I never write reviews, but I felt I should share on this one. It is expensive, and I believe people should get what they pay for! I am an avid spa goer, and this place is definitely NOT 5-star. It is just slightly better than average, and that goes for the food, customer service, accommodations, and treatments. How and why:
ATMOSPHERE: Only somewhat relaxing. The property is a small space and suffers from overcrowding. No spacious feel here. Dressing rooms are nonexistent. If you want privacy, you are forced to use a bathroom or shower/dressing area combo, which is small, and there are only three of them. You will also get your clean/dry clothing at least a little damp in the process.
ACCOMMODATIONS: The place needs refurbishing, particularly the carpeting, which is strewn with stains, and the upholstered furniture, which is stained and sagging. The showers suffer from poor plumbing. While taking a ten minute shower I experienced at least a dozen instances in which the water went from pleasantly warm to cold to hot. No predictability whatsoever.
FOOD: The food is lackluster and service is SLOW. 40 minutes for a portabella mushroom burger??? Tasted OK, not great. I had chips on the side, which was less than a vending machine's size worth. Seating space with a table is very limited. I was there on a weekday, and I can only imagine how fierce the rivalry gets for a table at which to eat on the weekends.
MASSAGE: I had the signature massage, and it was ordinary. The masseuse had a hard time adjusting pressure. There was painful hard massage, and then there was barely felt massage, not much in between.
The massage tables are less than generously sized and mine was not heated. My arms kept rolling off the sides, and I am an average sized female. The tables are also poorly padded, and they do not have a variety of bolster sizes, which means table comfort is not tailored to the individual's needs. I suffer from a low back condition and found it impossible to lay on my back more than 15 minutes, after which time I was in more pain than when I first laid down! I actually had to cut the massage short because of it.
In addition, there was repair work being done nearby my room, and I continually heard power tools, loud talking, pounding, and finally vibrations so strong they were vibrating my massage table! When I complained upon checkout, I was only given a 30% discount on the service.
COST: Another thing which I find in very poor taste is the obligatory 20% tip. It is automatically added to the massage fee, which is steep, and you are also slightly pressured upon checkout to up the tip. I am a generous tipper, but I do not like to be forced to tip, and I don't know anyone who does. I believe this is the establishment's way of paying their employees, and I have never encountered this situation elsewhere. Just plain poor taste.
A less than relaxing experience overall, and that is what I'm paying the big bucks for. If Sundara wants to be in the big leagues, they're going to have to up their game.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 26-acre parcel is lush with sky-high pine trees and natural Wisconsin stone outcroppings. Respect for the natural resources is at the soul of Sundara's green practices. Our heated outdoor infinity edge pool, sculpted fireplace, waterfalls and curving deck connect seamlessly with the tranquil environment. The main building is representative of some of the most striking Organic-style architecture in the Midwest. Inside, the principles of Feng Shui contribute to a soothing environment. Our spa treatments incorporate the finest organic products from around the world. The Sundara Spa signature collection even draws ingredients indigenous to the area for an authentic experience. Our spa cuisine features the fruits of labor of fresh, local, seasonal ingredients. Sundara is drawn from the Sanskrit word for "beautiful." We interpret that as beauty flowing from wellness. Our carefully selected and highly trained service providers are healers at heart and passionate about their work, putting customer satisfaction at the center of all they do. Whether you choose to stay in one of our 26 elegant suites, or perhaps just linger for the day, we hope it will be a transforming experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Sundara Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sundara Spa Wisconsin Dells
- Sundara Hotel Wisconsin Dells