allowed to bring our own food and drink into the room. We did not touch the mini fridge in the room since there was a seal on the fridge. If the seal was broken, you would be charged for the items in the fridge. The snacks on the counter were the same. If they were opened or missing, the resort charged the price to the room. We used a cooler to keep our food and beverages cold. The walls were sound proof. There were two floors to the luxury suite and two separate bathrooms. The bathroom was furnished by Kohler. A king size feather bed was on each floor, and there was a screened porch and sitting room with a fireplace. There was a huge whirlpool tub in the middle of the room on the first floor, with a curtain that could be pulled for privacy when using the bathroom. Plush robes and sandals were laid out for use during the length of our stay. There was complimentary turn down service. We had to ask the front desk for the kitchen to bring us ice. There were no ice machines. In the spa itself, everyone was provided with a scrub to apply and wash off with the shower they have in the spa. Then you go into a steam room to sweat our your toxins. After sweating, you take a cool shower to rinse off, then you go into the hot tub infused with aromatherapy oils, then into a cold plunge pool. Cool compresses were provided, along with towels, sandals, a locker and a robe. Swimsuits were required. The spa bath ritual was coed. After relaxing with the bath ritual, there was a quiet room that provided fruit, granola, lemon lime water, coffee and different kinds of tea. The pool was located right outside of the quiet room. An outdoor bar provided alcoholic beverages for extra charge right next to the pool. Overall we had a real relaxing girls night. I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our suite was on the 3rd floor and very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!