“delightful family stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“delightful family stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I recently brought 19 people, including young children, here for a five day stay. We had four units in the Canyon building. Rooms/condos were spacious and well-furnished. Kitchens were terrific. Housekeeping could not have been better, and the people at the front desk were cordial and informative. The grounds were pleasantly quiet, and the beach small but uncluttered and made a great place for the kids to play after a hectic day. Swimming pools were adequate if forgettable. Will definitely recommend and visit again.

Room Tip: The Canyon suites are excellent
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Hot Springs, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were happy with our stay at this property. We room was dated, but was clean & the bed comfortable. The only issue we had was the AC unit being on top of one of the bed's in the 2 queen room. Due to this the AC blew right in your face while you slept. It seems like the room could be rearranged to correct this by moving the table & chairs to that side. The kids enjoyed the pool & the campfire time.

Room Tip: Ask about AC placement in room you book.
WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I visit the Dells area quite frequently and this year I came upon a problem of having to find a place to stay with my newly adopted rescue chihuahuas. Before my dogs I stayed at the most luxuious accomodations I could find. I am so relieved to have found this resort and although it is not luxurious it is very clean and comfortable. I no longer have small children so I dont need the big waterparks and I truly enjoy the lake setting the peacefulness & the simpleness of Sunset Bay. I just returned from my 2nd stay in a month, as I sat on the beach I watched kids swim in the lake, build sand castles and paddle kayaks and it occured to me that those kids were happier than any kids I saw waiting miserably in line at the big waterparks. My first stay in June was in a regular hotel room which was suitable as it was just myself, this time my husband and son joined in and we had a 1 bedroom suite. I had no problems at all with either stay but I did notice that the wi-fi works much better in the hotel room than it did in the suite. I hope people will be respectful with their pets and clean up after them so we can continue to enjoy this gem on the lake. The owners are doing a fantastic job with this place, friendly staff and so clean!

WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed here just two nights in standard room w/ 2QBs. Nothing special about our room, but we weren't in it much. Somewhat dated w/ loud AC unit. Liked the location on Lk Delton...out of the way w/ nice paths for walking/running right in front of resort. Lake water a little green due to high temps & little rain. Took two dogs..very pet friendly. Staff quite helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Zionsville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We spent 4 nights here with 3 generations of our family and found the resort very nice for our purposes. The good: There were ample BBQ grills, the pools were thoroughly enjoyed by our children (8,8,5 yrs), the grounds were very nicely maintained and the beach was great! We stayed in a one bedroom right next to the outside pool. The staff was polite and helpful. It also had a fantastic 'little kids' pool area for younger ones. The not-so good: The room was billed as 'spacious' and truly wasn't, however we could deal with it and we found the sheets to be dirty on the pull out (visible hair) - they did replace them. Several have referred to it as an 'older property' and while this might be true, I feel they have kept it pretty well updated (my understanding is there are some newly renovated rooms, ours was a bit older) and also very well maintained. It is also true that if you do some digging you can find some newer properties around the same price, however it's all in what your vacation 'needs'. We needed something for ages 75-5, the Kalahari type facilities would not have worked for us. We also liked the location; close to what we needed. Overall we would go back again if our needs were the same.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Saint Joseph, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed for three nights at the Sunset Bay Resort and loved it!
Rooms were comfortable, clean; staff was very accommodating; facilities were great!
But mostly we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere after a day of seeing the sites. Our granddaughter loved the beach, water was warm and we were able to relax after a day of siteseeing. Will definitely stay there again on our next trip!

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the beach side where the view is nice and the balconey was great!
Ionia, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We just returned from 3 nights at Baker's Sunset Bay Resort, and I was really surprised to see the previous review because they were there at the same time we were. We had no bad experiences here, nor did we the last time we stayed. The upgrades they have done since we were here 4 years ago are really nice. There is a snack bar on the property now, which is really handy, although we cooked all of our meals in our room or on the very nice new grills at the commons area. This new commons building is beautiful, with an outdoor fireplace and tables and chairs and the grills are under shelter and worked very well. We did have trouble connecting to the WiFi at first but as soon as I mentioned it to the manager she was right on it. She offered to help me get connected in case it was an issue with my laptop, but once it was brought to her attention, the service people were there before long and after that our connection was perfect. I would say to the people who wrote the previous review that if you got upgraded to one of the canyon condos for only $70 more than a double queen room, you got a pretty good deal. We have nothing bad to say about this resort. Yes, it is "older" but so are we. Just because it's older doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. I would choose this resort over one of the noisy waterpark resorts anytime. Thank you to Dawn and all of the staff at Baker's.

Room Tip: The new Canyon condos look really beautiful. If we didn't have a pet along, we would have pro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Baker's Sunset Bay Resort? Share your experiences!