“Mother's Day gift” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Naperville, Illinois
“Mother's Day gift”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our first time visiting Sundara. My wife brought me to Sundara for Mother's Day for a little R&R time. We stayed two nights in the Luxury Suite and had a blast ;-} We had food and drinks at the pool, and another highlight of our trip was doing the bath ritual. We are planning on visiting Sundara again next Mother's Day and bring my mother-in-law and her sister! Thanks T

Room Tip: We had the Luxury Suite. Great view of the pool and very spacious!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
So happy to hear your Mother's Day getaway was relaxing. Hope to see you next year...or sooner perhaps!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I went with 5 girlfriends for a 2 night stay and we stayed in a private villa. We had some problems with the price being changed from when it was booked 6 months ago to when we got there and that is the reason for 4 stars rather than 5. I really had to argue with the manager to get the price adjusted to what I was originally quoted. I also got charged extra for a service ($12 more than the 20% gratuit) but they fixed it once I noticed it. Other then that the stay was awesome. The services we all received were good to great (depending on which one of my friends you would ask) and the villa was very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent experience. We are so very sorry for the billing trouble you experienced but delighted to hear it was worked out, we do apologize for the trouble. We're revisiting our protocols to make sure everything is in order and that errors like this don't happen. Glad to hear the rest of your stay was enjoyable. We do hope you'll think of Sundara again when you're travel plans bring you back to the area.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our first trip to Sundara. We had considered it before, but chose Kohler instead based on a friends recommendation. Sundara beats Kohler in many areas but not all. We really enjoyed the room at Sundara.

We stayed in the mid level room on the third floor. The major thing that bothered me that we have come across before in other top resorts is no door for the toilet. We are not very fond of this trend and not sure why it is done. The bathroom is incredibly spacious and my wife loved the separate sit down vanity area. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet, so we both slept very well.

The free breakfast is basically a high quality continental breakfast. There were a couple hot dishes and then the typical fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. The only real difference was the quality and healthiness of the food.

The spa area and experience is amazing. All the areas are coed except the locker rooms. The "ritual" was fun and we did it at least once every day we were there. The infinity pool was cool and looked like you could swim into the woods. I would definitely agree with some of the reviewers who complained about the noise. The indoor hot tub and outdoor pool and hot tub can get loud. As far as I could tell they don't enforce the quiet in any way. Other times the areas were empty and it was like having your own private sanctuary. It just depended who and how many people were in each area. My only other complaint is the shower in the locker room. There are all these amazing water features in the spa area and in the rooms and then it is like they ran out of money and just through the cheapest shower they could in the locker room. It really looks out of place and is like a sore thumb in an otherwise amazing place.

Room Tip: The whole area is quiet, so pick a room class based on what amenities you want.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We’re always pleased when guests provide specific feedback as you did. It helps us improve. We continue to put emphasis on maintaining a “tranquil” environment, with our conversation-free Tranquility Garden patio and soon-to-debut woodland Meditation Trail both perfect examples. I have already shared your comments regarding noise with our spa staff, as our “peace and quiet” philosophy is so very important for the enjoyment of all guests. And the showers in the men’s locker room have been added to our facility list to review. Glad to know you enjoyed many aspects of your visit. Hope your journeys will bring you back to Sundara soon.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent 3 nights here over new year's eve. We thoroughly enjoyed our peace, tranquil and solitude. We shared a couples massage. My husband went for full body and I chose the head/factial. It was relaxing laying together in a private room with a fireplace. Our food was healthy and super fresh. We ventured out to the outdoor hot tub in the freezing cold. It was a special moment to remember with the dark crisp air and steam rising from the hot tub. A filted light in the sky. Very pleasurable. We love the sand scrub, the smell is fabulous. Always take some home with us just to keep the memories alive. We return often to the spa. Highly recommend it. And while there, try Fields for a nice dinner.

Room Tip: We loved the rooms that face the woods. Wildlife to watch out there in the snow.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
So delighted you enjoyed your New Years getaway - it sounds like it provided a nice start to the new year. We love the descriptive words you used in your review; tranquil, peace, relaxing, healthy and super fresh, dark crisp air, pleasurable - you could write advertisements for us, and that's the experience we wish each and every guest to experience! Glad also, to hear you did venture out to the outdoor hot tub in the cold - it's truly one of our favorite winter Sundara experiences. We too, love our woodland view suites and were glad to learn you recommend them - they do offer wonderful views of the woods and wildlife. Looking forward to making more memories with you, come back and see us again real soon!
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Been going for years, but our past visit was disappointing. They no longer seem to focus on the quiet atmosphere. Even in the relaxation/reading room people were laughing loudly. At one point the noise level in the indoor hot tub was so loud we almost left. The tranquility garden area is a great idea, but again the noise just traveled over since people were talking so loudly. My biggest disappointment was when I filled out the survey asking for feeback, we never got a response. Apparently they only want the glowing reviews and ignore the rest. As I said we have been there frequently but something seems to have changed in their philosophy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
First, allow me to sincerely apologize that you did not receive follow-up after submitting a guest survey. We do take all comments very seriously - good and bad - and view challenges as opportunities to improve our overall experience. If you would still like someone to follow-up with you please contact me offline at cscheel@sundaraspa.com.

In celebrating our 10 year anniversary, things have absolutely changed. Many positive changes have been implemented over the years to improve the overall experience, which is always our main focus. It sounds like we may have missed the mark during your visit. Our guest services staff has been trained to monitor the quiet spa spaces more frequently reinforcing peace and quiet - at times they do get resistant guests. The Tranquility Garden, an outdoor space adjacent to the pool open during warmer months, offers additional seating, and as importantly, the space was designed for peace and quiet and a place for quiet meditation and reflection. Guests visit Sundara for many different reasons - some celebrating special occasions - we do our best to monitor all spaces respectfully in order for everyone to have an enjoyable experience.

Our philosophy remains the same as it always has; to provide a world class spa experience in the Midwest. Our mission is wellness in all we do; our therapists are healers at heart. We offer organic cuisine, organic spa and salon services, and a silent sports throughout our 26-acre campus. We do hope you'll give us an opportunity to review the changes we've implemented recently when your travel plans bring you back to the area.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I love Sundara! I have been there several times, but every singld one has been special! When I visited this year I noticed some new services and new products....I was very pleased with both! I highly recommend "Ocean Essence"-it was incredibly relaxing, and my therapist ( Velina) was just lovely.....
Thank you, Sundara!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind words and it means the world to us. We'll be sure to share your comments with our staff as well, and hope to see you again soon!
Stoughton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

After caring for my Mom through her death, I let Sundara care for me and care they did. .The spa services were wonderful and there can't be anything better than the outdoor hot tub in the snow. The food was excellent and I stood in my window the first night and watched a deer just at the edge of the woods. It was so peaceful and relaxing. As a solo woman, I felt very comfortable and the quiet zones here are appreciated. You can truly relax with no small talk obligations. Yoga, a fire, relaxing bath rituals, feather beds, massages, great food, a good book & soothing music ..........I don't know if I can wait until October when I'm scheduled again.

Room Tip: No tips really. My window looked out on the woods edge, but there can't be a bad view. Thermost...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I am so moved by your experience, and honored you chose Sundara to care for you during your time of loss. I sincerely hope your stay provided a bit of peace and calm to your healing heart. Be well and be good to yourself. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you for sharing your story!

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!