We've been to Sundara at least a dozen times in the past six years. I've been a few times as a day spa customer, several times overnight with my husband and a few times with my mother or friends.
I noticed the reviews really bookend from fabulous to terrible. There is a reason for this. I'll try to give you the breadth my experiences there.
This last stay, we booked their lowest level room for the first time. We decided that it was worth the extra money to upgrade in the future as we've done in the past. One of the issues with the smaller room is the lack of space to eat except on the bed. When we go there, we like to stay on the property and eat there. We haven't had a bad lunch or dinner there yet.
Breakfast continues to be a disappointment to me. But I really like breakfast and look forward to it. My husband isn't as picky. It seems on par with a continental breakfast at many chain hotels. And you can't order anything special to drink at breakfast. That is when I want the chai latte. The space for breakfast isn't very relaxing. The past few times I've been there, we either haven't found a place to sit (therefore all the more important to have more space in the room) or it feels very cramped with people bumping into one another.
The place is very well kept as far as cleanliness. The only time I found this not to be true, there were several other issues with our stay. I wrote management a letter hoping to help them address things they possibly didn't know were issues keeping them from being top tier. Management was very responsive and since then I've never seen an issue with cleanliness.
Another hole in their service is the lack of a person occasionally walking around the pool area to see if people want something to eat or drink. A few visits I've seen someone consistent. Others, you have to go in a order or hunt down someone to take an order.
The wet areas are always immaculate. I've very sensitive to weird smells, cloudy water etc when you travel and go to pools and saunas. Always clean here.
My husband and I have always leave feeling relaxed. The people working there have always been polite to us.
I've had services there before. One of the best massages ever. But the rest (a few massages, pedicures, and body scrubs) were all average. Since I live close and have a great place to go for these things at half the price and consistently better, I don't get services there much anymore.
I booked the two story room suite when I took my mother. Very spacious and nice. But the fan upstairs was so loud when it kicked in, I couldn't sleep. So if you are sensitive to noise, don't get that room. Or bring earplugs. Never had than in any of the other rooms.
Before our last visit, I was called three times with a reminder. I found this VERY irritating. One is enough. Even that isn't necessary, but would not have hit my radar. But three calls in the week before we arrived, quite annoying.
Which brings me to my point--great place in general, but they don't always hit on all pistons to consistently be classy. There is always something small that makes us kind of grin as an example of the hidden lack of polish there. Having said that, we will likely continue to use this as our quick retreat from home and look forward to it. I can see why there are discrepant reviews depending on the day.
- Also Known As:
- Sundara Hotel
- Sundara Spa Wisconsin Dells
- Sundara Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Sundara Spa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 26-acre parcel is lush with sky-high pine trees and natural Wisconsin stone outcroppings. Respect for the natural resources is at the soul of Sundara's green practices. Our heated outdoor infinity edge pool, sculpted fireplace, waterfalls and curving deck connect seamlessly with the tranquil environment. The main building is representative of some of the most striking Organic-style architecture in the Midwest. Inside, the principles of Feng Shui contribute to a soothing environment. Our spa treatments incorporate the finest organic products from around the world. The Sundara Spa signature collection even draws ingredients indigenous to the area for an authentic experience. Our spa cuisine features the fruits of labor of fresh, local, seasonal ingredients. Sundara is drawn from the Sanskrit word for "beautiful." We interpret that as beauty flowing from wellness. Our carefully selected and highly trained service providers are healers at heart and passionate about their work, putting customer satisfaction at the center of all they do. Whether you choose to stay in one of our 26 elegant suites, or perhaps just linger for the day, we hope it will be a transforming experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Sundara Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.