“relaxing and fun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sundara Inn and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sundara Inn and Spa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Madison, Wisconsin
“relaxing and fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a wonderful weekend we had at the beautiful Sundara Spa. We had a luxary suite there were four of us, plenty of room and we enjoyed the ritual bath several times. I thought it was a bit pricey so can't be a regular, but will definately go again. I had a nice massage, I thought it a bit short for the price plus they add a gratuity but I would do it again. I loved the outdoor infinity pool with the pine tree background. Breakfast was ok also.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
So happy to hear you'll be back and thank you for leaving a review! Check our website often for specials and if you can sneak away Sunday through Thursday the rates are typically lower. We're celebrating our 10 year anniversary this year and will be posting anniversary specials on our website and Facebook on the 10th of each month. Be well and stay energized!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We've been visiting Sundara for a few days every year or two since they opened and after this last visit I can honestly say that we won't make the effort to come back. It is no longer worth the three hour drive. First, the peace and tranquility is gone, there are large groups of guests talking loudly and playing with their phones in the public areas. Second, it's nowhere near as clean as it used to be. The bedside tables and wood ledges in our room were covered in a layer of dust. There was even a bobby-pin from some previous guest on the bathroom counter in our room. The spa waiting area (supposed meditation room) had wet cushions and people sprawled-out laying on the couches. There was even a woman picking her bare feet on one of the seating cushions who would alternate between picking her feet and then chewing her fingers...or chewing something she picked off of her feet....yuck. The massage therapist was good, but they automatically add 20% gratuity to the service, so an 80 minute massage cost a total of $228, while the midweek nightly rate for the less than clean room was $269. Lastly, my husband and I both developed sinus issues whenever we entered our room, so my guess is that the maintainance of the HVAC system and filters has probably declined as well along with the rest of the property. My advice - skip Sundara, save your money, and take a trip to Kohler's American Club Resort & Spa in Kohler, Wisconsin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We’re so sorry your latest visit was not everything it should have been. I appreciate the specifics of your post and have shared with both housekeeping and maintenance. Preserving the peace and tranquility of Sundara is uppermost in our minds too. Last year we added a conversation-free Tranquility Garden patio adjacent to the pool, knowing guests crave quiet. Our spa staff has been alerted to be more forthcoming in informing guests that our policy is no cell phones in common areas. Am glad to know the massage service was good, as I sincerely believe our therapists are among the best in the U.S. We’ve recently renovated so perhaps that temporarily affected HVAC in your room; I’m checking with our engineering staff on that point. Hoping we can re-earn your patronage. If you’d like to contact me directly, and I do hope you will, please send an e-mail to this address: cscheel@sundaraspa.com.
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I surprised my daughter on her 18th birthday with a day trip to Sundara. We had never been there before. We were rudely greeted after we had taken a picture of the outside of the building on our way in not knowing there was a no picture picture policy. We arrived ina blizzard and they docked us for being 5 minutes late by shaving that off of our massage time. The desk folks definitely need a lesson in customer service and friendliness. The massage was good and the masseuses were very kind. My daughter had a hair in her drink at lunch and could not chew threw the tough steak in her sandwich. The service was slow and there were drips of food down the walls and crumbs on the floor. The bill was $56 for the two of us. No adjustments for the hair. We had a pedicure and manicure that was fine. I sent Sundara a letter explaining our experience over 2 weeks ago, and never received a response. We spent $540 on the day, and felt angry when we left. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
A birthday spa treat should be special and it sounds like it fell short. We certainly have had more than our share of snow in Wisconsin this winter. In order to maintain the schedule for all our guests who’ve reserved spa services, we do have a policy of ending the service on time. I’m pleased to know the massage and massage therapists were good - that feedback means a great deal to the spa staff. I’ve shared the lunch specifics with our culinary staff. If you would you like to contact me directly at cscheel@sundaraspa.com? It would give me a chance to address your concerns.
Waunakee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The spa bath ritual is what makes me want to go back. I haven't been able to afford it for quite some time though. The marma massage was awesome. Very peaceful and relaxing. I wish I could afford an overnight with spa services.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! We're delighted you enjoyed your visit and your massage. The feedback means the world to our staff. If you can sneak away mid-week rates tend to be lower than weekend rates. And do watch our website for specials as we update it often. It is our 10 year anniversary this year and so we'll be posting anniversary specials on the 10th of each month on our website and Facebook. Hope to see you again, stay energized!
Waterloo, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I visited Sundara for our one year wedding anniversary. The location is great tucked back in the woods, we saw several deer wandering around throughout the weekend. Since this was only my second time in the Wisconsin Dells I was expecting the place to be packed like all the mega-indoor waterparks, but apparently January is the time to visit because the whole place was basically deserted. We had the pool all to ourselves, never waited for the spa, very relaxing.
The room was fantastic though at night we could hear a strange whirring noise coming from our ceiling.
Staff was all very friendly & helpful. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone needing some time away - no cell phones allowed!

• Stayed January 2013
We always love to hear we delivered on meeting and exceeding guest expectations. Sundara is definitely an unexpected destination in Wisconsin Dells...a well deserved one though! We can't thank you enough for your feedback, it really does mean so much to our staff. I have mentioned the whirring sound to our engineering team to look into as well so thank you for that. Winter is a favorite time of year to visit, especially with a fresh blanket of snow. Do come back soon and stay energized!
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My friend treated me to a night at Sundara along with a massage. There was a fabulous deal on the room that weekend. I have never been to a spa but always wanted to go to one. I think I've been spoiled because can't imagine a nicer experience. Cleanliness, great staff, my risoto with lunch was cold on purpose and i didn't like that, the huge suite room was beautiful and roomy and loved the comfy chairs by the fireplace, massage with sarah wonderful, quiet room charming and peaceful.

One disappointing thing with the 2 level suite is there is a huge jacuzzi in the downstairs bathroom, there is a curtain you can pull closed around it, but the toilet is in there too. it's in the back of the bathroom around a corner but no one i know would want to use that toilet while there are other people in the suite. there's a door to the bathroom but half the bathroom is just a curtain, kinda wierd. my friend said she wouldn't even be comfortable using it if only her husband was in the room. we both trekked to the upstairs bath when we needed the toilet.

but all in all, the place is wonderful, peaceful and you can feel comfort in their posh robes and quiet your mind. it was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Our goal is to help guests relax and so we're delighted you were able to get a bit of peace and quiet during your visit. We thank you for your feedback and do take it very seriously; both the good and the bad. I'm so glad you enjoyed your service with Sarah, she'll be delighted to know. I do apologize that you were disappointed in the bathroom arrangement. It is something we've given thought to and continue to brainstorm on. Hope to see you again soon. Be well and stay energized!
Broomfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I live in Denver, and yes, I still fly to Wisconsin at least once a year to relax and have great services! I have been coming to Sundara since they opened 10 years ago. Their spa services are amazing.....I highly recommend the Shiro Dhara and the Marma Massage treatments. These are services that you just cant get anywhere.....ask for Mel T.

Room Tip: Get the "Amoda" suite if you can afford it. There are usually deals available.