“Peace and Serenity with a view of their crown jewel, Lake Delton” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delton Oaks Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Delton Oaks Resort
Save Saved
You added Delton Oaks Resort to your Saves list
730 E Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
rbsouthpaw76
“Peace and Serenity with a view of their crown jewel, Lake Delton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I just wanted to thank Bill and Kate Pettit for such a wonderful stay at their resort. This place is exactly what a vacation should be! It's an older more rustic place and has a beautiful sandy beach, paddle boats, a raft in the lake and slide leading right into Lake Delton, along with row boats. This was an ideal old fashioned vacation which had all its perks and more. We stayed in the economy Building which is located 150 ft from the Lake and the room was very cozy. I was so impressed because yrs ago we stayed at a family resort located right on the lake and it is no longer in business, Delton Oaks had alot of similar qualities that this other place had and I fell in love with the view the amenties that it did have to offer. A wonderful heated outdoor pool, a bonfire at night time, volleyball and the most important thing of all the Lake Delton. Bill and Kate gave me the chance to enjoy a family style vacation with my children and I am so greatful that we came upon this wonderful and very family oriented resort. It is a smaller and less extravagent resort but I would rather stay here and build many memories with my children and come back each year than not to enjoy myself else where such as the more expensive places that don't offer you a old fashioned vacation like Delton Oaks Resort did for me and my family. Thank you once again Kate and Bill for giving my children and I a wonderful vacation. Sincerely Erin

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

This place was gross. The rooms smelled terrible, the pool was poorly maintained, and the bugs were a plenty, everywhere. I'm an outdoors person, so I can roll with all that pretty good though. What really bothered me is that they claimed to be pet friendly but if I had a dog of a certain breed, I wasn't welcome. I will never stay there again due to that. I don't do business with ignorant, hateful, insecure people. To top it off, I've already met three people who have had the owner: Kate, be especially rude to them when they politely asked permission to bring their well-behaved dog to the resort during their stay. Pet friendly nothing, this place isn't friendly at all. Don't spend your money here if any of this bothers you.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Rice Lake, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

I sincerely question whether or not this place would pass city inspection at this point. I see there are a few good reviews---I wonder if the owners keep it up in the summer and let it go in the winter---or maybe it's the bad economy---whatever the reason, this place was absolutely filthy and unlivable. There was a balcony sagging off of the front of the house, deck steps that were unsafe, kitchen appliances that were in very poor repair, stained and soggy carpet in the bathrooms, soot covered heating vents, carpet that was stained and covered in dead bugs, hair and mysterious smears in the shower, the list goes on and on.
Please note, this place is entirely unsafe for small children. The 1970's spiral staircase is not secured properly with a huge gap between the railing and the upper landing. The railing on the open loft has gaps big enough for a child to fall straight through. I'm seriously considering calling local building inspector to make him aware of this atrocity.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My father spent $400.00 a night on a dilapidated, dirty A-frame home which had seen its glory, perhaps, in 1979.

The owners of Delton Oaks truly showed they gave up caring, long ago, when we arrived. The kitchen was filthy. Greased-locked bugs soaked the kitchen vent. The dishes, in the shelves, were far from clean and had dead lady bugs covering them. The cookware was not usable. The teflon pans were so old and corroded, I could not cook my planned dinner, since teflon shards would be the garnish of my chicken tarragon.

The bathtubs still had hairs in them, from strangers long gone. All through the bedrooms, along ALL the baseboards, were the remains of 100s of dead lady bugs that no one had bothered to vacuum. The hard wood floor was filthy, downstairs. I know this because all the children , who were playing on the floor, had brown smudges streaking their clothes.

The rug in the main room felt as though it hadn't been vacuumed since last summer. All in all, the house had not been cleaned in quite some time.

Sadly, my poor Senior Citizen parents, who rented this lodge out to accomodate all their children, grandchildren and dogs had to spend the first, few hours actually cleaning the place. They were embarrassed that, when their family arrived, we would see how filthy it actually was. We arrived before they had time to finish the job. They spent most of the 48 hours apologizing for its condition. It looked much different in person than it did on the web.

Lastly, my poor father spent our last morning, in the Alpine Lodge, doing MORE cleaning. He didn't want anyone to think that our family had left this place in squalor. To put the cherry on top of this sundae, he actually left a tip to "Katja & Veronica" the housekeepers mentioned on the information list. I wonder if Katja and Veronica even exist for, surely, no one had tended to this A frame home before we entered it.

In these tough, economic times, when guests are fewer and far between, than ever before, and the choices for lodging, in the Wisconsin Dells, are growing in quality and modern ammenties, owners of these older, smaller resorts need to put in the extra effort in keeping their properties alive. I feel like my poor father was SOAKED by shelling out $800.00 for this sad-excuse for a lodge. If these owners are having tough times fixing the places up, that is understandable. However, there is no excuse for filth. The only excuse I can think of for filth is "not caring". The Pettit family, based on the condition of their Alpine Lodge, gave up caring many, years ago.

• Liked — The location close to Lake Delton
  • Disliked — it was filthy.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

We arrived 4days after Lake Delton was lost. We were skeptical about going but all turned out great. The outside of the the A-frame & grounds could use a little T.L.C. & the screen doors need some attention but it was very clean and well stocked. If you don't mind being on a busy street corner the deck is great. The owner called & got us tickets to Mt Olympus for $25. each but when we got home they were listed on the resorts web as free for H20 park and $15.00 for both indoor/outdoor park so we may have gotten ripped on that so be aware of that. Otherwise, would probably stay there again.

• Liked — dog friendly, location
  • Disliked — no DVD/Cd player, busy street corner
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

We have stayed at Delton Oaks for years now, at different times of the summer. We have always found the rooms to be clean and the owners friendly. My son once accendently broke a globe off of a light fixture and they told us not to worry about it. (We did replace it before we left.) The owners at Delton Oaks have become our friends. They always make the vacations pleasent and memoriable.

Stayed August 2007
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

Nice beach -- loved swimming in the lake. Full kitchen with utensils in room. However ... I couldn't even bear to tell the owner this ... there were mouse droppings on the carpet in our room. Yukkk. There are $$$$ condos being built nearby, so this place is probably close to being an anachronism. To be honest, I thought the Dells were too commercial, so I won't be returning anyway.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Delton Oaks Resort? Share your experiences!