“Worst experience with customer service” 1 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Theme Park tickets!
Ranked #8 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Worst experience with customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We arrived at the resort at 10:00PM on Friday night and we planned to stay for the weekend. The woman who greeted us was very friendly and assured us that we would love the area, since this was our first time visiting the dells area. She further stated that she would be leaving soon, however, someone would be taking her place that we could speak to, if we had questions.

About three hours later, my boyfriend and I, take the dog outside for a walk and to play in the snow. We exited our room through the backdoor and somehow, the wood prop fell and we were locked out of the room.Long story short, we go upstairs in the lobby area, only to find that it is completely locked and boarded up. We search for the security guard and after about 10 minutes realize that he must have left too. We see on the door, there are a couple numbers to call in case of an emergency. The first number, no answer. The second number, was to the security company and they told us that a security guard would come open the room door for us. We sit on the damp carpet in front of our room, which is located next to a side entrance to the building (not safe at all with the door being unlocked and no staff or security on-site) and wait, wait, wait and 40 minutes later there is a security guard.

I did not feel safe the whole night, mainly because I knew the front desk would once again be unattended, and who knows what could happen. I woke up at 8:00AM, eager to go speak with someone at the front desk. The woman was preoccupied in trying to defend the security guard (saying he must have been there the whole time) and the establishment and did not show any consideration towards me. I cancelled my reservation for saturday night and stated that in all fairness, there should be a discount for Friday night (10 hours we stayed) because of all the inconvenience and the overall terrible experience. She did not discount the night and even had the audacity to say that we should have had a key on us to prevent that from happening. Our conversation ended with the woman saying "well this has worked for us for years" referring to not having the front desk staffed at night or security personnel on site. I commented that customers expect for a resort to have front desk staff and security- its not a camp site, its a resort. The woman said verbatim "well everyone knows that we are like this here" and my next comment " well if they don't, I promise that they will now, after my review".

I am so glad that we left because if we didn't, that would have been the worst birthday weekend for me. It was absolutely awful there, and unless you want to be treated terrible, then please don't waste your time or your money on this place. More importantly, this place is not safe at all, secluded area, no security guards, minimal cell phone reception and multiple open acess points to the building- talk about a recipe for disaster.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DawnBaker, Owner at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
February 15, 2013

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel. It is true that we do not have a 24 hour desk. Many smaller resort properties do this. We do have a security team that we use. Most of the time, they are on site after our desk closes. It was a very slow weekend when you stayed, so on weekends like that, we share an officer with another hotel in our area. This system works well for us and we have not had any problems.
When you called the first number, I did answer your call. I immediately called our security company. I then called you back to tell you they were on their way. They were on site in 6 minutes.
I can imagine that at a stressful time, 6 minutes may seem like 40, but it was documented that it only took them 6 minutes to arrive since they were just down the road.
Again, I sincerely apologize.
Dawn Baker

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Yes Im going to return
This trip was for the grandkids. We had a geat time. Everything was clean and in place. We enjoyed ourselves. Been here several times. This is like home comfortable and safe. Love the price, fits my budget.

• Stayed October 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our family spent the weekend there and had a great time. They have a decent indoor pool, 2 water slides (1 for little kids, one for bigger kids), kayaks/fishing boats that you can use for free, a playground, fire pit (you will meet some interesting people out there), arcade and a few other perks.

The ONLY thing I didn't like was that our room felt a bit "cramped". We had a queen deluxe suite and there wasn't a whole lot of room.

Room Tip: Shop on line, you can find their rooms for more than 1/4 off if you look around a bit.
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed in the Canyon Condo. It was nice and clean. Lots of towels. Kitchen well equipped.
Beds and pillows comfortable. The pictures on the web site made it look bigger than it was. But it was enough room for 4 adults and 2 children.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo Grove, IL (Chicagoland)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

As a travel agent, I usually stay at nicer 4 star resorts, but we got an incredible deal here, so I went with proper expectations for a 3 star. The front desk was friendly and check in was smooth. With the special deal, we had a room facing the parking lot, so we didn't spend anytime looking out. The room was a good size. The TV was ancient, something grandma would own, and had a fair number of channels, though the cartoon network was blurry, which was a disappointment to the kids. The hotel gave us complimentary popcorn and soda, which was nice. It also came with an iron/ironning board, nice hangers, hair dryer, frig and microwave, which was nice. The place was clean and in decent condition. The bed spread was the old fashioned kind, not like the nice runners in a 4 star, but again, this is a 3 star resort. The towels were small and thin, but white. Only shampoo and small bars of soap were provided, no conditioner, body wash or lotion. There is no drying line in the bathroom. Hotel walls were a bit thin, but we were still able to sleep fine. There is a small pool with slide and hot tub, which the kids had fun in. Swim towels are provided but again, small and thin. There is a fire pit outside for camp fires and a game room where they sell snacks too. We didn't get around to visiting either of them. Overall, we had a good time. For the price, it was a great deal, as it came with 4 tickets to the Kalahri Indoor Theme Park. Go with proper expectations for a 3 star, nothing fancy but clean and comfortable.

Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was able to snag an online discount on a one night stay. It included free passes to the Kalahari Amusement Park and there were other discounts and freebies. The room was not top of the line but that didn't matter. I didn't have lakeview as the reservation said I would, but for the price it was a great snag for one night during the time of year that you need to reserve two nights. The campfire was nice to hang out by that night. I wasn't there for campfire songs and that was long over with. We were having drinks and chit chatting. Then lots of drunk people showed up and it was pretty mellow until the guards showed up and they were nice even though things were getting loud. Someone who wasn't part of my party smarted off to them about being rent-a-cops and I was impressed with how the staff member maintained their composure. Nice sand beach, indoor and outdoor pool, access to the water and they allow pets. If you have pets that you need to take along on your vacation this is definitely the place for you. We just wanted a place to hangout after a concert and this place was just right at a off-peak price for one night. Remember this isn't the Wilderness or any of the other modern resorts but I doubt as far as mom and pop resorts go that this one can be beat at this price.

Room Tip: Decide whether you want to be top floor or ground level when making your reservation.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We went for a quick weekend getaway and since they didn't have a hotel room for us for both nights of our stay they gave us a kitchenette right on the beach with two bedrooms. It was perfect. We loved the view of the lake, fed the ducks and enjoyed a campfire with the other guests. Our 13 year old son had fun in the pool and game room. The staff was very kind and accomodating. We'll be back!

Room Tip: were always all about a water view and this is on a beautiful cove
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Baker's Sunset Bay Resort? Share your experiences!