“Things have changed” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rockford, Illinois
“Things have changed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Been going for years, but our past visit was disappointing. They no longer seem to focus on the quiet atmosphere. Even in the relaxation/reading room people were laughing loudly. At one point the noise level in the indoor hot tub was so loud we almost left. The tranquility garden area is a great idea, but again the noise just traveled over since people were talking so loudly. My biggest disappointment was when I filled out the survey asking for feeback, we never got a response. Apparently they only want the glowing reviews and ignore the rest. As I said we have been there frequently but something seems to have changed in their philosophy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Guest Relations Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
First, allow me to sincerely apologize that you did not receive follow-up after submitting a guest survey. We do take all comments very seriously - good and bad - and view challenges as opportunities to improve our overall experience. If you would still like someone to follow-up with you please contact me offline at cscheel@sundaraspa.com.

In celebrating our 10 year anniversary, things have absolutely changed. Many positive changes have been implemented over the years to improve the overall experience, which is always our main focus. It sounds like we may have missed the mark during your visit. Our guest services staff has been trained to monitor the quiet spa spaces more frequently reinforcing peace and quiet - at times they do get resistant guests. The Tranquility Garden, an outdoor space adjacent to the pool open during warmer months, offers additional seating, and as importantly, the space was designed for peace and quiet and a place for quiet meditation and reflection. Guests visit Sundara for many different reasons - some celebrating special occasions - we do our best to monitor all spaces respectfully in order for everyone to have an enjoyable experience.

Our philosophy remains the same as it always has; to provide a world class spa experience in the Midwest. Our mission is wellness in all we do; our therapists are healers at heart. We offer organic cuisine, organic spa and salon services, and a silent sports throughout our 26-acre campus. We do hope you'll give us an opportunity to review the changes we've implemented recently when your travel plans bring you back to the area.

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I love Sundara! I have been there several times, but every singld one has been special! When I visited this year I noticed some new services and new products....I was very pleased with both! I highly recommend "Ocean Essence"-it was incredibly relaxing, and my therapist ( Velina) was just lovely.....
Thank you, Sundara!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind words and it means the world to us. We'll be sure to share your comments with our staff as well, and hope to see you again soon!
Stoughton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

After caring for my Mom through her death, I let Sundara care for me and care they did. .The spa services were wonderful and there can't be anything better than the outdoor hot tub in the snow. The food was excellent and I stood in my window the first night and watched a deer just at the edge of the woods. It was so peaceful and relaxing. As a solo woman, I felt very comfortable and the quiet zones here are appreciated. You can truly relax with no small talk obligations. Yoga, a fire, relaxing bath rituals, feather beds, massages, great food, a good book & soothing music ..........I don't know if I can wait until October when I'm scheduled again.

Room Tip: No tips really. My window looked out on the woods edge, but there can't be a bad view. Thermost...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I am so moved by your experience, and honored you chose Sundara to care for you during your time of loss. I sincerely hope your stay provided a bit of peace and calm to your healing heart. Be well and be good to yourself. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you for sharing your story!
milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Sundara is truely in the top 5 spa resorts in the nation. Spacious,clean,secluded,professional staff,romantic,and memorable. Money well spent. I only wish we had known about this place years ago. We have been and will continue to tell our friends about Sudara.

Room Tip: Larger is better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you kindly for your review and positive comments. Come see us again soon to energize your soul!
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Yes it is not cheap to enjoy Sundara. No, the building is not brand new anymore. Still so worth it. My new favorite is the spa cusine. Available poolside, in the dining area or servied in your room, the food is truly up to european standards like the rest of the resort

Room Tip: The Luxury suite, while pricey offers the most comfort, mini fridge, screen porch balcony overlookin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and it's so validating to hear you enjoyed the cuisine (and noticed a change). Our Chef and his staff have all been working diligently to improve the menu and offer more local, organic and seasonally fresh options. We're hoping to release our own cookbook in the future too, so do watch for that! We sincerely thank you for your review and comments and hope to see you again soon.
Mundelein, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First time vist for me, my wife was there before. Checked in Feb 7th for one night. My wife loved it! Enjoyed the spa treatments, "quiet room", atmosphere, etc...For me it was OK. Sat in the hot tub, cool tub and outdoor pool the whole "bath ritual" process pretty much all day, over and over again. Did not like walking around in a bath robe and slippers all day...very wierd for me. Loudi talking is discouraged and there is no cell service allowed except in your room. The rooms are great! Huge and very comfortable. Food service awesome, try the salmon grilled sandwich for lunch! Staff very nice and professional. I can understand why the Sundara is THE place to go for Spa (if you're into that). Glad I went, very difficult to relax when there is nothing for ME to do.

Room Tip: Had a ground level room, I would prefer to have stayed on the 2nd or 3rd floor, only because of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We're delighted you and your wife enjoyed your visit. In warmer months there are many outdoor activities you might enjoy such as; hiking, biking, championship golf, canoeing, stand-up paddle boarding, rock climbing, zip-line tours and more! In colder months if you enjoy the outdoors we suggest snow shoeing, cross country skiiing, downhill skiiing, and there are even winter rock climbing adventures. Hope to see you again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a wonderful weekend we had at the beautiful Sundara Spa. We had a luxary suite there were four of us, plenty of room and we enjoyed the ritual bath several times. I thought it was a bit pricey so can't be a regular, but will definately go again. I had a nice massage, I thought it a bit short for the price plus they add a gratuity but I would do it again. I loved the outdoor infinity pool with the pine tree background. Breakfast was ok also.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
So happy to hear you'll be back and thank you for leaving a review! Check our website often for specials and if you can sneak away Sunday through Thursday the rates are typically lower. We're celebrating our 10 year anniversary this year and will be posting anniversary specials on our website and Facebook on the 10th of each month. Be well and stay energized!

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!