“Overall a Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
MSP
“Overall a Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I went for our anniversary after the recommendation of a couple friends. We weren't sure what to expect and we completely enjoyed ourselves, soaking up as much R&R as humanly possible! We were surprised that people not staying overnight could also use 100% of the facilities (those who had booked appointments-only for the spa). The resort was beautiful, but the fountain wasn't working as you drive-up (also the one that the infinity edge of the pool overlooks). The staff was incredibly kind, knowledgeable, and professional. We did a package and loved every piece it included (sparkling wine, assortment of appetizers that were delicious, and a slice of the flourless chocolate cake). We also did a massage the second day and both felt it was a bit of over-kill (for us at least). I do think that one (1) overnight is plenty, so we'll do that next time, rather than staying two (2), as you can arrive as early (and leave as late) as you'd like to utilize the spa ritual (AMAZING!) and pool area. Upon checking out we were disappointed to see a $0.75 fee for making a call to order pizza, a recommendation from the front desk due to the kitchen already being closed (10PM) and a $15.00/day resort fee, which we were never told about. We've done a lot of massages and the therapists at Sundara were by and large the most professional and experienced that we've encountered. They even spun-dry and heated our wet bathing suits, so they were dry and toasty when we put them back on post-massage!

Room Tip: We had a premier room (the regular room) and it was sufficient for the two (2) of us. We even got t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
A getaway to Sundara does have so much to offer. Our goal is to be as thorough as possible when making reservations. We believe it's those small details that set us apart from other destinations. Our staff is trained to communicate clearly regarding our policies and fees at the time of reservation, including; $15 nightly resort fee, taxes and our gratuity policy. It appears we may have missed a couple points in this case, and for that we are truly sorry. We also apologize that the phone call fee was a surprise, there is a card next to the phone indicating the fee schedule. Our maintenance staff is double checking that those are in all of the suites. We want you to know that we've added your concerns to our list of items to re-visit during our staff meetings and new hire training. We do our absolute best to review every detail of every reservation and communicate our policies and fees clearly to avoid any surprises like these. Regarding use of the facility, detailed information is included on our website - all guests have unlimited access to the entire facility. We feel this is something that creates value in an experience at Sundara as opposed to visiting a day spa or hotel spa. A resort fee allows us to provide the following amenities at no additional charge or implementing a facility use fee; wireless internet access throughout the entire resort, ample-free parking, daily newspaper delivery, nightly turndown service, in-suite coffee and tea, a spa breakfast buffet, chauffeur service, and unlimited use of the entire facility including Purifying Bath Ritual. We're so sorry some of these things took you by surprise. We are glad, however, to hear that overall you had an enjoyable anniversary stay. We do look forward to celebrating with you again next year, or when your travel plans bring you back to the area. Stay energized.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I just got back from an overnight at Sundara, and it was wonderful!! I had thought about staying there in the past, but didn't based on the mixed tripadvisor reviews. So, when I finally went, it was with a group of women - not my selection, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Wow - it was awesome, I loved every minute!! Beautiful facilities, very nice staff, amazing treatment, great robes. Yes, pricey and relatively small. But the size adds charm and intimacy. Feels like a private club or retreat.

Aside from the price, my only gripe would be the quality of the included breakfast. Okay, but nothing special (so so scrambled eggs, bacon, grocery store quality bagels). C'mon, Sundara, you can do better.

Still, this didn't phase my experience and I left super happy and relaxed. Already planning a visit with my husband.

• Stayed May 2013
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We're always looking for ways to improve and have added the spa breakfast buffet to our list of items to revisit. We look forward to seeing you again when your travel plans bring you back to Wisconsin Dells area. Stay energized!
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went with a girlfriend a few weeks ago. We know how to have a good time, so we did! Regardless of the rude, upon rude service we contended with throughout our short overnight visit we remained positive. I will say that pool staff we had was terrible, I was unconvinced they had any interest in being there or making $ or cocktails. They were rude, rolling eyes, acting disrupted upon an order; this is unacceptable service when dropping $450 bucks for an overnight. Also the gardens are dirt patches with little maintenance, very sad. Maintenance and service in general has been compromised, this is perhaps my 3rd and last visit unless things improve.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We’re sorry this third visit fell short for you with regards to the service at the pool. I would like for you to speak with our guest services manager. Would you contact me offline and I’ll put you in direct contact with him? My e-mail is cscheel@sundaraspa.com.
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

First, I must commend the management staff, they assisted my with a really old, unused gift card for $250.00. I went with a friend for a girls' night get-away and we had a really nice time. The room was large and clean (Plush level room), the grounds were immaculate and the staff was attentive and friendly. We ordered several appetizers for dinner and the pancetta and truffle oil flatbread was fabulous. The culinary department, with a bit of pleading, let me order the Cobb salad for dinner and it was great. We sat in the large, bubbly outdoor hot-tub and swam in the heated pool before and after dinner. It was very relaxing and a real value for the Dells area. I've stayed at the Great Wolf and paid far more for a nasty, dated room with cheap decor and beds. I also really enjoyed and appreciated complimentary water, teas and coffee. A nice breakfast buffet was also included and the bacon was top-notch. It was these small touches that really made it an exceptional experience. Without a doubt, this is the nicest place to stay in the Dells area. Granted, most people come to the area with kids and thankfully, they're not allowed. I booked a winter two-night return before I left to make sure it wasn't booked. I was pleasantly surprised and I look forward to returning this winter! Again, thanks to a customer service oriented management staff for letting me use my old gift card. It led to another booked weekend and lots of recommendations. Book on-line, the rates are reduced versus booking by phone. We were only there for one night and didn't have any spa services, but just the one night of swimming and relaxing did wonders to rejuvenate a new mom who needed one night away. I have high standards and I would recommend Sundara over several leading resorts in the state to anyone and for the Dells it is a great value as well. I will come back to Sundara over Lake Geneva or Green Lake for a nice, high-end get-away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We thrilled to hear about your experience with us and we cannot wait to share it with our staff and management team. Hope to see you again soon!
Menomonie, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my 4th visit to Sundara. Every other time I have been with friends and the place is alive and filled with girlfriends. This time it was more couples (probably due to the fact it was Memorial Day Weekend). I love Sundara. The prices are crazy high, but I love the time there.

It is the best massages and facials I have ever received. They do seem to cut your time a bit short. They get you from the waiting area on the minute and you are back in the waiting area again on the minute your service ends. This doesn't allow for time bringing you to and from your room and getting dressed and undressed.

You won't believe you are in the Dells!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are great at this location.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy anniversary to you! We're so delighted to learn when guests choose Sundara to celebrate their special occasions. We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding spa service times and as a friendly reminder our treatments do include a consultation so that your spa therapist may best meet your individual needs. That said, we will absolutely share your comments with our Spa Director to make sure all staff are consistent and following protocol. There is immense value in staying at Sundara , and we appreciate that some guests are traveling on a budget. Our rates do change mid-week vs. weekends and all guests have unlimited access to the entire facility; including our indoor bathhouse with Purifying Bath Ritual, Relaxation Lounge, outdoor infinity pool, outdoor hot soak, our new Tranquility Garden. We also offer a spa breakfast buffet with each overnight stay. And some exciting news to share, this summer we're adding a mediation trail and hammock retreat in the woods. Again, we do appreciate your comments and thank you for sharing your special day with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps on your next anniversary?
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our first time visiting Sundara. My wife brought me to Sundara for Mother's Day for a little R&R time. We stayed two nights in the Luxury Suite and had a blast ;-} We had food and drinks at the pool, and another highlight of our trip was doing the bath ritual. We are planning on visiting Sundara again next Mother's Day and bring my mother-in-law and her sister! Thanks T

Room Tip: We had the Luxury Suite. Great view of the pool and very spacious!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
So happy to hear your Mother's Day getaway was relaxing. Hope to see you next year...or sooner perhaps!
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I went with 5 girlfriends for a 2 night stay and we stayed in a private villa. We had some problems with the price being changed from when it was booked 6 months ago to when we got there and that is the reason for 4 stars rather than 5. I really had to argue with the manager to get the price adjusted to what I was originally quoted. I also got charged extra for a service ($12 more than the 20% gratuit) but they fixed it once I noticed it. Other then that the stay was awesome. The services we all received were good to great (depending on which one of my friends you would ask) and the villa was very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent experience. We are so very sorry for the billing trouble you experienced but delighted to hear it was worked out, we do apologize for the trouble. We're revisiting our protocols to make sure everything is in order and that errors like this don't happen. Glad to hear the rest of your stay was enjoyable. We do hope you'll think of Sundara again when you're travel plans bring you back to the area.

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!