“Quiet, clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Baker's Sunset Bay Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   921 Canyon Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Quiet, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My buddies and I stayed here when we went snowboarding in WI. The overall place is great. The entire complex is roomy and welcoming. We opted for a double queen mini suite and really enjoyed having our own fridge, range, microwave and kitchen.

The rooms were quiet, clean and comfortable. The appliances and such aren't modern but for a family resort, I wasn't expecting too much. The idea wasn't to stay indoors much anyway.

The location is good and off the main busy streets adding to the quietness of the place. However, w/in a very short drive (less than 5 mins), there are restaurants, a movie theater and family fun centers. It was super convenient for our needs.

Room Tip: If you want a kitchen, fridge, microwave and range, opt for the "mini suite" rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
CAMPBELLSPORT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in order to go to the kalahari without having to pay the overwhelming expenses. This place saved us money on waterpark tickets as they cheaper than the kalahari. Received free tickets to the indoor amusement park which was actually worth it and very fun for my 2 year old niece. I would stay again especially in the summer as the outside looked fun. Inside pool was good too as my niece did go down the slides and had fun! Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013
Golden Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a valentine's day trip because it came with passes to the Kalahari. My husband and I were very impressed. The rooms were nice, well equipped, and clean. The staff was very friendly with recommendations for a good local place for a fish fry. I would love to come back and stay here in the summer. Seemed like a great place to get away with the family and you can't beat the value

• Stayed February 2013
Monticello, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have stayed at Bakers many times since 2006. They are alway very accomidating to our large group that comes for a car club meet. They always offer a conference room or even there new large party room to us. They also have a great deck with fire pit that is well stocked with wood and keeps it coming if more is needed. The downsides are the towels are very small and they use to have a continental breakfast which has become non-existent since the construction on the new condos began. Overall though is a great place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
DawnBaker, Owner at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
We love having your group stay with us! And now you come 2 times a year! That's great and we appreciate that you are so loyal to Sunset Bay.
I am going to look into the towel issue. We've not changed the size, they are the same size as we've always used but I've seen other complaints recently.
See you in June!
Thanks again for your review!
Owner / General Manager
St Joe MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here in June 2012 and had a wonderul time. The staff was very helpful and nice. They certainly helped us enjoy our time by helping us make better choices based on their comments. We loved being on the water (our room was one of the king suites with a balcony facing the lake). The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, the view lovely. Even with a large church teen group there, it was very quite and peacful-not what I expect with a group of teens! We enjoyed the area-it was nice to be able to get away from the hustle and bustle of the main areas of the Dells and still just be a 5 minute drive away! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. We appreciate your comments. Being a smaller, family owned resort and not a chain hotel, your comments mean the world to us. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Owner / General Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We arrived at the resort at 10:00PM on Friday night and we planned to stay for the weekend. The woman who greeted us was very friendly and assured us that we would love the area, since this was our first time visiting the dells area. She further stated that she would be leaving soon, however, someone would be taking her place that we could speak to, if we had questions.

About three hours later, my boyfriend and I, take the dog outside for a walk and to play in the snow. We exited our room through the backdoor and somehow, the wood prop fell and we were locked out of the room.Long story short, we go upstairs in the lobby area, only to find that it is completely locked and boarded up. We search for the security guard and after about 10 minutes realize that he must have left too. We see on the door, there are a couple numbers to call in case of an emergency. The first number, no answer. The second number, was to the security company and they told us that a security guard would come open the room door for us. We sit on the damp carpet in front of our room, which is located next to a side entrance to the building (not safe at all with the door being unlocked and no staff or security on-site) and wait, wait, wait and 40 minutes later there is a security guard.

I did not feel safe the whole night, mainly because I knew the front desk would once again be unattended, and who knows what could happen. I woke up at 8:00AM, eager to go speak with someone at the front desk. The woman was preoccupied in trying to defend the security guard (saying he must have been there the whole time) and the establishment and did not show any consideration towards me. I cancelled my reservation for saturday night and stated that in all fairness, there should be a discount for Friday night (10 hours we stayed) because of all the inconvenience and the overall terrible experience. She did not discount the night and even had the audacity to say that we should have had a key on us to prevent that from happening. Our conversation ended with the woman saying "well this has worked for us for years" referring to not having the front desk staffed at night or security personnel on site. I commented that customers expect for a resort to have front desk staff and security- its not a camp site, its a resort. The woman said verbatim "well everyone knows that we are like this here" and my next comment " well if they don't, I promise that they will now, after my review".

I am so glad that we left because if we didn't, that would have been the worst birthday weekend for me. It was absolutely awful there, and unless you want to be treated terrible, then please don't waste your time or your money on this place. More importantly, this place is not safe at all, secluded area, no security guards, minimal cell phone reception and multiple open acess points to the building- talk about a recipe for disaster.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DawnBaker, Owner at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
February 15, 2013

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel. It is true that we do not have a 24 hour desk. Many smaller resort properties do this. We do have a security team that we use. Most of the time, they are on site after our desk closes. It was a very slow weekend when you stayed, so on weekends like that, we share an officer with another hotel in our area. This system works well for us and we have not had any problems.
When you called the first number, I did answer your call. I immediately called our security company. I then called you back to tell you they were on their way. They were on site in 6 minutes.
I can imagine that at a stressful time, 6 minutes may seem like 40, but it was documented that it only took them 6 minutes to arrive since they were just down the road.
Again, I sincerely apologize.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Yes Im going to return
This trip was for the grandkids. We had a geat time. Everything was clean and in place. We enjoyed ourselves. Been here several times. This is like home comfortable and safe. Love the price, fits my budget.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Baker's Sunset Bay Resort? Share your experiences!