“Been going for 7 years and will keep returning” 5 of 5 stars

920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #24 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Been going for 7 years and will keep returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I look forward to our trips to Sundara every year. We just returned tonight from a 5 day 4 night stay. This trip was the best by far. It seems Sundara is trying hard to make all guests feel welcomed and relaxed. Front desk staff was the friendliest we have seen and made sure we were enjoying our stay every time we walked by. The grounds and suites are immaculate and in fantastic condition and the dining was outstanding as always. Sundara is hitting on all cylinders these days, DO NOT HESITATE TO BOOK A STAY! Not sure why some are giving bad reviews, our recent 5 day stay was long enough that IF there was something negative about the resort we would have experienced it. WE DID NOT! Do yourself a favor and plan a get away, you won't regret the decision!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

i had spa services there a couple years ago but this time my husband and I got a suite and OMG! It was huge and unique, the bath tub was so major with jets and the shower with 6 jets and seats was over the top. The food on site was very fresh and quite nice. The spa is lovely and the pool outside is heated and a lot of fun. A must!

Room Tip: esculsive suite was what we had and the bath tub is worth it
Wausau, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here to celebrate our anniversary. I wanted to love it, but it just is not on par with the Kohler Spa or Aspira Spa in Wisconsin. The facilities are beautiful, and I love that it has a secluded feel to it but is just minutes from restaurants, bars, golf, amusement parks, and shopping. When we arrived we followed the signs to check-in. I opened a door, walked into a gift shop that was connected to a spa, and was surprised to see that was where we checked in. I thought they would have a little more of a nicer set-up for guest check-in, it felt very chaotic and out of place, as the people at the desk were not only taking care of hotel guests but spa guests as well.
We took the elevator up to our room on the 3rd floor, and were very happy with it visually when we walked in. Big king sized bed, fireplace, and amazing shower with multiple jets. However, the bed was the creakiest bed I have ever slept on. It creaked loudly every time we moved even the slightest bit while sleeping. This was very annoying. The other problem with the room was that both of the bathroom sinks were clogged. You couldn't even wash your hands quickly without the water rising all the way to the top.
The next day we used the spa facilities. I took the elevator down to the spa from our room, and wandered around until I found the spa entrance as there was no one there to guide me. I walked into the spa, and again wandered around aimlessly through the locker room and finally out to the ritual area, as there was no spa attendant to greet me, give me slippers/a robe, or offer to give me a tour of the facilities. The ritual was nice and refreshing, going from shower to steam room, shower to hot tub, the cold tub. I then walked into the meditation room which was very clean, offered several different types of teas and water, and granola to snack on. Then I went outside, and viewed the beautiful infinity pool and hot tubs. They also have a nice fire place out there with chairs around it to relax. It was very busy outside for a Friday mid morning, and there was no server out there to take drink orders, nor was there a bartender at the bar. I laid out there for awhile, then returned to the room to shower and dress. My husband and I returned to the pool area for lunch. I forgot to mention we had dinner the night before. Everything we ordered for both meals was delicious. My husband had the crab cake for dinner, and I had the butternut squash ravioli. The crab cake was really great. For lunch we shared the bruschetta appetizer which was excellent, and then both had caesar salads, and bloody marys. The drinks were very good. The attendant who brought our food to the room for dinner was fine, very quiet and zero personality, but at least she wasn't rude. The waitress at lunch acted like we were bothering her by ordering lunch and drinks. And they automatically add a 20% gratuity to the bill, which is ridiculous to give to someone who's not doing their job.

In conclusion, Sundara has beautiful facilities to offer. But they need to do a better job taking care of them. Also, they need to hire additional staff and train them on how to properly take care of their guests.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This was Our first visit to the Spa and we had a wonderful experience unlike some of the other reviewers. We were relaxed and rested after 2 days there. My husband and I get massages regularly and the ones we had rank right up there with the best of them. While I did not think my massage therapist exerted as much pressure as I was used to, I definitely felt her touch the next day and that is a good thing in my opinion. The breakfast was disappointing after enjoying a scrumptious meal in our room the night before. My husband had the duck and I had the crab cake. We split the cheese tray and enjoyed some of fresh juices that the menu offered. The following day we both had the fish tacos and they did not disappoint. And the shower? You will want to stay in it FOREVER!!!!! We will definitely return.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

(I meant to submit this months ago. We stayed in Mid-December 2011)

I have been looking forward to staying at Sundara with my boyfriend for
months. It was our first visit there, our first vacation together really,
and Sundara came highly recommended via the concierge at the hotel in which
we both work. In my anticipation I spent a lot of time reading reviews and
looking at photos, and admittedly I was worried that all the 'hype' I'd
built up was too good to be true.

In terms of the property and the room, I was overwhelmed. We booked a
Shaanta suite, and both the room and the bathtub were far bigger than we
expected. Through decor and location, Sundara makes you feel as though you
are far away from everything. I was concerned that I would have a difficult
time "turning off" for the purpose of this trip, but it seemed like
worrisome thoughts couldn't penetrate me. I think being there during off season lent really well to the seclusion and peace of the facilities. For the most part, when we went through the bath ritual/went for a swim in the pool, we were the only ones there. Both of these particular amenities were wondrous. It was particularly cold out when we chose to swim, but the water in the pool was quite nice.

A lot of the other reviews here are right about the staff - while I wouldn't say they were rude, there was a loftiness about them that was a bit disappointing. I work at a four-star property and all of our staff make it a point to engage with our guests to make them feel welcome. In this case, I felt like the front desk staff were on the whole indifferent to our arrival. The welcome to a resort is every bit a part of the entire experience of staying somewhere, and this should be kept in mind if you really want to immerse guests in a warm/welcoming environment. Also correct are the comments about the breakfast being underwhelming. Still, it's a nice service to have and their granola is quite tasty.

Overall, it was an incredible stay. We are already planning on returning next winter. We thought it was a really nice touch that our room had a comment book left in it, where prior guests of that room could write about their stays. We did not order spa services this time, and while we intend to next time, we had a perfectly relaxing stay without massages. Having a great time here is definitely about the company you have while staying. I'm lucky to have such an incredible partner - he was the biggest factor in making this luxurious trip a relaxing and amazing time.

Room Tip: Consider going in the off season. Feeling like the only ones there really adds to that feeling of &q...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

first I wan to start off by saying the spa is a beautiful place the food is good we liked it so much the first 2 times we wanted to go back so I had my wife try to make reservations and they told her the last time we were there we left papers on floor and straws in sink THATS RIGHT NEWS PAPERS ON THE FLOOR NO WE DID NOT BREAK ANYTHING NO WE DID NOT STAIN ANYTHING THAT TOOK LONG TO CLEAN UP AND NO WE DID NOT MAKE NOISE THAT KEPT PEOPLE UP LIKE THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR THATS RIGHT NEWS PAPERS ON FLOOR after my wife talked to the mamager she was so up set she called and told me about it I called right away to find out what was going on the manager that my wife got scolded from was not in and that was just a short time after my wife talked to her so Rick got on the phone and with in 15 seconds he told me to find another spa I could not even get a word in so if you go to the place be scared of the news papers that thay put outside of your door its a trap the cleaning lady must not want to work or has a bad back or just crankey. we spent around 800 dollars a night I thought picking up news papers was in the cost do not for get we stayed 2 times before and did the same thing and that was ok so maybe the cleaning lady woke up on the wrong side of bed. here comes the good news we called kholer watter spa they booked us and upgraded us to top room because thay wanted us back when we checked in at kholer I went for ice the cleaning lady took my ice bucket and went to fill it up with out even asking so stick with kholer people who work their seem to like to work more than at sundara good luck do not waste your money go to KHOLER

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

The staff was pleasant and helpful except for the ones working the front desk. Requests for tours were ignored. The front desk staff talked loud and often to themselves but not the guests. They acted like it was SUCH an inconvenience for us to go and ask for supplies or to have questions answered. The girl taking our reservation made a mistake on when our second massage was requested. I tried to explain this on the phone when they called to confirm the reservation, to no avail. I was told that no other times were available. I called directly to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. A person came on the phone and I received the same response. You cannot change a reservation. Later I talked to the manager in person and the voice was not the same.
I checked into the spa a couple weeks later and asked again (after being ignored by the front desk for several minutes because they were busy doing some kind of paperwork) and tried to explain again the mistake that was made concerning our massage time and was told that it can be changed but that I would have to pay for the other session I booked because the massage would not be with the same company. I guess Sundara does not do their own massages as stated, but subcontract them.

The stay was pleasant but upon check out they tried to overcharge me by about three hundred dollars. The person at the front desk would not listen when I tried to explain the package deal I had signed up for and I had the confirmation numbers and the like. It was like talking to a bottle of water. When I was leaving I heard the manager say, in a very condescending tone, as I was leaving “What was his problem” loud enough for everyone to hear.

We voiced our concerns to the main office who got back to us asking us to describe what happened but never heard back from them.

Room Tip: Specufi waht room you are getting and state that you are not paying more if they upgrade you because...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!