“I didn't want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars

920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #25 of 78 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
wisconsin
“I didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My friend treated me to a night at Sundara along with a massage. There was a fabulous deal on the room that weekend. I have never been to a spa but always wanted to go to one. I think I've been spoiled because can't imagine a nicer experience. Cleanliness, great staff, my risoto with lunch was cold on purpose and i didn't like that, the huge suite room was beautiful and roomy and loved the comfy chairs by the fireplace, massage with sarah wonderful, quiet room charming and peaceful.

One disappointing thing with the 2 level suite is there is a huge jacuzzi in the downstairs bathroom, there is a curtain you can pull closed around it, but the toilet is in there too. it's in the back of the bathroom around a corner but no one i know would want to use that toilet while there are other people in the suite. there's a door to the bathroom but half the bathroom is just a curtain, kinda wierd. my friend said she wouldn't even be comfortable using it if only her husband was in the room. we both trekked to the upstairs bath when we needed the toilet.

but all in all, the place is wonderful, peaceful and you can feel comfort in their posh robes and quiet your mind. it was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
SundaraSpa920, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Our goal is to help guests relax and so we're delighted you were able to get a bit of peace and quiet during your visit. We thank you for your feedback and do take it very seriously; both the good and the bad. I'm so glad you enjoyed your service with Sarah, she'll be delighted to know. I do apologize that you were disappointed in the bathroom arrangement. It is something we've given thought to and continue to brainstorm on. Hope to see you again soon. Be well and stay energized!

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Broomfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I live in Denver, and yes, I still fly to Wisconsin at least once a year to relax and have great services! I have been coming to Sundara since they opened 10 years ago. Their spa services are amazing.....I highly recommend the Shiro Dhara and the Marma Massage treatments. These are services that you just cant get anywhere.....ask for Mel T.

Room Tip: Get the "Amoda" suite if you can afford it. There are usually deals available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow! We're truly honored to have you travel so far to visit Sundara! Thank you for the kind words and for your loyalty over the years. We're celebrating our 10th anniversary this year, as you know, so do watch the website and our Facebook page for anniversary specials on the 10th of each month. We look forward to having you back and thank you for sharing your positive experience with other readers! Be well!
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We've been to Sundara at least a dozen times in the past six years. I've been a few times as a day spa customer, several times overnight with my husband and a few times with my mother or friends.

I noticed the reviews really bookend from fabulous to terrible. There is a reason for this. I'll try to give you the breadth my experiences there.

This last stay, we booked their lowest level room for the first time. We decided that it was worth the extra money to upgrade in the future as we've done in the past. One of the issues with the smaller room is the lack of space to eat except on the bed. When we go there, we like to stay on the property and eat there. We haven't had a bad lunch or dinner there yet.

Breakfast continues to be a disappointment to me. But I really like breakfast and look forward to it. My husband isn't as picky. It seems on par with a continental breakfast at many chain hotels. And you can't order anything special to drink at breakfast. That is when I want the chai latte. The space for breakfast isn't very relaxing. The past few times I've been there, we either haven't found a place to sit (therefore all the more important to have more space in the room) or it feels very cramped with people bumping into one another.

The place is very well kept as far as cleanliness. The only time I found this not to be true, there were several other issues with our stay. I wrote management a letter hoping to help them address things they possibly didn't know were issues keeping them from being top tier. Management was very responsive and since then I've never seen an issue with cleanliness.

Another hole in their service is the lack of a person occasionally walking around the pool area to see if people want something to eat or drink. A few visits I've seen someone consistent. Others, you have to go in a order or hunt down someone to take an order.

The wet areas are always immaculate. I've very sensitive to weird smells, cloudy water etc when you travel and go to pools and saunas. Always clean here.

My husband and I have always leave feeling relaxed. The people working there have always been polite to us.

I've had services there before. One of the best massages ever. But the rest (a few massages, pedicures, and body scrubs) were all average. Since I live close and have a great place to go for these things at half the price and consistently better, I don't get services there much anymore.

I booked the two story room suite when I took my mother. Very spacious and nice. But the fan upstairs was so loud when it kicked in, I couldn't sleep. So if you are sensitive to noise, don't get that room. Or bring earplugs. Never had than in any of the other rooms.

Before our last visit, I was called three times with a reminder. I found this VERY irritating. One is enough. Even that isn't necessary, but would not have hit my radar. But three calls in the week before we arrived, quite annoying.

Which brings me to my point--great place in general, but they don't always hit on all pistons to consistently be classy. There is always something small that makes us kind of grin as an example of the hidden lack of polish there. Having said that, we will likely continue to use this as our quick retreat from home and look forward to it. I can see why there are discrepant reviews depending on the day.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just home from a fantastic 2 day stay with Sundara. The least expensive room (we stayed in 2317) was ENORMOUS and quite comfortable. We loved the turndown service, the robes, the bed and shower; all notable and lovely. We loved our pedicures and massage, and most of all the bath ritual and quiet room. We cannot wait to come back.

As for the overall experience, it was amazing, with one tiny caveat. If you post signs all over your place saying "peace & quiet please" and "cell phones prohibited in public spaces" and then as staff do nothing at all when people aren't quiet, and are texting relentlessly, bing bing bing---it's really annoying. I don't care if you think you are special and important and the rules don't apply to you. Why won't the staff say something so other guests don't feel like they have to? Why have a rule if you aren't willing to enforce it?

The services staff, the front desk staff, the maintenance people, truly all lovely and amazing and very helpful. The food was much better than I expected, but the food service---unlike anywhere else in the facility---was unpleasant and unhelpful.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

From as soon as I walked in the door, I was surrounded by solace. The people were very nice and helpful and the services rendered were excellent. I was, however, very displeased with the very last part of my visit. I was in the relaxation room where my pedicure was drying and I was told that I needed to sit for 45 mins to allow my toenails to dry so that is what I did. While there, I asked about a beverage and Sally (the woman who did my pedi) sent in an older woman with glasses who obviously did not want to be bothered with my request. She actually made me get up and follow her to the locker room in order for her to get me a glass of wine. She then proceded to tell me that she wasn't part of the kitchen staff and seemed very annoyed. I was so disgusted with the fact that I just spent almost 400$ services and I was treated like I was the waitstaff and not the guest. As a result of all this, I did address this with the woman at the front desk and needless to say, she didn't even seem to care. Overall this place was very nice, but some of the staff are anything, but nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hastings, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I returned yesterday from a 2 night stay in room 2023. We booked our room for a Tuesday/Wednesday night to take advantage of lower rates, and we drove from the Twin Cities area (about 3 hours) where we left our 1 and 4 year old boys in the loving hands of grandma & grandpa. Our stay here was relaxing and rejuvenating, and we will definitely be returning here at least once a year for an annual retreat from our hectic lives.

Highlights include: the staff who were all amazing, professional, and accommodating; the room was well appointed, clean, and we loved our view into the woods; the ritual bath area, steam room, quiet area, and outdoor pool/spa area is truly amazing and we started and finished our days here even when we didn't have spa treatments scheduled; the food was great (we loved the shrimp & corizo sausage flatbread pizza and cheese tray) and the breakfasts were great; lastly, the spa treatments we received were all amazing (I did the Sundara Body Boost one day and Hands & Feet Combo massage with hot oil scalp massage the next, and she got a pedicure first day and Shea Butter Indulgence the next).

We also used the car service to go to dinner one night at Fields, and had a terrific filet meal there.

Our stay wasn't perfect, but the couple times things weren't impeccable it was quickly remedied. We did not like some grilled fish tacos we ordered which were promptly removed from our bill, and our coffee maker did not work so culinary brought us hot water and coffee whenever we wanted it.

Sundara is truly an oasis where you can quickly unwind, relax, reconnect with someone and forget about everything for as long as you stay. We left town worn out from work, parenting, and life and returned refreshed and ready to take on the world. We will be counting down the days until our next trip to this amazing spa and hotel.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights in room 2813 which is a villa suite. We checked in with complete ease and loved the reception area, a complete sense of serenity.

Room: Our villa was gorgeous. Had a full kitchen, fridge, microwave, sink, and stove top. Then a separate sleeping area. The bed was super comfy. The tv was very small and in an odd spot we understand some people don't want a tv during this time but we are big tv watchers so were a little disappointed by this. The bathroom was nice with gorgeous tile everywhere. There was a separate seating room with the enormous jetted tub and a larger tv. This room also had a desk with an awesome journal on it that guests of the room write in. I love this touch. The tub was awesome!!! This room faced the golf course. One issue we had was the construction in the villa next door. Each building had 3 villas and it appeared maybe only 3 villas total in about 4-5 buildings were occupied. So why construction would be scheduled in a villa next to an occupied room I'm not sure. After about an hour of construction noise (saws, scraping, hammering) i called the front desk. Within 30mins the noise stopped so loved they had this stopped. We were grateful but i was a little surprised that #1 it even happened and #2 they were not very apologetic about it.

Spa: loved the bath ritual and enjoyed time in the heated pool and outdoor whirlpool. I had made reservations for the Sundara tranquility spa together package Which includes a hydrating bath followed by massage followed by a facial. We did the bath then did the massage ( mel rocked he kicked my butt and it was awesome) and then we were taken back to the quiet room to wait for the facial. It was 20mins past our appointment time and still no sign of being taken in for our facial. So i went to the front desk and after a few minutes was told "we can't do these services today" needless to say I was not happy. I was told people had called in sick and others were in training. I was told they left us a message in our villa. However we had been at the spa all day so why not have our massage therapists tell us. I just don't get how it was decided that our services would be canceled we spent a lot of money on the villa and also the spa package. I was told they would give us a discount but no clue how much of a discount. When we got back to the villa we discovered there had been no message left like they had said there had been. My husband called later to find out what kind of percentage of discount they were going to give us and it was going to be 50% which I felt was very fair and appreciated this greatly but not sure why we were not told this at the start. And still don't know why ours were cancelled. We could have done the facials the day before or something had we known about being short staffed with people in training.

Other: My husband asked the front desk if they had a recommendation for somewhere to order pizza from since we wanted to have a quiet night in and the two ladies at the front desk both just said they don't eat pizza I was kind of surprised that there was not a list or that they couldn't have asked someone else what they thought. The complimentary breakfast is very good with lots of choices.

Overall a very good experience but was a little surprised with some small details. We were thankful to rest and reconnect.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!