“No doing it for me anymore” 3 of 5 stars

920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #20 of 75 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Madison, Wisconsin
“No doing it for me anymore”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went with a girlfriend a few weeks ago. We know how to have a good time, so we did! Regardless of the rude, upon rude service we contended with throughout our short overnight visit we remained positive. I will say that pool staff we had was terrible, I was unconvinced they had any interest in being there or making $ or cocktails. They were rude, rolling eyes, acting disrupted upon an order; this is unacceptable service when dropping $450 bucks for an overnight. Also the gardens are dirt patches with little maintenance, very sad. Maintenance and service in general has been compromised, this is perhaps my 3rd and last visit unless things improve.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We’re sorry this third visit fell short for you with regards to the service at the pool. I would like for you to speak with our guest services manager. Would you contact me offline and I’ll put you in direct contact with him? My e-mail is cscheel@sundaraspa.com.

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

First, I must commend the management staff, they assisted my with a really old, unused gift card for $250.00. I went with a friend for a girls' night get-away and we had a really nice time. The room was large and clean (Plush level room), the grounds were immaculate and the staff was attentive and friendly. We ordered several appetizers for dinner and the pancetta and truffle oil flatbread was fabulous. The culinary department, with a bit of pleading, let me order the Cobb salad for dinner and it was great. We sat in the large, bubbly outdoor hot-tub and swam in the heated pool before and after dinner. It was very relaxing and a real value for the Dells area. I've stayed at the Great Wolf and paid far more for a nasty, dated room with cheap decor and beds. I also really enjoyed and appreciated complimentary water, teas and coffee. A nice breakfast buffet was also included and the bacon was top-notch. It was these small touches that really made it an exceptional experience. Without a doubt, this is the nicest place to stay in the Dells area. Granted, most people come to the area with kids and thankfully, they're not allowed. I booked a winter two-night return before I left to make sure it wasn't booked. I was pleasantly surprised and I look forward to returning this winter! Again, thanks to a customer service oriented management staff for letting me use my old gift card. It led to another booked weekend and lots of recommendations. Book on-line, the rates are reduced versus booking by phone. We were only there for one night and didn't have any spa services, but just the one night of swimming and relaxing did wonders to rejuvenate a new mom who needed one night away. I have high standards and I would recommend Sundara over several leading resorts in the state to anyone and for the Dells it is a great value as well. I will come back to Sundara over Lake Geneva or Green Lake for a nice, high-end get-away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We thrilled to hear about your experience with us and we cannot wait to share it with our staff and management team. Hope to see you again soon!
Menomonie, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my 4th visit to Sundara. Every other time I have been with friends and the place is alive and filled with girlfriends. This time it was more couples (probably due to the fact it was Memorial Day Weekend). I love Sundara. The prices are crazy high, but I love the time there.

It is the best massages and facials I have ever received. They do seem to cut your time a bit short. They get you from the waiting area on the minute and you are back in the waiting area again on the minute your service ends. This doesn't allow for time bringing you to and from your room and getting dressed and undressed.

You won't believe you are in the Dells!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are great at this location.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy anniversary to you! We're so delighted to learn when guests choose Sundara to celebrate their special occasions. We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding spa service times and as a friendly reminder our treatments do include a consultation so that your spa therapist may best meet your individual needs. That said, we will absolutely share your comments with our Spa Director to make sure all staff are consistent and following protocol. There is immense value in staying at Sundara , and we appreciate that some guests are traveling on a budget. Our rates do change mid-week vs. weekends and all guests have unlimited access to the entire facility; including our indoor bathhouse with Purifying Bath Ritual, Relaxation Lounge, outdoor infinity pool, outdoor hot soak, our new Tranquility Garden. We also offer a spa breakfast buffet with each overnight stay. And some exciting news to share, this summer we're adding a mediation trail and hammock retreat in the woods. Again, we do appreciate your comments and thank you for sharing your special day with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps on your next anniversary?
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our first time visiting Sundara. My wife brought me to Sundara for Mother's Day for a little R&R time. We stayed two nights in the Luxury Suite and had a blast ;-} We had food and drinks at the pool, and another highlight of our trip was doing the bath ritual. We are planning on visiting Sundara again next Mother's Day and bring my mother-in-law and her sister! Thanks T

Room Tip: We had the Luxury Suite. Great view of the pool and very spacious!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
So happy to hear your Mother's Day getaway was relaxing. Hope to see you next year...or sooner perhaps!
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I went with 5 girlfriends for a 2 night stay and we stayed in a private villa. We had some problems with the price being changed from when it was booked 6 months ago to when we got there and that is the reason for 4 stars rather than 5. I really had to argue with the manager to get the price adjusted to what I was originally quoted. I also got charged extra for a service ($12 more than the 20% gratuit) but they fixed it once I noticed it. Other then that the stay was awesome. The services we all received were good to great (depending on which one of my friends you would ask) and the villa was very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent experience. We are so very sorry for the billing trouble you experienced but delighted to hear it was worked out, we do apologize for the trouble. We're revisiting our protocols to make sure everything is in order and that errors like this don't happen. Glad to hear the rest of your stay was enjoyable. We do hope you'll think of Sundara again when you're travel plans bring you back to the area.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our first trip to Sundara. We had considered it before, but chose Kohler instead based on a friends recommendation. Sundara beats Kohler in many areas but not all. We really enjoyed the room at Sundara.

We stayed in the mid level room on the third floor. The major thing that bothered me that we have come across before in other top resorts is no door for the toilet. We are not very fond of this trend and not sure why it is done. The bathroom is incredibly spacious and my wife loved the separate sit down vanity area. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet, so we both slept very well.

The free breakfast is basically a high quality continental breakfast. There were a couple hot dishes and then the typical fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. The only real difference was the quality and healthiness of the food.

The spa area and experience is amazing. All the areas are coed except the locker rooms. The "ritual" was fun and we did it at least once every day we were there. The infinity pool was cool and looked like you could swim into the woods. I would definitely agree with some of the reviewers who complained about the noise. The indoor hot tub and outdoor pool and hot tub can get loud. As far as I could tell they don't enforce the quiet in any way. Other times the areas were empty and it was like having your own private sanctuary. It just depended who and how many people were in each area. My only other complaint is the shower in the locker room. There are all these amazing water features in the spa area and in the rooms and then it is like they ran out of money and just through the cheapest shower they could in the locker room. It really looks out of place and is like a sore thumb in an otherwise amazing place.

Room Tip: The whole area is quiet, so pick a room class based on what amenities you want.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We’re always pleased when guests provide specific feedback as you did. It helps us improve. We continue to put emphasis on maintaining a “tranquil” environment, with our conversation-free Tranquility Garden patio and soon-to-debut woodland Meditation Trail both perfect examples. I have already shared your comments regarding noise with our spa staff, as our “peace and quiet” philosophy is so very important for the enjoyment of all guests. And the showers in the men’s locker room have been added to our facility list to review. Glad to know you enjoyed many aspects of your visit. Hope your journeys will bring you back to Sundara soon.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent 3 nights here over new year's eve. We thoroughly enjoyed our peace, tranquil and solitude. We shared a couples massage. My husband went for full body and I chose the head/factial. It was relaxing laying together in a private room with a fireplace. Our food was healthy and super fresh. We ventured out to the outdoor hot tub in the freezing cold. It was a special moment to remember with the dark crisp air and steam rising from the hot tub. A filted light in the sky. Very pleasurable. We love the sand scrub, the smell is fabulous. Always take some home with us just to keep the memories alive. We return often to the spa. Highly recommend it. And while there, try Fields for a nice dinner.

Room Tip: We loved the rooms that face the woods. Wildlife to watch out there in the snow.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
So delighted you enjoyed your New Years getaway - it sounds like it provided a nice start to the new year. We love the descriptive words you used in your review; tranquil, peace, relaxing, healthy and super fresh, dark crisp air, pleasurable - you could write advertisements for us, and that's the experience we wish each and every guest to experience! Glad also, to hear you did venture out to the outdoor hot tub in the cold - it's truly one of our favorite winter Sundara experiences. We too, love our woodland view suites and were glad to learn you recommend them - they do offer wonderful views of the woods and wildlife. Looking forward to making more memories with you, come back and see us again real soon!

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!