“Bad customer service and a hairy drink- Not worth the money.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sundara Inn and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sundara Inn and Spa
You added Sundara Inn and Spa to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #24 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Bad customer service and a hairy drink- Not worth the money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I surprised my daughter on her 18th birthday with a day trip to Sundara. We had never been there before. We were rudely greeted after we had taken a picture of the outside of the building on our way in not knowing there was a no picture picture policy. We arrived ina blizzard and they docked us for being 5 minutes late by shaving that off of our massage time. The desk folks definitely need a lesson in customer service and friendliness. The massage was good and the masseuses were very kind. My daughter had a hair in her drink at lunch and could not chew threw the tough steak in her sandwich. The service was slow and there were drips of food down the walls and crumbs on the floor. The bill was $56 for the two of us. No adjustments for the hair. We had a pedicure and manicure that was fine. I sent Sundara a letter explaining our experience over 2 weeks ago, and never received a response. We spent $540 on the day, and felt angry when we left. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
A birthday spa treat should be special and it sounds like it fell short. We certainly have had more than our share of snow in Wisconsin this winter. In order to maintain the schedule for all our guests who’ve reserved spa services, we do have a policy of ending the service on time. I’m pleased to know the massage and massage therapists were good - that feedback means a great deal to the spa staff. I’ve shared the lunch specifics with our culinary staff. If you would you like to contact me directly at cscheel@sundaraspa.com? It would give me a chance to address your concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Waunakee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The spa bath ritual is what makes me want to go back. I haven't been able to afford it for quite some time though. The marma massage was awesome. Very peaceful and relaxing. I wish I could afford an overnight with spa services.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! We're delighted you enjoyed your visit and your massage. The feedback means the world to our staff. If you can sneak away mid-week rates tend to be lower than weekend rates. And do watch our website for specials as we update it often. It is our 10 year anniversary this year and so we'll be posting anniversary specials on the 10th of each month on our website and Facebook. Hope to see you again, stay energized!
Waterloo, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I visited Sundara for our one year wedding anniversary. The location is great tucked back in the woods, we saw several deer wandering around throughout the weekend. Since this was only my second time in the Wisconsin Dells I was expecting the place to be packed like all the mega-indoor waterparks, but apparently January is the time to visit because the whole place was basically deserted. We had the pool all to ourselves, never waited for the spa, very relaxing.
The room was fantastic though at night we could hear a strange whirring noise coming from our ceiling.
Staff was all very friendly & helpful. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone needing some time away - no cell phones allowed!

• Stayed January 2013
We always love to hear we delivered on meeting and exceeding guest expectations. Sundara is definitely an unexpected destination in Wisconsin Dells...a well deserved one though! We can't thank you enough for your feedback, it really does mean so much to our staff. I have mentioned the whirring sound to our engineering team to look into as well so thank you for that. Winter is a favorite time of year to visit, especially with a fresh blanket of snow. Do come back soon and stay energized!
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My friend treated me to a night at Sundara along with a massage. There was a fabulous deal on the room that weekend. I have never been to a spa but always wanted to go to one. I think I've been spoiled because can't imagine a nicer experience. Cleanliness, great staff, my risoto with lunch was cold on purpose and i didn't like that, the huge suite room was beautiful and roomy and loved the comfy chairs by the fireplace, massage with sarah wonderful, quiet room charming and peaceful.

One disappointing thing with the 2 level suite is there is a huge jacuzzi in the downstairs bathroom, there is a curtain you can pull closed around it, but the toilet is in there too. it's in the back of the bathroom around a corner but no one i know would want to use that toilet while there are other people in the suite. there's a door to the bathroom but half the bathroom is just a curtain, kinda wierd. my friend said she wouldn't even be comfortable using it if only her husband was in the room. we both trekked to the upstairs bath when we needed the toilet.

but all in all, the place is wonderful, peaceful and you can feel comfort in their posh robes and quiet your mind. it was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Our goal is to help guests relax and so we're delighted you were able to get a bit of peace and quiet during your visit. We thank you for your feedback and do take it very seriously; both the good and the bad. I'm so glad you enjoyed your service with Sarah, she'll be delighted to know. I do apologize that you were disappointed in the bathroom arrangement. It is something we've given thought to and continue to brainstorm on. Hope to see you again soon. Be well and stay energized!
Broomfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I live in Denver, and yes, I still fly to Wisconsin at least once a year to relax and have great services! I have been coming to Sundara since they opened 10 years ago. Their spa services are amazing.....I highly recommend the Shiro Dhara and the Marma Massage treatments. These are services that you just cant get anywhere.....ask for Mel T.

Room Tip: Get the "Amoda" suite if you can afford it. There are usually deals available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow! We're truly honored to have you travel so far to visit Sundara! Thank you for the kind words and for your loyalty over the years. We're celebrating our 10th anniversary this year, as you know, so do watch the website and our Facebook page for anniversary specials on the 10th of each month. We look forward to having you back and thank you for sharing your positive experience with other readers! Be well!
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We've been to Sundara at least a dozen times in the past six years. I've been a few times as a day spa customer, several times overnight with my husband and a few times with my mother or friends.

I noticed the reviews really bookend from fabulous to terrible. There is a reason for this. I'll try to give you the breadth my experiences there.

This last stay, we booked their lowest level room for the first time. We decided that it was worth the extra money to upgrade in the future as we've done in the past. One of the issues with the smaller room is the lack of space to eat except on the bed. When we go there, we like to stay on the property and eat there. We haven't had a bad lunch or dinner there yet.

Breakfast continues to be a disappointment to me. But I really like breakfast and look forward to it. My husband isn't as picky. It seems on par with a continental breakfast at many chain hotels. And you can't order anything special to drink at breakfast. That is when I want the chai latte. The space for breakfast isn't very relaxing. The past few times I've been there, we either haven't found a place to sit (therefore all the more important to have more space in the room) or it feels very cramped with people bumping into one another.

The place is very well kept as far as cleanliness. The only time I found this not to be true, there were several other issues with our stay. I wrote management a letter hoping to help them address things they possibly didn't know were issues keeping them from being top tier. Management was very responsive and since then I've never seen an issue with cleanliness.

Another hole in their service is the lack of a person occasionally walking around the pool area to see if people want something to eat or drink. A few visits I've seen someone consistent. Others, you have to go in a order or hunt down someone to take an order.

The wet areas are always immaculate. I've very sensitive to weird smells, cloudy water etc when you travel and go to pools and saunas. Always clean here.

My husband and I have always leave feeling relaxed. The people working there have always been polite to us.

I've had services there before. One of the best massages ever. But the rest (a few massages, pedicures, and body scrubs) were all average. Since I live close and have a great place to go for these things at half the price and consistently better, I don't get services there much anymore.

I booked the two story room suite when I took my mother. Very spacious and nice. But the fan upstairs was so loud when it kicked in, I couldn't sleep. So if you are sensitive to noise, don't get that room. Or bring earplugs. Never had than in any of the other rooms.

Before our last visit, I was called three times with a reminder. I found this VERY irritating. One is enough. Even that isn't necessary, but would not have hit my radar. But three calls in the week before we arrived, quite annoying.

Which brings me to my point--great place in general, but they don't always hit on all pistons to consistently be classy. There is always something small that makes us kind of grin as an example of the hidden lack of polish there. Having said that, we will likely continue to use this as our quick retreat from home and look forward to it. I can see why there are discrepant reviews depending on the day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just home from a fantastic 2 day stay with Sundara. The least expensive room (we stayed in 2317) was ENORMOUS and quite comfortable. We loved the turndown service, the robes, the bed and shower; all notable and lovely. We loved our pedicures and massage, and most of all the bath ritual and quiet room. We cannot wait to come back.

As for the overall experience, it was amazing, with one tiny caveat. If you post signs all over your place saying "peace & quiet please" and "cell phones prohibited in public spaces" and then as staff do nothing at all when people aren't quiet, and are texting relentlessly, bing bing bing---it's really annoying. I don't care if you think you are special and important and the rules don't apply to you. Why won't the staff say something so other guests don't feel like they have to? Why have a rule if you aren't willing to enforce it?

The services staff, the front desk staff, the maintenance people, truly all lovely and amazing and very helpful. The food was much better than I expected, but the food service---unlike anywhere else in the facility---was unpleasant and unhelpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!