“Beautiful Place and wonderful service.” 4 of 5 stars

920 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #25 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Illinois
“Beautiful Place and wonderful service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We went here for three nights to recover from some tough emotional times. They are very quiet and helpful. The spa ritual felt great and we enjoyed the pool all day in Nov. a treat.
We had a villa and with the kitchen had space to make a dinner. The only problem with the middle style villas is they have no chairs or place for outdoor seating. We did not want to sit by the pool at times. Two simple chairs would have been nice as the end villas have seven.
The day spa people wear these brown robes and guests wear white. The relaxation room was full of the brown robe people and I did not like that people were laid out sleeping, feet and sandals on the furniture that someone else may later want to enjoy. Perhaps they shoud go to all rocking chairs to avoid this "shelter" type of appearance. I needed a new dry robe after being at the pool and I did receive one but only after a look that was not friendly and being told "we do not keep white robes here". I was a guest and not a day guest. It was not good, this brown and white arrangement.
As we have now looked at our bill, we find a $15 per day resort fee plus the room fee. Plus .75 to make a phone call. Plus the morning breakfast was cold, cold eggs and burnt bacon.
This type of relaxation came at too high a price and I doubt that we would return. We found the Dells area to be too crammed with family venues and we were happy that we went in the off season.
Thank you Sundara for three restful nights.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011 via mobile

Sundara is beautiful, luxurious & peaceful. All you need to bring is your toothbrush/paste, pjs & swimsuit. They provide the flip-flops & super soft robe which you'll wear over your pjs when you go to breakfast & over your swimsuit the whole rest of your stay. All toiletries are available either in your room or the locker room, including razors, combs, hair products, dryers & curling irons. The staff is very attentive to your needs & desires and they keep the place immaculate! The purifying bath ritual, quiet room & pool/hot tub is where we wiled away our days & nights. Attendants will even bring you food & drinks to enjoy there. My husband had a massage & I had the pumpkin body polish massage. Both were amazing & 20% discount because we booked that day. They also accept Spa Finder gift certificates (costco) to pay for everything.
Many restaurants offer discounts to guests & you can use the Wilderness waterparks.
Deer can be seen from your room & if you walk the grounds.
The breakfasts were just ok, but everything else about Sundara was perfection!
We also went on the Original Duck ride, loved the shop Artistic Expressions downtown & had delicious dinners at High Rock Cafe & Del-Bar. A lot is closed for the season, but you really will want to spend most of your time being pampered at Sundara.

• Stayed November 2011
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

First--I needed time away by myself and was looking for somewhere that i didn't have to fly to from Chicago. I found an ad in New Beauty Magazine for Sundara Spa and I knew this was the place I needed to go. I was shocked that I had never heard of this place that was only a 3 hour
drive from chicago. So here is the lowdown.

Absolutely beautiful place in the woods. Modern, Rustic and Relaxing all at the same time. Fabulous huge suite. My jaw dropped when I walked in!

I came during the week which was a great deal. $159 a night for a huge suite with breakfast (which was great by the way).

The suite had an amazing kohler shower and bath. Comfortable bed, sunken living room and huge porch.

I think I had every spa service they offered. Best services were organic facial and Body Boost with Vichy Shower. If you have never heard of or experienced the Vichy Shower--you need to come here and do it! Amazing is all I can say!

Everyone at the spa was over the top nice and accommodating.

I only have a few negatives. Spa services VERY expensive. And, manicure pedicure was the worst I ever had. However staff didn't blink and took the charge off my bill.

I toured the other villas and suites because I want to come back for a girls trip--which will definitely happen in the next few months.

Room Tip: I had a plush suite. however I think all the suites are great quiet locations
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

The rates are ridiciulosy expensive. My husband and I put everything aside to take a break from our four kids and take a little time to relax. The weekend ended up being anything but relaxing. When you are paying $300 a night, you would expect to have your rooms cleaned. At 2:00 we went to the front desk and asked to have our room cleaned. I said, "Our bed isn't made. Can you please send housekeeping to take care of our room?" They send someone and when we got back our bed was made, but the rest of the room wasn't touched. Their response... You asked for the bed to be made. Ok, can u have someone clean our room. Later on we came back.... Bathroom not touched. Third time. "This is redicuulous" They send chamagne and fruit. "please just get our room cleaned. We actually had someone come up to check the room. "It's not that bad" ARE U KIDDING ME. Upon check out they gave us the managers number. We call on Monday to speak with him. He was rude and obnoxious. He informed us that he was contacting the Lake Dulten police department for the way we left the room and that we were no longer welcom. The only thing left in the room were the dishes from the $150 average meal that we had the night before and no, we didn't make the bed. He wouldn't even listen to our complaints and was completely unprofessional. I have never been so offended. This hard working teacher gives Sundara an "F". Don't waste your money!

Room Tip: don't stay there!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
SundaraSpa, Manager at Sundara Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
We appreciate the opportunity to respond to guest concerns and offer a sincere apology when we fall short in meeting guest expectations. It is customary for housekeeping to refresh each occupied guest suite daily unless staff is notified otherwise, or a "do not disturb" sign is left you. It appears something may have gone wrong in this case and in this instance staff and management were untimely in resolving this concern. Identifying gaps in communication is key to improving our processes and guest feedback helps us to be successful in doing that. We do genuinely appreciate that feedback and the opportunity to respond and improve. It is our standard to resolve each and every request or concern promptly, with a smile and a friendly demeanor. We are committed to the guest experience and we are always on the lookout for ways to improve.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My wife and I first visited Sundara in 2007...what an amazing place! We fell in love with the entire aspect of this tranquil spa immediately! A place to relax, re-energize, re-kindle and find yourself again! The rooms are unbelievable...I recommend the Vihara (Plush) suites facing the pool area. The most amazing beds, awesome shower system and soothing whirlpool just off the bedroom! Sundara holds a very special place in our hearts! I proposed to my girlfriend during our first stay in Sundara. The staff made the proposal very special for my girlfriend, now wife, and myself. We have visited Sundara during the summer every year since, other than the year of our honeymoon. We have always visited in the summer, but really look forward to visiting this year in 2011 in the winter. If you are looking for a romantic getaway with the love of your life, look no further than Sundara in Wisconsin Dells! It truly is Heaven on Earth, nestled away in the forestry of the Dells! Make your reservations now...you won't regret it! This will will be our fifth time visiting Sundara...and definitely not the last! Sundara is part of our lives. See you soon Sundara!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are amazing. great place to have a romantic dinner in the screened in deck!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Poplar Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

First thing is first.....I stayed here with my wife for our honeymoon 2 weeks ago. Only one word can explain how it went......Fantastic! It is just so relaxing and everybody who works there really enjoys their job. Which makes it that much better for the people who stay there. Two people specifically that I remember because of how great they were were Ramon the driver and John who is the bartender at the Kabana. Ramon especially because not only was it a small tour everytime we got in his car, he took the time out of his day to give us great advice on our new marriage. He made this trip that much more wonderful for my wife and I. Also John did a great job and was very kind to us. He also took time to talk with us and just made us feel welcome. When you go and visit Sundara, find these two guys. They will make your trip. Of course the Spa was amazing, the room was amazing, the food was amazing and they are not kidding when they say you will be refreshed. Thank you Sundara for making our honeymoon fantastic and we do plan on coming again.....More than once.

Room Tip: Get the private villas on your first visit. I promise you the money is worth it and you will be itch...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
annabanana1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed at Sundara Inn and Spa with my best gal pal over Labor Day weekend to have one last hooray before she had her first baby. I was a bit nervous about how much fun we would have because we did not book spa services and to save money didn't plan on having any services while there. I wondered if we would miss out on the whole spa feel if we weren't actually in the spa.
When we arrived at the spa it was a delight to see how serene and calming the environment was. The resort is tucked away from all the typical Wisconsin Dells tourist stuff (yet close enough if you want to go there and take part in the mayhem). Basically upon arriving you'll notice that the dress code is pretty much swim suits and robes. The staff will provide a robe and sandals for you in your room and you pretty much wear that for the whole stay. There is a lovely spa breakfast provided each morning and it's quite good. Most people went to breakfast in their robes so it was perfectly accepted to do that. The main event on the daily agenda is simply relaxation! Even if you don't have a spa service you can use the spa's ritual bath and the quiet meditation room. There is complimentary water, fruit, granola, tea, and coffee in the meditation room and lobby of the main building. Outside at the infinity pool (heated to 82 degrees!) there is a lovely jetted spa tub, an outdoor fire pit, lounging chairs, and a cabana for your culinary needs. The spa-made ginger ale is divine!! I found the food to be very reasonably priced and delicious.
I stayed in a premier wood-view room. The room was very large and comfortable with a small refrigerator (mini bar), fireplace, lounge chairs, and an amazingly large bathroom with an awesome shower! I could have spent hours in the shower - it was astounding! There were 7 different shower heads/jets! My favorite part of the room was the attention to relaxing details like soothing CD's provided for your use during your stay.
Overall I did not know what to expect at Sundara was pleasantly surprised in so many ways. I thought that the prices were reasonable and it was added bonus that we didn't have to drop a fortune at the spa to have a "spa" weekend. If you go to Sundara leave the cell phone at home and be prepared to relax! Enjoy.

Room Tip: They seem to offer ample specials and packages so check that out before making a reservation!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sundara Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!