“Excellent choice for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Theme Park Tickets!
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
“Excellent choice for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was able to snag an online discount on a one night stay. It included free passes to the Kalahari Amusement Park and there were other discounts and freebies. The room was not top of the line but that didn't matter. I didn't have lakeview as the reservation said I would, but for the price it was a great snag for one night during the time of year that you need to reserve two nights. The campfire was nice to hang out by that night. I wasn't there for campfire songs and that was long over with. We were having drinks and chit chatting. Then lots of drunk people showed up and it was pretty mellow until the guards showed up and they were nice even though things were getting loud. Someone who wasn't part of my party smarted off to them about being rent-a-cops and I was impressed with how the staff member maintained their composure. Nice sand beach, indoor and outdoor pool, access to the water and they allow pets. If you have pets that you need to take along on your vacation this is definitely the place for you. We just wanted a place to hangout after a concert and this place was just right at a off-peak price for one night. Remember this isn't the Wilderness or any of the other modern resorts but I doubt as far as mom and pop resorts go that this one can be beat at this price.

Room Tip: Decide whether you want to be top floor or ground level when making your reservation.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Ottawa, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We went for a quick weekend getaway and since they didn't have a hotel room for us for both nights of our stay they gave us a kitchenette right on the beach with two bedrooms. It was perfect. We loved the view of the lake, fed the ducks and enjoyed a campfire with the other guests. Our 13 year old son had fun in the pool and game room. The staff was very kind and accomodating. We'll be back!

Room Tip: were always all about a water view and this is on a beautiful cove
Bloomingdale, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The property has a relaxing environment. The staff was very courteous. The grounds are clean and well maintained. We loved the fact we could bring our dog. Unit G or 510 is a great unit to rent since it has a full kitchen and two separate bathrooms and bedrooms. We are definitely planning on returning.

I'm not sure why other reviews are negative. Obviously this is not a brand new resort, but it is well maintained and we had a wonderful stay. I will suggest it to my family and friends.

Appleton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Disappointed. I was not expecting a luxory resort, but i did expect the minimum of amenties. The towels are very small and most of them you can see through. If you could not see through them, then they had previous customer's hair on them. Pulled back the sheets on both of my beds, that were in the room and both beds had someone elses hair in them. Many stains on the floor that I can only asume were made from pet that stayed in the room. The room smelled of old wet dog. I went to the store to buy an air freshener and it barely took care of the smell.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
DawnBaker, Owner at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I'm sorry your stay was not satisfactory and I apologise. If only you had made us aware of the problems you had, we would have done everything in our power to make you more comfortable. We would have gladly moved you to a different room, upgraded you, changed your sheets, etc. As far as the towels go, we do use a very nice quality towel and I've not had complaints about the size of our towels.
Again, I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations.
Dawn Baker
Owner / General Manager
Pittsboro, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My mom and I, along with two cousins, stayed for three nights at the resort. We had standard double queen rooms with a private patio. The rooms were nice, beds were very comfortable and clean. The resort itself is a great place for those who want to get away from the traffic of the Dells. It has a private beach, with volleyball, kids play area, picnic tables and grills. There are boats and kayaks for the guests use, and a place to have a fire in the evenings. There are indoor and outdoor pools, and a spa and hot tub indoors. Property is well maintained and clean, very close to all major attractions, but you would never know given how quiet it was. We went the weekend after Labor Day, and it was wonderful. The deck is a great place to have coffee in the morning. Our only issue was that housekeeping didn't replenish our coffee/sugar on the second day, and seemed a little lax with their cleaning. A short trip to the office solved the coffee problem. I will definitely return. It is great if you like a little nature and quiet when you vacation!

Room Tip: We will definitely choose a lake view room next time, well worth the extra money!
1 Thank Anita S
kaukauna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was our fourth stay at Sunset Bay and once again, it was great. We stayed in the two bedroom/one bath duplex unit and while it was not lakeside, the extra space was appreciated. We were able to park our truck and boat trailer close to our unit which made unloading and loading super easy. The unit itself was nicely decorated and included a full kitchen and a private deck. The grounds are well maintained and the boat dock allowed us to keep our boat in the water during our stay. I booked my reservation online but at check-in, staff was very professional and offered coupons for local attractions. I'm already checking my calendar for next years stay!

Room Tip: Check out the website for really detailed information on the different room types.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I really enjoyed the resort. There was so much to do at the resort. Even after going to explore the Dells the kids still had things to get into back at the resort. The private beach with canoeing, volley ball, the pool and splash pad, the grills. I mean it had the works. The room was clean and we did not end up cooking but there was a small kitchen space. The people were really nice and it was very family friendly. The only thing that I did not like was the pull out couch. That thing was so uncomfortable it took about a week to get my back in order. But the actual beds were comfortable. Our 1 BR slept 5 of us (but because I was left on the sofabed in the living room I cannot say comfortably). But everyone else reported they had a great night.
They also had a snack bar. The resort was off to the side but still close enough to everything (a few minutes away)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family