“Smile to frown...” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Smile to frown...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

From as soon as I walked in the door, I was surrounded by solace. The people were very nice and helpful and the services rendered were excellent. I was, however, very displeased with the very last part of my visit. I was in the relaxation room where my pedicure was drying and I was told that I needed to sit for 45 mins to allow my toenails to dry so that is what I did. While there, I asked about a beverage and Sally (the woman who did my pedi) sent in an older woman with glasses who obviously did not want to be bothered with my request. She actually made me get up and follow her to the locker room in order for her to get me a glass of wine. She then proceded to tell me that she wasn't part of the kitchen staff and seemed very annoyed. I was so disgusted with the fact that I just spent almost 400$ services and I was treated like I was the waitstaff and not the guest. As a result of all this, I did address this with the woman at the front desk and needless to say, she didn't even seem to care. Overall this place was very nice, but some of the staff are anything, but nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hastings, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I returned yesterday from a 2 night stay in room 2023. We booked our room for a Tuesday/Wednesday night to take advantage of lower rates, and we drove from the Twin Cities area (about 3 hours) where we left our 1 and 4 year old boys in the loving hands of grandma & grandpa. Our stay here was relaxing and rejuvenating, and we will definitely be returning here at least once a year for an annual retreat from our hectic lives.

Highlights include: the staff who were all amazing, professional, and accommodating; the room was well appointed, clean, and we loved our view into the woods; the ritual bath area, steam room, quiet area, and outdoor pool/spa area is truly amazing and we started and finished our days here even when we didn't have spa treatments scheduled; the food was great (we loved the shrimp & corizo sausage flatbread pizza and cheese tray) and the breakfasts were great; lastly, the spa treatments we received were all amazing (I did the Sundara Body Boost one day and Hands & Feet Combo massage with hot oil scalp massage the next, and she got a pedicure first day and Shea Butter Indulgence the next).

We also used the car service to go to dinner one night at Fields, and had a terrific filet meal there.

Our stay wasn't perfect, but the couple times things weren't impeccable it was quickly remedied. We did not like some grilled fish tacos we ordered which were promptly removed from our bill, and our coffee maker did not work so culinary brought us hot water and coffee whenever we wanted it.

Sundara is truly an oasis where you can quickly unwind, relax, reconnect with someone and forget about everything for as long as you stay. We left town worn out from work, parenting, and life and returned refreshed and ready to take on the world. We will be counting down the days until our next trip to this amazing spa and hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights in room 2813 which is a villa suite. We checked in with complete ease and loved the reception area, a complete sense of serenity.

Room: Our villa was gorgeous. Had a full kitchen, fridge, microwave, sink, and stove top. Then a separate sleeping area. The bed was super comfy. The tv was very small and in an odd spot we understand some people don't want a tv during this time but we are big tv watchers so were a little disappointed by this. The bathroom was nice with gorgeous tile everywhere. There was a separate seating room with the enormous jetted tub and a larger tv. This room also had a desk with an awesome journal on it that guests of the room write in. I love this touch. The tub was awesome!!! This room faced the golf course. One issue we had was the construction in the villa next door. Each building had 3 villas and it appeared maybe only 3 villas total in about 4-5 buildings were occupied. So why construction would be scheduled in a villa next to an occupied room I'm not sure. After about an hour of construction noise (saws, scraping, hammering) i called the front desk. Within 30mins the noise stopped so loved they had this stopped. We were grateful but i was a little surprised that #1 it even happened and #2 they were not very apologetic about it.

Spa: loved the bath ritual and enjoyed time in the heated pool and outdoor whirlpool. I had made reservations for the Sundara tranquility spa together package Which includes a hydrating bath followed by massage followed by a facial. We did the bath then did the massage ( mel rocked he kicked my butt and it was awesome) and then we were taken back to the quiet room to wait for the facial. It was 20mins past our appointment time and still no sign of being taken in for our facial. So i went to the front desk and after a few minutes was told "we can't do these services today" needless to say I was not happy. I was told people had called in sick and others were in training. I was told they left us a message in our villa. However we had been at the spa all day so why not have our massage therapists tell us. I just don't get how it was decided that our services would be canceled we spent a lot of money on the villa and also the spa package. I was told they would give us a discount but no clue how much of a discount. When we got back to the villa we discovered there had been no message left like they had said there had been. My husband called later to find out what kind of percentage of discount they were going to give us and it was going to be 50% which I felt was very fair and appreciated this greatly but not sure why we were not told this at the start. And still don't know why ours were cancelled. We could have done the facials the day before or something had we known about being short staffed with people in training.

Other: My husband asked the front desk if they had a recommendation for somewhere to order pizza from since we wanted to have a quiet night in and the two ladies at the front desk both just said they don't eat pizza I was kind of surprised that there was not a list or that they couldn't have asked someone else what they thought. The complimentary breakfast is very good with lots of choices.

Overall a very good experience but was a little surprised with some small details. We were thankful to rest and reconnect.

• Stayed October 2012
Batavia, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Sundara is a lovely spa and salon, a peaceful oasis in the woods to unwind and de-stress magnificently. The staff was so helpful answering questions about dining options, spa policy, virtually anything. Being there in October after high season but in the glory of fall foliage, we enjoyed a superior stay. A complimentary car drove us to our choice of dining in town and on a rainy night we appreciated not having to drive in an unfamiliar place. The rooms are quite comfortable, and the spa rituals are the ultimate in relaxation. We were also able to enjoy a heated outdoor pool even in the rain! If you can afford it, go for it! You won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Homewood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My two girlfiends and I spent the most amazing 2 nights at Sundara. The only thing we will do differently next time is to pack much LESS clothes! All we needed from check-in to check-out was the wonderfully soft robes that Sundara provided and our swimsuits. We enjoyed everything--the food was delicious, the outdoor pool and whirlpool were wonderful, as was the indoor spa. We all had the Rest Assured Soak and Massage and the Bountiful Harvest Massage. We left Sundara feeling so completely relaxed, and we are anxiously planning our next visit! We might even let our husbands come next time ... maybe!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Tranquil peacefilled space is found at Sundara to renew the tired and weary spirit!
Beautiful, quiet ,and restful rooms, spa services and warm outdoor pool soothed our souls.
Organic food was fabulous for our tastebuds, kind and respectful staff supported our needs,
and the outdoor fire inspired conversation outside of the daly grind for my husband and me:-)
We will be back! Love their music, hot tubs and white robes. Read, talk and fall in love all over!

Room Tip: plush room with hot tub, fireplace and screen porch was beautiful, but a smaller room would be just...