“Reconnected and relaxed...but a few unexpected issues” 4 of 5 stars

920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago
“Reconnected and relaxed...but a few unexpected issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights in room 2813 which is a villa suite. We checked in with complete ease and loved the reception area, a complete sense of serenity.

Room: Our villa was gorgeous. Had a full kitchen, fridge, microwave, sink, and stove top. Then a separate sleeping area. The bed was super comfy. The tv was very small and in an odd spot we understand some people don't want a tv during this time but we are big tv watchers so were a little disappointed by this. The bathroom was nice with gorgeous tile everywhere. There was a separate seating room with the enormous jetted tub and a larger tv. This room also had a desk with an awesome journal on it that guests of the room write in. I love this touch. The tub was awesome!!! This room faced the golf course. One issue we had was the construction in the villa next door. Each building had 3 villas and it appeared maybe only 3 villas total in about 4-5 buildings were occupied. So why construction would be scheduled in a villa next to an occupied room I'm not sure. After about an hour of construction noise (saws, scraping, hammering) i called the front desk. Within 30mins the noise stopped so loved they had this stopped. We were grateful but i was a little surprised that #1 it even happened and #2 they were not very apologetic about it.

Spa: loved the bath ritual and enjoyed time in the heated pool and outdoor whirlpool. I had made reservations for the Sundara tranquility spa together package Which includes a hydrating bath followed by massage followed by a facial. We did the bath then did the massage ( mel rocked he kicked my butt and it was awesome) and then we were taken back to the quiet room to wait for the facial. It was 20mins past our appointment time and still no sign of being taken in for our facial. So i went to the front desk and after a few minutes was told "we can't do these services today" needless to say I was not happy. I was told people had called in sick and others were in training. I was told they left us a message in our villa. However we had been at the spa all day so why not have our massage therapists tell us. I just don't get how it was decided that our services would be canceled we spent a lot of money on the villa and also the spa package. I was told they would give us a discount but no clue how much of a discount. When we got back to the villa we discovered there had been no message left like they had said there had been. My husband called later to find out what kind of percentage of discount they were going to give us and it was going to be 50% which I felt was very fair and appreciated this greatly but not sure why we were not told this at the start. And still don't know why ours were cancelled. We could have done the facials the day before or something had we known about being short staffed with people in training.

Other: My husband asked the front desk if they had a recommendation for somewhere to order pizza from since we wanted to have a quiet night in and the two ladies at the front desk both just said they don't eat pizza I was kind of surprised that there was not a list or that they couldn't have asked someone else what they thought. The complimentary breakfast is very good with lots of choices.

Overall a very good experience but was a little surprised with some small details. We were thankful to rest and reconnect.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Batavia, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Sundara is a lovely spa and salon, a peaceful oasis in the woods to unwind and de-stress magnificently. The staff was so helpful answering questions about dining options, spa policy, virtually anything. Being there in October after high season but in the glory of fall foliage, we enjoyed a superior stay. A complimentary car drove us to our choice of dining in town and on a rainy night we appreciated not having to drive in an unfamiliar place. The rooms are quite comfortable, and the spa rituals are the ultimate in relaxation. We were also able to enjoy a heated outdoor pool even in the rain! If you can afford it, go for it! You won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Homewood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My two girlfiends and I spent the most amazing 2 nights at Sundara. The only thing we will do differently next time is to pack much LESS clothes! All we needed from check-in to check-out was the wonderfully soft robes that Sundara provided and our swimsuits. We enjoyed everything--the food was delicious, the outdoor pool and whirlpool were wonderful, as was the indoor spa. We all had the Rest Assured Soak and Massage and the Bountiful Harvest Massage. We left Sundara feeling so completely relaxed, and we are anxiously planning our next visit! We might even let our husbands come next time ... maybe!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Tranquil peacefilled space is found at Sundara to renew the tired and weary spirit!
Beautiful, quiet ,and restful rooms, spa services and warm outdoor pool soothed our souls.
Organic food was fabulous for our tastebuds, kind and respectful staff supported our needs,
and the outdoor fire inspired conversation outside of the daly grind for my husband and me:-)
We will be back! Love their music, hot tubs and white robes. Read, talk and fall in love all over!

Room Tip: plush room with hot tub, fireplace and screen porch was beautiful, but a smaller room would be just...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We are planning our next visit and will make this an annual getaway for sure. I went with my friend who was celebrating her birthday and we had a very relaxing time. This next trip will be with my husband to celebrate our birthdays and anniversary. Can't wait!

• Stayed September 2012
Altoona, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had very high expectations when going to this spa. This was supposed to be my first night away from my new baby. I was bringing a girlfriend who was also a new mom. The purpose of the trip was relaxation and finally a good nights sleep!!!!
Upon arrival, we asked the front desk if it was ok for us to have guests in our room. We had friends in the area who were coming to meet us for dinner and we decided to order room service instead of going somewhere. They said they did allow guests in the room, and we proceeded to order over $100 in room service. After dinner our guests left around 8pm. The staff at the front saw us walk our guests out. We then had a drink by the pool and headed to our room for bed. All of a sudden, at 10:40 pm we got a phone call to our room. It was the front desk asking if our guests had left. They said they had a policy that guests need to leave by 10pm. It was almost as if the staff thought we were sneaking people in. We were extremely offended to get a call at such a late hour!!!!! This was finally our night of good sleep. The spa doesn't even allow cell phones on common grounds, that is how relaxing they want it to be. Why they felt it was necessary to call at such a late hour is beyond me!!! They ended up giving us $25 off our bill, but I feel that was the least they could do!
I have to admit, the spa itself was beautiful, but the staff and how the spa is managed was horrible. We had a pedicure also while we were there (value $85). I work in the beauty industry and there is nothing unique about their pedicure. You could get the same pedicure in the mall for $25. Definitely not worth the money!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was our second visit to Sundara. We enjoyed a plush suite.The screen porch area was very comfortable and has a great view. Take time to walk the grounds, they are peaceful.
The spa services that I tried were the best. The two women were talented and I felt at ease for the entire process. It is a wonderful spa to enjoy.
We felt that the breakfast service had been improved from our first visit. The room service is good and adds to the get away from it all experience. Dinner by the fireplace was nice.
The pool area is one of the great places to unwind. The problem is that anyone can book a spa service and enjoy the pool all day. These guests yelled out at the pool and kept track of all the other hotels they were staying at. They used cellphones. It made a beautiful afternoon, loud and noisy. The guests staying at the inn were quiet, the others did not stay quiet for a minute. This needs to be improved. At night the sound from the open fire area will carry up to the suite. It is not the inn's fault that a group of women used foul language.
An escape with some needless noise.

Room Tip: Try a plush suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!